OT: Hunting/Fishing

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Had and amazing weekend in the Whiteshell on our 5th annual father son fishing trip. Boys are 11-12 now. We stay in Big While Shell lodge and Fish at Crow Duck Saturday. Pickerel were big this year and we were releasing at least 2 for every one we kept because they were too big. Lots of “18” types.

Talking to Bill at Crow Duck and he is really concerned that if the borders stay closed many outfitters in Manitoba will lose their camps.
My buddies operate a fly-in lodge. They're not sure what they're gonna do yet.

Conversely, I go to the states to hunt every fall. Haven't bought my tag yet because everything is up in the air. Down there lots of the states use the revenues from non-resident hunting to fund their conservation programs.

Reactions: ps241

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
A good catch from a morning's fish. This is from June 6th and we went back up yesterday and took our limits again. We saw a moose on 20200606_174858.jpg the way up there yesterday.

Last edited:

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Manigotagan? We were there on the 2nd and had a stellar day, lines in at 9:15 4 limits by 10:30. Steady fishing till we left at 3.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Holy Hell that is a beauty. I caught a 25" in late May on Crow Duck. Where were you fishing?
Manigotagan River. He caught that one about a 1/4 mile shy of the beach as we trolled back to our vehicle....bottom bouncer and a worm.

Reactions: ps241

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Manigotagan? We were there on the 2nd and had a stellar day, lines in at 9:15 4 limits by 10:30. Steady fishing till we left at 3.
Not sure why the hot action was so early this year? I was there on the 6th and 16th and it is almost done already. Been fishing up there since the mid-80s and it is my favorite spot for pickeral.
An excellent smallmouth bass lake is less than an hour away as well.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Not sure why the hot action was so early this year? I was there on the 6th and 16th and it is almost done already. Been fishing up there since the mid-80s and it is my favorite spot for pickeral.
An excellent smallmouth bass lake is less than an hour away as well.
I have been going there for well over 20 years, we would go mostly around the 10th to 15th, about 5 years ago we started going in the 1st week of June and noticed that the overall size was much better. I took my brother my wife and his wife, my sister in-law has only caught a few fish in her life, she had a blast, it is a good spot to take people that don’t do much fishing. We launched at Balsom Harbour the next day and she hammered a real nice 27” and countless eater size walleye, trying to explain to her that we were only fishing for fun because we had our limits in the freezer already was a bit of a challenge but needless to say she is hooked!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The big ones are definitely there earlier and they get progressively smaller as the water heats up.

If you fish there on the 10th of June, you are almost guaranteed to get superb fishing.

I used to fish up there every weekend until July and have caught a real variety of fish out of that river including crappie. I usually stay a night or two at the Wood n Bell motel but the fishing buddy couldn't stay this year.

Reactions: Gotaf7

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Any other idiots on here who've been bitten with the musky bug? Probably the most frustrating and expensive habit I have (archery elk is up there too). Opener in ON is this weekend but I won't get out until the week after.

Gonna spend a few days camping on an island on LOTW hunting the toothy mofos with a buddy then I have 5 days booked at annicinabe campground with the family. Can't wait to get out there.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Any other idiots on here who've been bitten with the musky bug? Probably the most frustrating and expensive habit I have (archery elk is up there too). Opener in ON is this weekend but I won't get out until the week after.

Gonna spend a few days camping on an island on LOTW hunting the toothy mofos with a buddy then I have 5 days booked at annicinabe campground with the family. Can't wait to get out there.
I was in Sioux Lookout in the mid 90s and watched a video at Ojibway Outfitters of a client pulling in the world record Muskie. Can't remember length, weight or estimated age but it was a monster. Live released to be caught another day as well. Lac Seul is the place to go for BIG muskies.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011

Muskie addiction is on a whole new level!

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Had and amazing weekend in the Whiteshell on our 5th annual father son fishing trip. Boys are 11-12 now. We stay in Big While Shell lodge and Fish at Crow Duck Saturday. Pickerel were big this year and we were releasing at least 2 for every one we kept because they were too big. Lots of “18” types.

Talking to Bill at Crow Duck and he is really concerned that if the borders stay closed many outfitters in Manitoba will lose their camps.

We were all booked to go on June 7th, but a storm went through and it was cancelled in the morning.

We're now going in this Sunday. I've been in there 3 or 4 times and usually we've done really well. What was working for you guys?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I spent I spent four days at the nopiming lodge at Bird Lake and did some "chicken" hunting. I shot a sharp-tailed grouse up there and it is the first time I've ever seen one up there. I only Hunted the last two hours of light. I20201019_185309.jpg came home with 11 ruffed grouse and one sharp tail. Really high numbers this year.20201018_105014.jpg

schmockeyknife

Apr 7, 2021
Thanks GNP.
Yes usually the best time I’ve found for Drums is from June 1 to June 20 although you can catch them as early as opening day in much smaller numbers. A few in early July as well.
But everything I catch from that river goes right back in! :)
I usually have time to fit in one trip to Shoe Lake every year for some good Smallmouth action.
good to hear shoe is still producing. we caught hundreds of bass there over the years when i was still living in manitoba.

really miss those canadian shield lakes

Reactions: tacogeoff

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
good to hear shoe is still producing. we caught hundreds of bass there over the years when i was still living in manitoba.

really miss those canadian shield lakes

Shoe is still great for the smallmouth, but over the past 10 years the walleye have become very few and far between. A different couple about 5 years ago that we met on the water was advising that a few groups had been dragging the walleye beds with big nets....and decreases in the stock have been severe. The smallies won't stop biting though if you know the good spots :). Just past the group use site is always a good spot to start!

Reactions: schmockeyknife

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Shoe is still great for the smallmouth, but over the past 10 years the walleye have become very few and far between. A different couple about 5 years ago that we met on the water was advising that a few groups had been dragging the walleye beds with big nets....and decreases in the stock have been severe. The smallies won't stop biting though if you know the good spots :). Just past the group use site is always a good spot to start!

Heading there this weekend and hoping for some good small mouth action! Hoping it’s not too late as the action is always better in June.

Reactions: Cypruss

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Heading there this weekend and hoping for some good small mouth action! Hoping it’s not too late as the action is always better in June.

Yup, June is really good - but October has produced by far the best for us. Could have just been a few lucky years - but the late fall camping trip is amazing for fishing. No other boats out at that time may help as well.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad