OT: Hunting/Fishing

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
With the fishing season right around the corner and some hunting seasons open, I thought some posters might want to talk about fishing and/or hunting.

Not lookining for your coordinates or anything but what is everyone going for and whereabouts?

Turkey? Bear? Pickeral? Jacks? Bass? Trout?
Whiteshell? Red River? Interlake?

I will be casting for Jacks in a smallish creek I know of. I saw some in the ditches out by the Shoal Lakes about 8 days ago so they should be putting the feed bag on by now.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Opening day will be walleye in the morning and Crappie’s in the afternoon once the water temp gets up a bit, North Whiteshell. Pulling my boat out of storage this coming weekend.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Does this count...
B2A80D5F-F911-4C60-BB29-9E8A263FA8C6.jpeg

1F0DF583-6951-4396-9582-24959D91DACA.jpeg

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It isn't hunting or fishing but I thought I would throw in a picture of some mushrooms that I picked late last fall.
Pipanki (honey mushrooms). I probably could have picked a 45 gallon drum full that day and I can hardly wait to go back this fall.

Attachments

• 20191001_171644.jpg
    20191001_171644.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Channelcat

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
So we buy fishing licenses online now? And pay a $4.50 surcharge to do so? Why that is very ticketmasterish of the Government :D

Reactions: Snot Rocket

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
So we buy fishing licenses online now? And pay a $4.50 surcharge to do so? Why that is very ticketmasterish of the Government :D
The government farmed out the online licensing to a company in the U.S. they receive the $4.50 transaction fee. Also have to buy park passes online and pay the $4.50, only good thing about the park pass is you can register 2 license plates to each pass, so that saves me $40 because we always bought 2 passes.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
The government farmed out the online licensing to a company in the U.S. they receive the $4.50 transaction fee. Also have to buy park passes online and pay the $4.50, only good thing about the park pass is you can register 2 license plates to each pass, so that saves me $40 because we always bought 2 passes.

Yup. I think the 4.50 fee per licence isn't the end of the world for the convenience of doing it online. I cant imagine all the extra fees in their contract for the maintenance of the website, technical support etc etc. I do think they are kind of silly for just not upping the prices of the licence though as we Manitobans like to complain about surcharges ha.

As for fishing. probably go out tomorrow or Thursday for Brown/Rainbow Trout. Dont foregut that stocked lakes are open year round and where I live the ice is completely off now.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Yup. I think the 4.50 fee per licence isn't the end of the world for the convenience of doing it online. I cant imagine all the extra fees in their contract for the maintenance of the website, technical support etc etc. I do think they are kind of silly for just not upping the prices of the licence though as we Manitobans like to complain about surcharges ha.

As for fishing. probably go out tomorrow or Thursday for Brown/Rainbow Trout. Dont foregut that stocked lakes are open year round and where I live the ice is completely off now.
The online licensing is long overdue I just wish they would have gone with a plastic card instead of having to print out a paper license, or even being able to keep a copy on your phone as evidence that you are licensed. Hopefully they will refine the program as they go along.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
The online licensing is long overdue I just wish they would have gone with a plastic card instead of having to print out a paper license, or even being able to keep a copy on your phone as evidence that you are licensed. Hopefully they will refine the program as they go along.

I "heard" that the reason they could not go paperless is bc Manitoba did not push through legislation before it launched in the wildlife/fisheries act that says you have to physically have a signed copy on your person. once that is changed/amended we will be able to carry the .pdf file on your electronic device if you so choose to. but that is only what I have "heard" via the fishing/hunting community.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Stupid to farm it out to the yanks.
Is there no Canadian company that could have done it.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
I "heard" that the reason they could not go paperless is bc Manitoba did not push through legislation before it launched in the wildlife/fisheries act that says you have to physically have a signed copy on your person. once that is changed/amended we will be able to carry the .pdf file on your electronic device if you so choose to. but that is only what I have "heard" via the fishing/hunting community.
Same thing I have heard. At least they are taking a step in the right direction.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I can honestly say that I have never used a PlayStation or an Xbox in my life.
You don't know what your missing , i use the PS4 for everything Netflix , Prime TV , YouTube and gmail and HF boards . Why stare at a tiny screen when you can watch on a 60" . :nod: Plus it's great for the Music thread because it's all run through the Stereo system. :laugh:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You don't know what your missing , i use the PS4 for everything Netflix , Prime TV , YouTube and gmail and HF boards . Why stare at a tiny screen when you can watch on a 60" . :nod: Plus it's great for the Music thread because it's all run through the Stereo system. :laugh:
I have my computer hooked up to my tv so I'm not watching a small screen and I don't play those games.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It isn't hunting or fishing but I thought I would throw in a picture of some mushrooms that I picked late last fall.
Pipanki (honey mushrooms). I probably could have picked a 45 gallon drum full that day and I can hardly wait to go back this fall.
Never had those. Chanterelles, Morels and Boletes are more what I find but that’s I expect because of where I usually go.
Boletes have to be quick on because they get wormy so fast. Puffballs to. So mostly C/M. Good years and bad years for each.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->