OT: Hunting/Fishing

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
somebody has to pay for the services. not that hard to see why there would be a fee
In case you missed it my post was half joking :D

Yes I realize someone has to pay for the service......But on the other hand technology should hit two marks when it is implemented .....It should be more convenient and it should reduce costs.....Well this is move convenient... and it has reduced costs to the government, but in this case only by increasing them and passing it onto the user......So it only gets half marks :D

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
In case you missed it my post was half joking :D

Yes I realize someone has to pay for the service......But on the other hand technology should hit two marks when it is implemented .....It should be more convenient and it should reduce costs.....Well this is move convenient... and it has reduced costs to the government, but in this case only by increasing them and passing it onto the user......So it only gets half marks :D

but you also have to factor in the costs for constent tech support, updates, maintenance to the site and staff they will have to hire in call centers to walk through non tech savvy people that cant figure out the website.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
but you also have to factor in the costs for constent tech support, updates, maintenance to the site and staff they will have to hire in call centers to walk through non tech savvy people that cant figure out the website.
Oh for sure I know there are costs (I work in IT and have no problem overpaying these folks lol)......Just figured it could be covered by whatever fee they paid the stores that sold the licenses in the past.....Paying some American company $4.50 a click is way more than they paid Canadian Tire or a gas station to sell the licenses last year as it was all rolled into the cost lol....Did those locations do it for free all these years? I have no idea if they did TBH.....If they did it for free then I am wrong. If they got paid then the buck is just being passed onto the customer in the name of technological advancement IMO.

But I could care less about the couple of bucks it is just funny to me.....I will be out with the kids sinking some minnows in a few days :D

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Oh for sure I know there are costs (I work in IT and have no problem overpaying these folks lol)......Just figured it could be covered by whatever fee they paid the stores that sold the licenses in the past.....Paying some American company $4.50 a click is way more than they paid Canadian Tire or a gas station to sell the licenses last year as it was all rolled into the cost lol....Did those locations do it for free all these years? I have no idea if they did TBH.....If they did it for free then I am wrong. If they got paid then the buck is just being passed onto the customer in the name of technological advancement IMO.

But I could care less about the couple of bucks it is just funny to me.....I will be out with the kids sinking some minnows in a few days :D

I agree the cost of 4.50 isn't a big thing for me either. They should of just upped the price of the licence and said it was the cost of the new system instead of adding a surcharge onto the price. People seem to react differently when there is a surcharge instead of a change of price.

I believe retailers only received 2$ a sale or something? It would of been nice if it was a Canadian company but I think they rushed to get online and just went with a company that already had all the infrastructure in place to roll it out asap.

Reactions: SCP Guy

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Looking forward to our 5th annual Father son fishing trip in late May. We started this when our kids were 7 and all played on the same Hockey team 4 sons 4 dads.

Its a great tradition where the boys get to be boys old and young!

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Looking forward to our 5th annual Father son fishing trip in late May. We started this when our kids were 7 and all played on the same Hockey team 4 sons 4 dads.

Its a great tradition where the boys get to be boys old and young!
Where are you going?

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Do you take your own boats or rent?
We stay at Big Whiteshell and we rent boats from Bill, I had a boat cached at Crowduck but someone put a bunch axe holes in the bottom of it.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We stay at Big Whiteshell and we rent boats from Bill, I had a boat cached at Crowduck but someone put a bunch axe holes in the bottom of it.

We do the same we stay at cottages one lake over and Bill picks us up by barge and we rent boats from him....Bill’s a good guy.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

We do the same we stay at cottages one lake over and Bill picks us up by barge and we rent boats from him....Bill’s a good guy.
This sounds like a segment on The Red Green Show

Reactions: ps241

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Ya Bill is definitely doing a job that suits his personality, top notch guy, we used to stay at Crowduck, but once the Muricans discovered the lake Bill asked if we would move to Big Whiteshell. Apparently we were to loud.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
So we buy fishing licenses online now? And pay a $4.50 surcharge to do so? Why that is very ticketmasterish of the Government :D
Yeah I brought mine online already as well as the park pass. Guess what? I had the PRIVILEGE of paying an extra $4.50 for BOTH even though it was the same transaction so I can print out my passes and license.
What a crock of shit...Government logic.

*Grumble Gumble*

Went out for suckers last week and Wednesday...either they ran stupid early or they are just starting now. Very few to be had.
Love to go spring hunting, but I have to scan the list of newly banned firearms as there are apparently bolt actions as well as cartridge bans as well...not going to say more about that as it gets political fast.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ya Bill is definitely doing a job that suits his personality, top notch guy, we used to stay at Crowduck, but once the Muricans discovered the lake Bill asked if we would move to Big Whiteshell. Apparently we were to loud.

I admire a guy like Bill who is committed to pleasing guests. That can get exhausting and he doesn’t seem to waiver in his approach. Too bad you guys got ousted but being outside in the other Cabins works pretty dam well too.

I love that us dads are making amazing memories with our boys and we started with them when they were 7. Us dads got drunk at a parent party and hatched the plan and I knew it would be an annual that night. I know it sounds cheesy but they are being raised in a different world than I was and I think it’s great we can show them how men from another era bond. We are unapologetically old school dads and I really enjoy having a boys weekend. The dads are all responsible but we go pretty hard over The weekend and laugh harder. Just boys being boys teaching them about fishing and lifetime friendships.

Makin memories

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
I admire a guy like Bill who is committed to pleasing guests. That can get exhausting and he doesn’t seem to waiver in his approach. Too bad you guys got ousted but being outside in the other Cabins works pretty dam well too.

I love that us dads are making amazing memories with our boys and we started with them when they were 7. Us dads got drunk at a parent party and hatched the plan and I knew it would be an annual that night. I know it sounds cheesy but they are being raised in a different world than I was and I think it’s great we can show them how men from another era bond. We are unapologetically old school dads and I really enjoy having a boys weekend. The dads are all responsible but we go pretty hard over The weekend and laugh harder. Just boys being boys teaching them about fishing and lifetime friendships.

Makin memories

Making memories is what it’s all about! :thumbu:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yeah I brought mine online already as well as the park pass. Guess what? I had the PRIVILEGE of paying an extra $4.50 for BOTH even though it was the same transaction so I can print out my passes and license.
What a crock of shit...Government logic.

*Grumble Gumble*

Went out for suckers last week and Wednesday...either they ran stupid early or they are just starting now. Very few to be had.
Love to go spring hunting, but I have to scan the list of newly banned firearms as there are apparently bolt actions as well as cartridge bans as well...not going to say more about that as it gets political fast.
The jack fish were running April 7th so I'm guessing the suckers finished a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Opening day and Sunday was decent but damn cold, I lasted 4 hours on Saturday and went out for another 4 hours Sunday. The walleye on the Winnipeg River were super shallow, basically right up against shore, anywhere with sandy gravel shoreline seemed to be holding fish, water temp was 44 degrees.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Got a bear with my bow on Friday. Nothing huge but it will eat nice. Might still try for turkey this weekend (I've never gone).

Then it's fishing mode

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Smoked bear meat is pretty good...

@Gotaf7 did you run into any smallies?
No, my buddy is a smallie guy he does really well, according to him they have not transitioned into their spring haunts yet. He caught a few off some deeper mid lake humps, but nothing where they should be, water temps are super low for this time of year.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad