OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If all the insects in the world decided to revolt, we wouldn't last a week. :laugh:

Yeah but they’d have to figure out how to get through windows first. :D

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Thanks! For a moment I thought that you were implying that the animals on our planet had the ability to seek revenge.... Revenge is a fairly high caliber construct. I’ll be honest, my fruit fly problem from years ago seemed to be a calculated attack on my home, but that was the insect kingdom.

I had a problem with ants in the house this time last year. I fixed 'em but good and word must have gotten out, because there's no sign of them this year. :laugh:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't think that there is a commercial salmon fishery anywhere in the Maritimes, it's mostly farmed salmon unless it was caught fly fishing in a river. Farmed salmon is nowhere near the quality of a free-range one and is actually considered to be quite toxic.
News

Was wondering if you can enlighten us if if is true that farmed salmon is dyed.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think that there is a commercial salmon fishery anywhere in the Maritimes, it's mostly farmed salmon unless it was caught fly fishing in a river. Farmed salmon is nowhere near the quality of a free-range one and is actually considered to be quite toxic.
News

This one I found online from NS, says that it offers farmed salmon but some of its products are wild:

The raw products range from certified farm raised Atlantic salmon and trout to wild harvested mackerel, herring and eels.

Nutrition

Guess we'd have to do more research. Who knows if there is an artisinal outfit somewhere, maybe even in Quebec, that offers smoked salmon caught in the wild.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This one I found online from NS, says that it offers farmed salmon but some of its products are wild:

The raw products range from certified farm raised Atlantic salmon and trout to wild harvested mackerel, herring and eels.

Nutrition

Guess we'd have to do more research. Who knows if there is an artisinal outfit somewhere, maybe even in Quebec, that offers smoked salmon caught in the wild.
There is still a commercial fishery for those fish but not salmon. Mackarel is the best of the three.

Reactions: jaffy27

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A companion of ours actually caught a blue fin,small,but still a decent fight. No one even noticed the other large fins in the area.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Any of you guys/gals have orca stories? Spent a lot of time in the water while in the military. Had one encounter that I literarily **** myself. We were happily working at about 40 feet when there was a noticeable surge of water. We were on the bottom and I was outside left/port. I honestly did not want to turn around but did. There, just hovering and looking at me, was an orca. About 15 feet away. I’m 6’2 and it’s head/front quarter was easily 5 feet in diameter. Crazy part? There were NO whale songs prior. Turned around and called topside. Incredible animals! I would have not known it was there except for the water it displaced. Love it!

WTF? where was this? lucky maybe to be alive! Never saw anything that huge diving,would not like that at all. Seen my share of small sharks diving, but not an issue. Had other issues with sharks though that brought out the Adrenalin.

Got kissed by an orca at sea world,and played toss with some dolphins,they are very friendly.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
WTF? where was this? lucky maybe to be alive! Never saw anything that huge diving,would not like that at all. Seen my share of small sharks diving, but not an issue. Had other issues with sharks though that brought out the Adrenalin.

Got kissed by an orca at sea world,and played toss with some dolphins,they are very friendly.
Was in the military.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Enjoy the story wtf!

Just curious as to where diving with oracs in the area. Prefer to avoid some dangerous encounters if possible. When I dive I know what potentially could be in the area and decide accordingly,my choice.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Just curious as to where diving with oracs in the area. Prefer to avoid some dangerous encounters if possible. When I dive I know what potentially could be in the area and decide accordingly,my choice.
1. We were not “diving” with them.
2. You have no idea what you are talking about.
3. Pestering me for location is insulting.
4. I really did shit myself.
5. You are disingenuous.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
4. I really did **** myself.
5. You are disingenuous.

Not trying to offend you what so ever! My apologies if I have. I understood you were diving,that's on me,sorry. Just having several wildlife encounters has made me more astute to more potential dangerous situations that I'd prefer to stay away from.

Reactions: cphabs and jaffy27

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Not trying to offend you what so ever! My apologies if I have. I understood you were diving,that's on me,sorry. Just having several wildlife encounters has made me more astute to more potential dangerous situations that I'd prefer to stay away from.

Being in open water with sharks would f*** me right up. I used to love watching this show 'Survivorman' with Les Stroud, a canadian wilderness/survival expert. Out of all the episodes he did, the craziest one to me was when he stranded himself out in the ocean on a plastic inflatable, doing his own camera work. :eek:

Reactions: angusyoung

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
4. I really did **** myself.
5. You are disingenuous.
Slow down cowboy.....he’s asking legit questions, at least it seems!!

I don’t think he’s asking for your lat n long, more like, off Vancouver island, or south Atlantic...lol

It’s all good man :)

Reactions: cphabs

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

You were in more danger at Sea World being with an orca there than in the wild. They've never killed anyone in the wild, there are literally no reported cases. When in captivity they can get crazy which sometimes leads to attacks, but in the wild you're very safe being around orcas. That man is very lucky to have been able to swim with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad