OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
My biggest fish ever was a 42" muskie caught on my bass rod trolling alone in a canoe. I had to beach it to unhook it, but of course I was just out of screaming range of my father and cousins back at the cottage. I got a couple blurry pics of it in the surf before releasing it but you know what they say, the fish you catch when no one is around are always bigger :sarcasm:. I still get teased about it from time to time lol. Then again my father is an insane freshwater angler, he's got three 52" to his name and even a crazy 56" beast. I'll check if I can find the pic.
I’ve barely breached the 40 inch mark while trying LOL! My buddies have caught some monsters though.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Four footer! These are the stuff dreams are made of. Have a look at the fellow Clayton Schick on yt, he guides at Wollaston lake in the summer and lands a couple of these every year.
Wollaston Lake is in Saskatchewan....unless there’s another Wollaston Lake?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The biggest one I witnessed caught on the west coast off Port-Renfrew was a 80 inch halibut. My friend Gordy fought it for at least an hour and he's 6'4". He's got a picture of him holding it up with another guy, it weighed close to 200 lbs. It was like trying to land a sheet of plywood.

Here's a similar shot. A bit smaller.
SPORTS_180719953_AR_0_BDHTHZEJFUBF.jpg

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
I got a Bull tag
Great to hear. I hope you have a successful hunt. I’m in NB, so it can take a while to get drawn here. I’m 42, and have only been drawn twice, most recently, in 2011. Luckily, I have a good group of buddies, so we all go together whenever someone is lucky enough to get a tag. We have a great spot, and have taken a number of nice bulls out of there. I truly wish you a safe and successful hunt. Hope to see some pics. Are we allowed to share them here?

Reactions: jaffy27

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
My wife hates this time of year... she has an bank app that alerts her to my purchases...
Lol. Yeah my wife took issue with it in the beginning, but she’s come to accept it. She eventually realized it is pretty much the only hobby I have, and I don’t spend much money on anything else. She tolerates the fall of the year, and pretty much does a happy dance come the end of November. Good luck to you in the up coming season.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yeah this is the one
I used to fly into that community.....a few years back, I’d say mid 90’s, a scientist or some job of that nature was eaten alive by wolves.....went on his own at night to check up on something and never made it back.....pretty scary stuff

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Great to hear. I hope you have a successful hunt. I’m in NB, so it can take a while to get drawn here. I’m 42, and have only been drawn twice, most recently, in 2011. Luckily, I have a good group of buddies, so we all go together whenever someone is lucky enough to get a tag. We have a great spot, and have taken a number of nice bulls out of there. I truly wish you a safe and successful hunt. Hope to see some pics. Are we allowed to share them here?
WOUKD probably have to exchange emails.....don’t think pics of us with dead moose would go over too well in these parts lol

Last 3 hunts of shot 4 bulls and one cow

53”
52”
50”
47”

If I remember correctly, those were the spreads.....we a group of 6

I also wish you a safe hunt.....as I tell all my fellow hunters, the #1 goal of our hunt is to come back alive...control your muzzles, empty chambers in the canoe and when you walk into camp, call the status of your rifle, bolt up and safety on.......cheers man

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The biggest one I witnessed caught on the west coast off Port-Renfrew was a 80 inch halibut. My friend Gordy fought it for at least an hour and he's 6'4". He's got a picture of him holding it up with another guy, it weighed close to 200 lbs. It was like trying to land a sheet of plywood.

Fantastic!

Reactions: groovejuice

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Fantastic!
It is. There wasn't a time when something amazing didn't happen going out fishing. The first time on the Cowichan river, I caught my first Steelhead, a really beautiful fish. Looked similar to this.
page-steelhead_0.jpg

Then it was coho salmon on the troll, biting continuously on 4 lines. We had our limit in less than 2 hours.

The only time we struck out was mooching for Chinook, but driving the boat was my thing, keeping it standing still with the current flowing underneath was the most fun, and seeing Orcas poking their dorsal fins out of the water was breathtaking. Man I miss BC.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The very best sushi restaurants use only top quality product. I was watching (or reading?) an article about sushi where investigators ordered food, brought samples of the fish back to a lab, and performed DNA tests to determine if the fish was indeed the variety being claimed.

Many were not, but the most troubling and retchingly amusing result was that one sample ONLY contained the DNA of human body lice.

From tape worms to this. I might just be done with sushi.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

[/QUO

Wow! One of the best tasting fish to ever come out of the water.

Reactions: groovejuice

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
That video was great and brought back many memories from hearing that engine sound when it started. I swear I could still smell the diesel exhaust after it started in that video. :)

The only difference in the Lister in the video and the one my father had was the one in the video was a 2 cylinder and the 12 and 3/4 he had was a 3 cylinder. After it was pulled from his boat it was in our shed for a few years until myself and a buddy pulled it out and took the engine down and got that old Lister working fine again. We used it for an old sawmill for a few years after that until it completely died after which we replaced it with a 13 HP 2 cylinder Lister.

I used the old manual crank to start that old Lister many times and got a few cracks on the fingers too if I didn't get if off the crank fast enough. :laugh: These old Lister's usually started quite easily when the weather was warm but when it was really cold and the base oil was really cold they were quite hard to start sometimes. Some of the fisherman here would just leave their Lister's running the entire night in the winter when it was calling for extreme cold and the forecast was good enough to get fishing again the next day. The great thing about those Lister air cooled diesels was the amount of heat it generated in these winter months which felt great. My father had a shelter on his boat and it was quite warm in there which was nice especially during those cold winter days. :nod:

Yes even though it hasn't really been all that long ago it does seem like a lifetime ago now once you start talking about it again and the memories keep flooding back. It seems we both had very similar childhoods but that's not surprising since we both grew up in outport NF.

We are brothers from another mother lol. This is why HF habs is the very best team site on all of HF! There are so many knowledgeable people here from so many walks of life and believe it or not, I enjoy reading every single one of them, even the ones that I severely disagree with.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The very best sushi restaurants use only top quality product. I was watching (or reading?) an article about sushi where investigators ordered food, brought samples of the fish back to a lab, and performed DNA tests to determine if the fish was indeed the variety being claimed.

Many were not, but the most troubling and retchingly amusing result was that one sample ONLY contained the DNA of human body lice.

I recall a similar article,if not the same,some time ago and bad enough that supermarkets and restaurants are pawning of cheap inferior grades of fish as something more,pathetic practice. The lice aspect just amps up a whole other level of repulsiveness.

Having visited several establishments in Montreal and other places with some Japanese aficionados of sasimi and sushi etc, they mentioned it was not tuna or snapper or whatever,but hard to believe at the time.

Getting hard to know whom to trust with these deception with news about honey,olive oil,list goes on.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

What did your friend ending up doing with it -- feed a small village for a year?

Reactions: jaffy27 and peate

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Musky are insane. Seriously! The best stories come from people who are not fishing for them, but encounter them. They are the stuff of legend for the bass fishermen/women on the lake I fish. LOL

Muskie are fun when you catch them,if and when. Used to be could only catch then starting in October.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

What a battle! Never caught anything that size,fresh or other,but some large Atlantic salmon can give a decent battle depending on equipment.

Been on a few charters where others caught some hammerheads and marlin though,that was it for the rest of the day.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Smoked eel done right is delicious. I set a hook overnight with a piece of hot dog last summer at my in laws and caught a 4lb eel. My father in law smoked it. Nice white meat.

Caught a few but never kept them,and not that big. Get my share of smoked though when in NL. Little thin guys,but tasty. Seen some intimating ones when doing some dives though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Smoked is great no doubt,love some. Except for all the tourists coming out of the coffeeshops in NL. lol.

I once knew someone who ordered smoked salmon from the Maritimes (I forget which province) and had me try it.

What I remember from the experience is that the taste was so rich that the flavor lingered in my mouth literally for hours.

I was told that it's due to the process being used. In this case, I was told that the salmon was smoked outside, in the sun. I have no idea if this is true.

What I'm wondering now is where I might be able to order some smoked salmon online . Maybe one of our Maritime posters may recommend a place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad