OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You were in more danger at Sea World being with an orca there than in the wild. They've never killed anyone in the wild, there are literally no reported cases. When in captivity they can get crazy which sometimes leads to attacks, but in the wild you're very safe being around orcas. That man is very lucky to have been able to swim with them.

This must have been more than 40 years ago,before all the thing you hear about now. Not sure but orcas tend to stay in water too cold for bathing unless a dry suit is used. Took a tour in Kaikoura NZ for orcas and that water is never warm. Then again,the water is never warm in NZ anywhere.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Being in open water with sharks would **** me right up. I used to love watching this show 'Survivorman' with Les Stroud, a canadian wilderness/survival expert. Out of all the episodes he did, the craziest one to me was when he stranded himself out in the ocean on a plastic inflatable, doing his own camera work. :eek:

Most sharks are harmless,avoid the waters where the ones that can do damage are though. I don't dive that deep,shallow more or less since the reefs are the most picturesque anyways. Just need to always be on your toes diving,fire coral is very painful.

Crocodiles are more to be feared as they can tip crappy balanced boats.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Every chicken in the bin is the same size and weight lol and every salmon gets a dye job but don't worry, the dye is good for you.

So it's true that farmed salmon is died? As a consumer,nothing is mentioned if it's farmed or wild. Any way to tell?

Had some massive chicken wings,and to this day,never saw a bird whole with wings that size! Wouldn't want to come face to face with a bird that size. lol.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Exactly, from the shrimp like crustaceans they eat. They feed the salmon the same mix but there are probably other ingredients involved, not sure.

That's pretty much my understanding as well. Not sure but flamingos also can tolerate high sulfuric water or something that humans can not withstand.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Not trying to offend you what so ever! My apologies if I have. I understood you were diving,that's on me,sorry. Just having several wildlife encounters has made me more astute to more potential dangerous situations that I'd prefer to stay away from.
In my modest experience? Everything in the ocean has teeth, stingers, poison, claws, pinchers, suckers, sonar, smokescreens, stealth, size, and/or all of the above! Oh, they are all hungry as hell...

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
In my modest experience? Everything in the ocean has teeth, stingers, poison, claws, pinchers, suckers, sonar, smokescreens, stealth, size, and/or all of the above! Oh, they are all hungry as hell...

River Monster show did no favors for fresh water also. Guess I'll stick to the pool. lol.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
So it's true that farmed salmon is died? As a consumer,nothing is mentioned if it's farmed or wild. Any way to tell?

Had some massive chicken wings,and to this day,never saw a bird whole with wings that size! Wouldn't want to come face to face with a bird that size. lol.
I think that BC might still have a commercial salmon fishery. Maybe some of our posters from the west coast an chime in. I don’t think that there is anything other than sport fishing here in Atlantic Canada. Everything in our grocery stores says farm salmon right on the packaging.

Reactions: Rapala

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Just jumping in here, went fishing on my holidays around Kenora, first cast reeled in a nice Jack, than got skunked the rest of the day. Came to the conclusion that lake only had a single fish. Good buzz though, so I had that going for me.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I think that BC might still have a commercial salmon fishery. Maybe some of our posters from the west coast an chime in. I don’t think that there is anything other than sport fishing here in Atlantic Canada. Everything in our grocery stores says farm salmon right on the packaging.
I knew a cook on a commercial trawler based in Port Renfrew, but they fished outside territorial waters. Not sure what they were after, tuna maybe. I think there's a lot of small scale fishermen with commercial licenses all round Vancouver Island. I don't know what they catch and for whom, but it must be good cause there's a lot of them.

There's a certain time of year when herring are schooling near Vancouver and the boats all gather and wait for the signal to start. It's a real mad affair with people scrambling trying to cast their nets. One year, some guy had a single hawl worth over 1 million dollars. One hawl and it's over for the year.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Most sharks are harmless,avoid the waters where the ones that can do damage are though. I don't dive that deep,shallow more or less since the reefs are the most picturesque anyways. Just need to always be on your toes diving,fire coral is very painful.

Crocodiles are more to be feared as they can tip crappy balanced boats.
Did a jumping croc tour on the Adelaide River near Darwin a few years back, we were in a double decker boat so totally safe (unless it sinks...) but there were some idiots out there in little tinnies about a foot off the water, insane when these one tonne saltwater crocs are going up 6+ feet in the air

Only fitting I guess if they died in Darwin :sarcasm:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't think that there is a commercial salmon fishery anywhere in the Maritimes, it's mostly farmed salmon unless it was caught fly fishing in a river. Farmed salmon is nowhere near the quality of a free-range one and is actually considered to be quite toxic.
News

I wouldn't take anything from a website that thinks that vaccines might cause autism.

Reactions: peate

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Basically, if you’re going to spend any amount of time in nature, you will always be surrounded by things whose sole purpose is to eat you or a part of you. If someone can’t accept that premise, then adventures in the open are not for them.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

From what I understand, the issue with farmed salmon is the possibility of parasites, which spread easily in the enclosed water of farmed salmon and other fish.

Reactions: angusyoung

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That and the overuse of anti-biotics.

Fish is quite exorbitant here in landlocked Alberta, but I'd rather pay more for quality seafood than have to accept fish that isn't as pristine and healthful as the price would indicate.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fish is quite exorbitant here in landlocked Alberta, but I'd rather pay more for quality seafood than have to accept fish that isn't as pristine and healthful as the price would indicate.

Do you mostly avoid farmed fish? Wild stock is an expensive proposition.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I do mostly avoid it. To be honest though, I almost bought whole steelhead yesterday because it looked really fresh and was incredibly cheap.

There are some legit fishmongers here, but it's generally prohibitively expensive to shop there.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I’ll take a salmon that swims freely in the Atlantic any day over one that swims around in a crowded enclosure. I do realize that food has to be mass produced to meet demand so it is what it is.

That is until the mass production of fish farms begins to negatively affect the wild fisheries (also a major food source) creating a positive feedback loop of more farms --> decreasing wild fish stocks --> more farms etc.

Welcome to the west coast.

As someone who has spent years working in fisheries mgmt, you are doing yourself a huge favour avoiding farmed fish.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That is until the mass production of fish farms begins to negatively effect the wild fisheries (also a major food source) creating a positive feedback loop of more farms --> decreasing wild fish stocks --> more farms etc.

Welcome to the west coast.

As someone who has spent years working in fisheries mgmt, you are doing yourself a huge favour avoiding farmed fish.

It's not often I see where the fish is marked wild or farmed, beside shrimp mostly. Any way to tell by eye?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad