OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I haven't been around for a while and I just saw this post while catching up. My father had 2 boats just like this when I was growing up which he used for commercial inshore cod fishing. Both were also 25 footers and the first boat had a 12 and 3/4 HP 3 cylinder Lister diesel in it.

That first boat was fairly old and worn out when he purchased it so he bought a new 25 footer soon after which was pretty similar. He pulled the Lister out of the old boat and installed it in the newer one for a few years until he started having problems with it and bought a new 30 HP Yanmar diesel to replace it with.

You're right in saying these types of boats could handle the rough weather. I spent quite a few days in that boat when it wasn't really suitable to be out there but she handled it like a champ.
I can't remember specifically but I think that my Grandfathers engine was a 9 hp lister, I might be wrong on that but for some reason it rings a bell. He used a manual crank with a slot cut in it that attached to a key on the crankshaft, fun times. I wasn't permitted to use the crank lol, you know the way that oldtimers were about routines. I used to operate the manual pump, a piece of pvc pipe with a T that extended over the gunnel and a mop handle with what resembled a plunger at the bottom. I can still smell the water lol but she had to be pumped out every day. Off to the two salmon nets, try for a squid( haulers attached) then jig our way back home before he started his second job on the government wharf. Seems like a lifetime ago but this thread and our conversation is bringing it back to memory in a great way. Cheers bye.
This is a 12hp like the one you guys had and it was exactly the same style as ours, I thought you might get a smile from this short video.

Reactions: jaffy27 and sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I can't remember specifically but I think that my Grandfathers engine was a 9 hp lister, I might be wrong on that but for some reason it rings a bell. He used a manual crank with a slot cut in it that attached to a key on the crankshaft, fun times. I wasn't permitted to use the crank lol, you know the way that oldtimers were about routines. I used to operate the manual pump, a piece of pvc pipe with a T that extended over the gunnel and a mop handle with what resembled a plunger at the bottom. I can still smell the water lol but she had to be pumped out every day. Off to the two salmon nets, try for a squid( haulers attached) then jig our way back home before he started his second job on the government wharf. Seems like a lifetime ago but this thread and our conversation is bringing it back to memory in a great way. Cheers bye.
This is a 12hp like the one you guys had and it was exactly the same style as ours, I thought you might get a smile from this short video.

That video was great and brought back many memories from hearing that engine sound when it started. I swear I could still smell the diesel exhaust after it started in that video. :)

The only difference in the Lister in the video and the one my father had was the one in the video was a 2 cylinder and the 12 and 3/4 he had was a 3 cylinder. After it was pulled from his boat it was in our shed for a few years until myself and a buddy pulled it out and took the engine down and got that old Lister working fine again. We used it for an old sawmill for a few years after that until it completely died after which we replaced it with a 13 HP 2 cylinder Lister.

I used the old manual crank to start that old Lister many times and got a few cracks on the fingers too if I didn't get if off the crank fast enough. :laugh: These old Lister's usually started quite easily when the weather was warm but when it was really cold and the base oil was really cold they were quite hard to start sometimes. Some of the fisherman here would just leave their Lister's running the entire night in the winter when it was calling for extreme cold and the forecast was good enough to get fishing again the next day. The great thing about those Lister air cooled diesels was the amount of heat it generated in these winter months which felt great. My father had a shelter on his boat and it was quite warm in there which was nice especially during those cold winter days. :nod:

Yes even though it hasn't really been all that long ago it does seem like a lifetime ago now once you start talking about it again and the memories keep flooding back. It seems we both had very similar childhoods but that's not surprising since we both grew up in outport NF.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I caught my first fish ever a month ago, un p'tit crapet-soleil or what ever. I poked myself like twenty times trying to remove the freaking fish and I tangled my line about 10 times but I still liked it.
Still happens to me lol!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This is what they catch in St-Anicet, 50km west of Montreal on the St-Lawrence.

417372eab37759-6b32-4dc2-aad5-3a25d16188a5-417372.jpg

d7966e8b-2f7d-4cb4-873b-4d4604679141-reportImage0.jpeg
Looks like a Muskie and Smallmouth??

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
2 for 2 right.
Biggest smallmouth I've ever seen was a 9lb one caught by my BF’s late father.....it was on Big Rideau Lake just south of Ottawa....seems about the same size as that one. Nice catch man!!

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Biggest smallmouth I've ever seen was a 9lb one caught by my BF’s late father.....it was on Big Rideau Lake just south of Ottawa....seems about the same size as that one. Nice catch man!!
LOL. That's not me, it's from a club near Valleyfield. I've got very limited fishing experience. Other people's boats and gear in BC. But we always caught something, Salmon, Halibut and Cod mostly.
Dogfish and red snappers sometimes, but they went back in.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
LOL. That's not me, it's from a club near Valleyfield. I've got very limited fishing experience. Other people's boats and gear in BC. But we always caught something, Salmon, Halibut and Cod mostly.
Dogfish and red snappers sometimes, but they went back in.
Man....you’re making me hungry lol

I wanna prep some potatoes with bacon, round up some peanut oil and a big cast iron frying pan.....let’s go fishing....I’ll dress them fish boneless and we can have ourselves a kickass shore lunch!!! Lol

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
No moose tags from this year’s draw. Now I can focus all my attention on whitetail hunting, which is my passion anyway. I’m really starting to get the fever. This time of year really starts getting exciting. Trail cams are now out, and some new gear will be purchased. Lol.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No moose tags from this year’s draw. Now I can focus all my attention on whitetail hunting, which is my passion anyway. I’m really starting to get the fever. This time of year really starts getting exciting. Trail cams are now out, and some new gear will be purchased. Lol.
I got a Bull tag

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Musky are insane. Seriously! The best stories come from people who are not fishing for them, but encounter them. They are the stuff of legend for the bass fishermen/women on the lake I fish. LOL

Reactions: angusyoung

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
My wife hates this time of year... she has an bank app that alerts her to my purchases...

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
To the anglers out there. I am going to Sooke, BC in Sept and was hoping to do some fishing from the shore. Not so much that I am expecting to catch much, mostly just to chill and enjoy some piece and quiet. I have an Ugly Stick rod with Shimano reel (no idea about models). Question - does it really matter these are not saltwater equipment? They will be used for a week or so, if that in the ocean. That's it. I don't feel like shelling out $100-$200 for a new rod/reel combo. Cheers.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Musky are insane. Seriously! The best stories come from people who are not fishing for them, but encounter them. They are the stuff of legend for the bass fishermen/women on the lake I fish. LOL
My biggest fish ever was a 42" muskie caught on my bass rod trolling alone in a canoe. I had to beach it to unhook it, but of course I was just out of screaming range of my father and cousins back at the cottage. I got a couple blurry pics of it in the surf before releasing it but you know what they say, the fish you catch when no one is around are always bigger :sarcasm:. I still get teased about it from time to time lol. Then again my father is an insane freshwater angler, he's got three 52" to his name and even a crazy 56" beast. I'll check if I can find the pic.

Reactions: jaffy27

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Any one know if the eel in '"unagi" is from what waters? in the MTL area, so popular nowadays in maki.

The very best sushi restaurants use only top quality product. I was watching (or reading?) an article about sushi where investigators ordered food, brought samples of the fish back to a lab, and performed DNA tests to determine if the fish was indeed the variety being claimed.

Many were not, but the most troubling and retchingly amusing result was that one sample ONLY contained the DNA of human body lice.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
My biggest fish ever was a 42" muskie caught on my bass rod trolling alone in a canoe. I had to beach it to unhook it, but of course I was just out of screaming range of my father and cousins back at the cottage. I got a couple blurry pics of it in the surf before releasing it but you know what they say, the fish you catch when no one is around are always bigger :sarcasm:. I still get teased about it from time to time lol. Then again my father is an insane freshwater angler, he's got three 52" to his name and even a crazy 56" beast. I'll check if I can find the pic.
My biggest fish was a 49” pike with a 23” girth.....his back was as wide as I could extend my thumb and pinkie.....31lbs caught on Smalltree Lake NWT.....and I got the pics to prove it :nod:

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
The very best sushi restaurants use only top quality product. I was watching (or reading?) an article about sushi where investigators ordered food, brought samples of the fish back to a lab, and performed DNA tests to determine if the fish was indeed the variety being claimed.

Many were not, but the most troubling and retchingly amusing result was that one sample ONLY contained the DNA of human body lice.
Ewwww. How's that even possible?!

Reactions: groovejuice

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

WTF

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
My biggest fish was a 49” pike with a 23” girth.....his back was as wide as I could extend my thumb and pinkie.....31lbs caught on Smalltree Lake NWT.....and I got the pics to prove it :nod:
Four footer! These are the stuff dreams are made of. Have a look at the fellow Clayton Schick on yt, he guides at Wollaston lake in the summer and lands a couple of these every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad