OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Going to do some winter camping this year!

Did that once, went camping with University buddies over the winter break in a small wood near Chibougamau a couple years back. We were alone but still close enough to civilization that if things went bad we would be able to get help.

It was freaking cold but I had fun. I drank myself silly often while playing board games with my friends in overcrowded insulated tents. We savoured warm spiced-wine (absolute bliss in the winter) almost every night thanks to the huge stockpile of it (and everything else alcohol and foodstuffs-related) we had prepared beforehand. Despite being young and dumb, I managed to not freeze myself to death despite venturing drunk in the night once. This trip came replete with the unique experience and ''joy'' of sleeping in a big tent with three of the worst snorers that have ever graced the Earth. We trekked a lot, enjoyed the smell and sights of a mid-winter forest, learned a lot of woodcraft from the harcore survival-freak of our group and had a campfire running pretty much at all times. In a fit of happy madness, we made the snowman equivalent to Burning Man, then ritually set it on fire using some excess gasoline that we poured on it, only to then curse as the water from the snow ran with the gasoline, rendering it useless quite rapidly and only managing to melt our masterpiece halfway, with small fiery puddles still burning on the sides of the snowman.

It was wonderful, and I sincerely hope you also have such an awesome winter camping experience. Cheers.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Did that once, went camping with University buddies over the winter break in a small wood near Chibougamau a couple years back. We were alone but still close enough to civilization that if things went bad we would be able to get help.

It was freaking cold but I had fun. I drank myself silly often while playing board games with my friends in overcrowded insulated tents. We savoured warm spiced-wine (absolute bliss in the winter) almost every night thanks to the huge stockpile of it (and everything else alcohol and foodstuffs-related) we had prepared beforehand. Despite being young and dumb, I managed to not freeze myself to death despite venturing drunk in the night once. This trip came replete with the unique experience and ''joy'' of sleeping in a big tent with three of the worst snorers that have ever graced the Earth. We trekked a lot, enjoyed the smell and sights of a mid-winter forest, learned a lot of woodcraft from the harcore survival-freak of our group and had a campfire running pretty much at all times. In a fit of happy madness, we made the snowman equivalent to Burning Man, then ritually set it on fire using some excess gasoline that we poured on it, only to then curse as the water from the snow ran with the gasoline, rendering it useless quite rapidly and only managing to melt our masterpiece halfway, with small fiery puddles still burning on the sides of the snowman.

It was wonderful, and I sincerely hope you also have such an awesome winter camping experience. Cheers.
Excellent

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Gear is expensive as hell! 1200 dollar sleeping bags? I called bullshit on that immediately. Any looking for an incredible sleeping system should check out the US military’s modular setup. It may be a little heavier, but it will keep you warm and dry if your tent fails.
Unbelievable survival product for 350 US dollars.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
After some deliberation we concluded that spear fishing is more successful than line fishing. Of course weather etc permitting. Could be the waters and time of year,but if you can see them,easier to get 'em.

Reactions: groovejuice

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
After some deliberation we concluded that spear fishing is more successful than line fishing. Of course weather etc permitting. Could be the waters and time of year,but if you can see them,easier to get 'em.
There is a guy down the street that had a major portion of his left leg eaten while spear fishing... I guess “of year,but if you can see them,easier to get 'em.” Runs both ways!

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
There is a guy down the street that had a major portion of his left leg eaten while spear fishing... I guess “of year,but if you can see them,easier to get 'em.” Runs both ways!

Sorry to hear that, it's unfortunate,but things can happen down under. Careful as one can be, unforeseen occurrences do happen. Never dive alone and keep your head on a swivel and yet,have still been swept into fire coral and crushed on rocks. Know the waters and what is in them an what potentially might be present. Scariest waters from my limited experience is around the Cook islands.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Sorry to hear that, it's unfortunate,but things can happen down under. Careful as one can be, unforeseen occurrences do happen. Never dive alone and keep your head on a swivel and yet,have still been swept into fire coral and crushed on rocks. Know the waters and what is in them an what potentially might be present. Scariest waters from my limited experience is around the Cook islands.
Sea of Cortez is damn spooky too!

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Just got back from a quick fishing trip on Wednesday afternoon. The fishing was some of the toughest I have seen in terms of quantity of fish caught, as the cold front on Sunday and Monday night really had an effect on the fish. The temperatures we're down to 2 degrees at night. We still caught numerous 2-3 pound small mouth bass and two 5+ pound beauties (had another one hooked as well, but it spat out the senko as it jumped out of the water). We also managed to catch a 3+ pound walleye and numerous other keepers, but we're strictly catch and release.

Reactions: cphabs

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Sea of Cortez is damn spooky too!

Only dove around Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point. Shallow with no drop offs,so all was fine. The SP has these thousand foot drop offs when leaving the shallows of the coral reefs. Giant Tigers are reported to circle the islands picking up scraps and wayward divers..lol.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Only dove around Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point. Shallow with no drop offs,so all was fine. The SP has these thousand foot drop offs when leaving the shallows of the coral reefs. Giant Tigers are reported to circle the islands picking up scraps and wayward divers..lol.
That’s wonderful. Cortez is blue water.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That’s wonderful. Cortez is blue water.

The Cortez is very nice,but find the Caribbean probably the best for shallow diving. Not necessary to have any type suit and no need to go deeper than 30 feet to see some cool things and snag a fish or 2 and with a little luck, some lobster.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The Cortez is very nice,but find the Caribbean probably the best for shallow diving. Not necessary to have any type suit and no need to go deeper than 30 feet to see some cool things and snag a fish or 2 and with a little luck, some lobster.
Ya, I spent 7 months performing maritime drug interdiction out of Cuba. In our down time we would dive/snorkel the reefs.
This was in the late 80’s and the habitat was pristine. Had a barracuda take a swipe at me!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I spent the weekend with in-laws! Never know what the f*** is going to happen while visiting. It’s like compounding normal family life and adding more of it!
I was invited to my estranged nephew’s and his father’s sportsman club for their fall banquet. The kids were fishing around a pretty good size pond while struggling to catch fish. Short casts and screaming. I noticed that my nephew was casting well but was clueless.
At this time at looked at my wife and said “I think I have a torpedo in the glove box. She said “NO!”. Hoping I wouldn’t create a spectacle.
My nephew caught a lot of bass...

Reactions: Canadienna

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I spent the weekend with in-laws! Never know what the **** is going to happen while visiting. It’s like compounding normal family life and adding more of it!
I was invited to my estranged nephew’s and his father’s sportsman club for their fall banquet. The kids were fishing around a pretty good size pond while struggling to catch fish. Short casts and screaming. I noticed that my nephew was casting well but was clueless.
At this time at looked at my wife and said “I think I have a torpedo in the glove box. She said “NO!”. Hoping I wouldn’t create a spectacle.
My nephew caught a lot of bass...

Yeah they're great. Work damn well for early season Pike as well, but they tend to get beat up pretty quick.

Good Uncle move!

I taught my six year old nieces how to filet a trout this year.

Reactions: cphabs

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Ya, I spent 7 months performing maritime drug interdiction out of Cuba. In our down time we would dive/snorkel the reefs.
This was in the late 80’s and the habitat was pristine. Had a barracuda take a swipe at me!

Nice! think the Caribbean is the best body of water to snorkel or dive. Definitely have to be alert with 'cudas around,very aggressive fish. Cuba has some of the best beaches also,if not the best.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Do any of you fellows go duck hunting? I was in woods 2 days ago partridge hunting, also cutting out a new deer tree, seen a few ducks in at the lake. May try it but never been before?

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Do any of you fellows go duck hunting? I was in woods 2 days ago partridge hunting, also cutting out a new deer tree, seen a few ducks in at the lake. May try it but never been before?

Not hunting,but searching for the Kapa, inspiration behind Godzilla.
upload_2019-10-13_11-9-38.jpeg
upload_2019-10-13_11-9-55.jpeg

syuokai05.jpg

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I hunt ducks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad