OT: Hunting/Fishing

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Great to see that guys are getting out on the boat again. It's a little piece of heaven for us after the past year.

Heading out to LOTW for 4 days of musky this weekend. Hopefully those stubborn toothy f***s cooperate. Either way it's gonna be a blast

Tight lines!

Reactions: 10Ducky10

PierFrontMarina

Jul 15, 2021
Great to see that guys are getting out on the boat again. It's a little piece of heaven for us after the past year.

Heading out to LOTW for 4 days of musky this weekend. Hopefully those stubborn toothy f***s cooperate. Either way it's gonna be a blast

Tight lines!

I was in Winnipeg on the lake last summer and it was packed. COVID has done nothing to stop it. I was just at Hecla Island, Lake of the Woods, I was in New York and in Quebec. LAKES ARE FULL of boaters.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Whaaa?!? We've got a hunting and fishing thread?

I am in the process of renovating a farm house on 160 acres near Gimli we purchased.
Unfortunately my boats are crying for some attention but I've got to get the renovations done. I can wait to hunt this year on my own property.
Deer a plenty and a dugout that attracts ducks.
Maybe I'm lucky and there's elk on the back 80.
How's the heat been for the walleye?
I'd suspect they're sitting at 22-28ft right now.
So many questions...thus thread requires more pictures!
*Snot Rocket - it's what we used to call Jacks/Northern when I was a guide.

schmockeyknife

Apr 7, 2021
Great to see that guys are getting out on the boat again. It's a little piece of heaven for us after the past year.:thumbu:

Tight lines!
the fish of a thousand casts. good luck to you i hope you nab one. don't forget the figure 8 technique:thumbu:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
the fish of a thousand casts. good luck to you i hope you nab one. don't forget the figure 8 technique:thumbu:
In 4 hours we saw 6, hooked 3, but lost 2 (mid 40's) boatside. Then my trolling motor went caput

Days like that are like when a golfer breaks par. Can't wait to get back out there because you think you have it figured out (then you get skunked lol)

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
How was the action on Shoe? I may be heading up for the day on Sunday......

I caught 18 smallies and two northerns. My buddies each caught 5 smallies.
It was definitely slower than normal but this heat probably isn’t helping.
Although most were caught within about 25 feet from shore in the middle of the afternoon.
Silver spinner was working best.
Good luck!!

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I caught 18 smallies and two northerns. My buddies each caught 5 smallies.
It was definitely slower than normal but this heat probably isn’t helping.
Although most were caught within about 25 feet from shore in the middle of the afternoon.
Silver spinner was working best.
Good luck!!
Decent. I did good on smallies this week on Winnipeg River. They were very shallow, up in the 4-5 ft weeds.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Decent. I did good on smallies this week on Winnipeg River. They were very shallow, up in the 4-5 ft weeds.

Where do you go on the Winnipeg River?
We’re thinking of trying it with the boat this weekend but honestly haven’t fished there in years. Any suggestions?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Only made it out to Manigotagan for one day trip this year. The least amount I have fished there in over 35 years.
It didn't disappoint. Lines in the water by 8:15 and a slowish start that really picked up around noon hour. My better half out-fished me like she always does but I caught the biggest and it wasn't that big. You can't beat freshly caught fish.
When we decided to leave, she trolled the transom motor on the way back while I kept a line out. She was going quite fast a few times when I hooked up some more pickeral. I didn't think they would go after a lure going that fast? It isn't a big trolling motor and it is pushing a 16 foot jon boat but she had it full blast on a brand new battery. I am going to take holidays the first week of June next year for fishing up there.
I have a week of holidays booked for the last week of August-first week of September for duck hunting and the 3rd week of October for chickens up in the Nop. Can't wait.

Anyone fish in Mexico or anywhere when they travel?

Reactions: Buffdog

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
We went to Pointe Du Bois and did ok there considering the area was new to us.
Quite a few Smallies and lots of Jacks.
One tiny Walleye and a few Perch. Pretty much anything in that river. :thumbu:

Reactions: Channelcat

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I'm hoping to take my son fishing on Friday, and looking for a fresh new option. No boat, so looking for an area that we have shore options. Hoping to find some bass somewhere!

So far this year we have done (from shore) at the LaSalle River & La Barriere Park, Reynolds Ponds and Pine Falls Dam. No luck anywhere. I love the fact that my 12 year old likes fishing and even has fun when we catch nothing.....but I am sure that will start to wane with no fish. Any suggestions for somewhere we can drive (hopefully within a few hours of the city), find a nice place on the shore and have a chance at some fish? Is Point Du Bois an option from shore, or do you need a boat?

Thanks HF Jets!

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm hoping to take my son fishing on Friday, and looking for a fresh new option. No boat, so looking for an area that we have shore options. Hoping to find some bass somewhere!

So far this year we have done (from shore) at the LaSalle River & La Barriere Park, Reynolds Ponds and Pine Falls Dam. No luck anywhere. I love the fact that my 12 year old likes fishing and even has fun when we catch nothing.....but I am sure that will start to wane with no fish. Any suggestions for somewhere we can drive (hopefully within a few hours of the city), find a nice place on the shore and have a chance at some fish? Is Point Du Bois an option from shore, or do you need a boat?

Thanks HF Jets!
Lockport oughtta give you action and a nice mixed bag of species. Walleye, sauger, drum, cats, bullhead, who knows what else.

Atmosphere isn't the greatest tho

Reactions: Cypruss

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
20211003_181130.jpg Some birds and my retriever from opening day.

Last edited:

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Nice bag!

Me and a buddy had limits of Canadas in about 25 minutes yesterday morning, and that was with questionable shooting on both our parts

Put out a spread on the cultivated regrowth on the farm yesterday, hoping some geese decide to start checking it out. They've been flying over the property so knock on wood.
Little experience hunting geese n ducks though I popped a couple in the dugout.
View media item 9704
That's my hunting partner, she goes for rabbit and grouse with me.
Want to get her on geese.
She found the second duck that dove and was hiding in the grass by shore. It was a good shot, just somehow every pellet missed vital stuff by millimeters.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Just spent 4 days fishing for Muskie at Eagle Lake in Ontario. Second year in the row we've been skunked. Had a few big ones circling the lure right at the boat, just couldn't get a strike. Very tiring days.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Put out a spread on the cultivated regrowth on the farm yesterday, hoping some geese decide to start checking it out. They've been flying over the property so knock on wood.
Little experience hunting geese n ducks though I popped a couple in the dugout.
View media item 9704
That's my hunting partner, she goes for rabbit and grouse with me.
Want to get her on geese.
She found the second duck that dove and was hiding in the grass by shore. It was a good shot, just somehow every pellet missed vital stuff by millimeters.
We shot those birds over dozen silhouettes and hiding under ghillie blankets.

They decoyed way better than when we run 8-10 dozen full bodies. I was very surprised

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Just spent 4 days fishing for Muskie at Eagle Lake in Ontario. Second year in the row we've been skunked. Had a few big ones circling the lure right at the boat, just couldn't get a strike. Very tiring days.
From what I understand, Eagle is a size over numbers lake. I've never fished it, but want to. Some absolute giants in there.

I'm looking forward to trolling season. Based.on water temps and flow, it could be a strange year

Reactions: Huffer

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
We shot those birds over dozen silhouettes and hiding under ghillie blankets.

They decoyed way better than when we run 8-10 dozen full bodies. I was very surprised
I like the silhouettes. Very underrated decoy. Also thinking blankets are key. The layout blind is a major turn off the last few years imho.

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad