Post-Game Talk: Hundreds (thousands?) get scalded in the shower; RZH and McDrai visit Flushing Meadows

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
GDVpNEO.jpg
He loves the camera and the camera loves him

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Don’t try the Gretzky button hook in these parts with Kassian on the ice. Completely set the tone, McJesus said the same thing in the post game interview.

I just realized McDavid and Drai were going in 2-on-1 when Kass dropped the gloves... fair to say he didn't see that

Reactions: Aerrol

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Zack Kassian did more in that game for us then Lucic did all last season. I think he needs to mentor Jujar and Patrick Russel and show them what it takes to make it at this level.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wouldnt do anything crazy, he has given us a lot of inconsistency in the past, when he is on he's a great player to have but that hasn't always been the case. He is a 3rd line quality player and if he was on a 3rd line all season he wouldn't be producing at a high 3rd line rate, would be pretty average production

I think 3 mil is reasonable on both sides

Term?

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Kassian isn’t going anywhere. That top line has chemistry you just don’t want to **** with.

He’s one of the top 2-3 power forwards in the NHL right now where power forwards are a dying breed.
That depends on if you consider the Tkachuk’s power forwards or not lol. But I agree, I just don’t see him leaving after he found his game again with us, and shut down the rumours last season while admitting he likes it here. Plus he'd be crazy to give up the opportunity to play with both 97 and Drai.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
That's fair, but both teams had basically "settled" into "result" so it's not that rough to have a relaxed 5 minutes over a long long season.

Right, that's what I meant - it wasn't 5 minutes they played poorly, it was 5 minutes where the game was already decided. Meaning, not judging that part, it was a thorough stomping.

I give the team a lot of credit for overcoming the no instigator call after a big clean hit within the first few minutes of the game, and then being down a goal when they should've been on a powerplay.

Awesome to not get discouraged there, and to tie the game quickly and then just take over. Credit to Kassian for keeping up the physicality.

Nurse is definitely not sending that ref a Christmas card.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Right, that's what I meant - it wasn't 5 minutes they played poorly, it was 5 minutes where the game was already decided. Meaning, not judging that part, it was a thorough stomping.

I give the team a lot of credit for overcoming the no instigator call after a big clean hit within the first few minutes of the game, and then being down a goal when they should've been on a powerplay.

Awesome to not get discouraged there, and to tie the game quickly and then just take over. Credit to Kassian for keeping up the physicality.

Nurse is definitely not sending that ref a Christmas card.
I sort of missed it after the scrap, but I was surprised the Oilers didn't end up short handed. You are quite correct, the team bouncing back to destroy the Avs after the no instigator and giving up the first goal was a hell of thing to see and a major statement imo.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I just realized McDavid and Drai were going in 2-on-1 when Kass dropped the gloves... fair to say he didn't see that

If it makes you feel better, McDavid got the puck over to Drai and Werner made the save before the whistle went live.

I think it was worth.

Reactions: ujju2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Whatever term 3-4 years

Term makes a huge difference to the AAV. In the scenario you presented its $3million. Could be a case where shorter term requires more AAV, longer less. If 3M I would think the player would want the extra term but in 3 years probably more AAV. But yeah I think that would be realistic, for sure.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
And how about Glen Gulutzan running the powerplay? He might've been an Eakins-clone as an HC, but he is killing it as an assistant.

Its probably fair to give Gulutzan credit when its going well, because we would be criticizing him if it was going bad but I personally think the PP is working because of the personnel on the ice and not so much because of coaching/tactics. Nothings really changed with the PP other than Neal (and we still sometimes use Chiasson) which can be a good thing (everyone is aware of what each other is doing) or a bad thing (maybe some personnel would actually work better - Bear vs Klefbom for example). But its ticking at a good rate, so no point in really criticizing it. I personally think McDavid shooting more makes the PP more effective, because the goalie and other team cant cheat as much.

Reactions: Aerrol

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Kassian was full beast mode last night, no question. My buddy and I got to talking on the drive home that if he keeps this season up what’s his next deal look like? I was thinking 3 x 3.5 in a front loaded signing bonus laden deal and my buddy figured 4m x 5. He’s the closest thing to Tom Wilson there is. Question is can he sustain his level of play for an entire year? All I know is Holland simply has to sign him.
He is a valuable part of the team and he’s one of those “playoff style” hockey players I love so much: big, strong, fast, and just a little crazy. Good on Kass for turning his life around. I just hope we can afford him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad