Post-Game Talk: Hundreds (thousands?) get scalded in the shower; RZH and McDrai visit Flushing Meadows

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I think Persson can (waiver exempt)--and should--spend some time in the A (maybe I'm wrong on waiver status). His acceleration from no one to NHL player is ridiculous. I'd give him 1/2 a year in the A. Probably less.
This....10 games on north american ice at NHL speed ....its a wonder he is doing as well as he is....
but definitely needs 30 plus games in the A to learn the defensive side of puck skills better ...Imagine if he can cut his mistakes in half and keep the offense ...we would have a top four D that can move the puck....Nurse Bear Klefbom Persson....Larsson might become tradeable by the deadline....I really hope so....

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Before da next game, let us pray and be thankful for the gifts he hath given.:bow:

ryTS246.jpg

Reactions: Rodd from Leduc

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
What a treat of a game to watch. Some special players doing what they do best. Incredible!

Great bounce back game. Excellent on the special teams again.

Avs are a good team but missing some very key players. Imagine us without Drai, Nuge, Smith and Kosk.

I loved taking them apart though. Any team that employs that dirt bag Kadri deserves to get destroyed, especially when he is the cause.

They gave quite the player in Makar and Burkowski has a helluva game. Can we get him to play with nuge?

Keep it rolling boys!

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Fun game to watch ... memories of 80's run and stun hockey. Full marks for a big win however an assist to getting Colorado at a perfect time with a third string goalie, missing two of its great first line and missing their Russian bear on defense. McDavid ran wild with this with an assassin's game taking Draisaitl dishes to his top offensive results. So fun to watch. Klefbom with massive minutes was excellent. Nuge getting range on his excellent, accurate shot is contributing again is great.

But Kassian is the guy I loved in this game. He's got the skating ability, seek and destroy mentality, fearlessness and skill to go out and pancake MacKinnon setting the tone immediately in this game (Oil traditionally have been too often sleep walkers to start games) and complement the top line in the NHL. Kassian is the new era power forward and an engine for this team on ice which I believe carries over to the dressing room. We've also had a taste of his wrecking ball game in the playoffs.

He's going to be a coveted free agent and will be paid. Oil will have to step up to $3.5 million range is my guess and for me it will be a no brainer to sign this guy.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I’m really not sure what Kassian is going to get and I think the Oilers might be wise to let him test the market first to determine his value. Pat Maroon didn’t get anywhere near what fans on this board thought he’d get both in term and dollars and he has had two cracks at free agency since he left here. I’d but Kassian in that same category. Be careful.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Kassian is not Pat Maroon. First round pedigree, well above skating ability and utility to move up and down the lineup. He's reduced dumb penalties in his game and successfully straightened out his game and life. Micheal Ferland contract and game (and early life missteps) is likely a comparable. The sum of Kassian's game is quite distinct especially when his skating ability is considered. He's going to get paid as a UFA and not a player imo you let test the market.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Kassian is not Pat Maroon. First round pedigree, well above skating ability and utility to move up and down the lineup. He's reduced dumb penalties in his game and successfully straightened out his game and life. Micheal Ferland contract and game (and early life missteps) is likely a comparable. The sum of Kassian's game is quite distinct especially when his skating ability is considered. He's going to get paid as a UFA and not a player imo you let test the market.
I like Kassian too and would like to see him back here next year but let’s not get carried away with what his value on the market is. This is a player that was available just one calendar year ago when the Oilers were in all kinds of turmoil and nobody in the league wanted him. Does a year playing with McDavid and Draisatl having career seasons change that all that much? I doubt it and if it does, not enough where the Oilers can’t still make a competitive offer after. No need to overpay on either term or dollars beforehand.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I like Kassian too and would like to see him back here next year but let’s not get carried away with what his value on the market is. This is a player that was available just one calendar year ago when the Oilers were in all kinds of turmoil and nobody in the league wanted him. Does a year playing with McDavid and Draisatl having career seasons change that all that much? I doubt it and if it does, not enough where the Oilers can’t still make a competitive offer after. No need to overpay on either term or dollars beforehand.

The free agent market for him will be akin to Tom Wilson $5 million per year and Ryan Reaves $2.75 per year (and Ferland who I think is closest). We saw the Flames trade for the untradeable contract in Lucic this summer in part because this type of player is pretty rare. Now Reaves, Lucic and Maroon are all over 30 years old and exiting peak year performance. Kassian hits the market at 29 with 3 years plus of peak year performance potential still ahead.

This Oilers team will have an advantage when it becomes playoff ready having guys like Nurse and Kassian who can play top six/top two pairing roles when the game changes and long playoff runs are an endurance.

Feel free to think otherwise that Kassian will be viewed as a low grade free agent option given his past. I personally think this Oilers team (his teammates), coaching and management, and the broader league recognize this player's value. And when it becomes free to access in the silly season, this will be a coveted player.

Thinking last year about a team, coaching staff and organization in deep freefall will be long forgotten. It was fortunate that the buffoonery of last year and a GM sinking in incompetence did not give away a very versatile player whose proving his worth going into a UFA season.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad