Hughes vs Caufield first 22 career games in the NHL, 9 points vs 12 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I will take Caufield moving forward, to the 14 teams in the top 14 of the draft, thank you very much!

I mean, we took Seider, so I don't really feel any regret lol. But yes, alot of picks that went ahead of Caufield are looking questionable.

Reactions: Legend123

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I agree - that is the correct answer. At the time of the draft, there was only 1 train of thought - and that was Cole's numbers were because of Hughes. That was obviously not true.
That’s not remotely true, Caufield was considered an elite goal scorer in every way. His wrist shot, his puck control, his finishing rate, shot making ability, play making… all of it.

He dropped for one reason, he was listed at 5’7” and 163 pounds. Complaints about his skating and speed added to the size issue but it was a size issue. If he was bigger he most definitely would have gone earlier, so it’s about his size and not any hypothetical dependence on Hughes or questions about his play driving.

Some teams were convinced Caufield might not get the same scoring opportunities in the NHL or be able to handle physical play. It was also mentioned that some scouts thought he couldn’t PK in the NHL so he would be a very one dimensional winger. Saying he was a product of Hughes might have added another excuse not to draft him but it was about size.

Hughes was a volume shooter with a weak shot in his draft year, had a dog shit shot shot in his rookie year and has improved it a lot this season but it’s still a work in progress. Hughes actually played quite well for most of the year but got worn down by this meat grinder season.

I couldn’t care less about weirdo “Boo Hiss Jack Hughes Sucks, I’m Not Obsessed Tho” threads that the OP compulsively makes for their own weirdo unknown reasons. I’m confident Hughes future performances will speak for themselves and dumb trolling doesn’t hurt my feelings. I do mind when someone makes a terrible argument about how Cole Caufield’s success somehow reflects on Hughes badly. Caufield was drafted 15th, he was the 7th NTDP player taken in the 1st round and 5th NTDP forward taken. It’s not like Caufield was in the running for 1OA, so shouldn’t the OP be asking why Turcotte or Boldy went before Caufield if he wants to play Captain Hindsight? I’m not saying that wouldn’t be a dumb useless thread too but at least Caufield could have been drafted in those players’ slots.

Caufield is a blast and Habs fans should be high on him, I encourage people to ignore the OP’s dumb Hughes troll posts and there’s no purpose to comparing the two players. He knew emboldened pro-Caufield people would say he was better. And he knew some Devils players would come running and be defensive about Hughes. He knew (other) trolls would do their thing. Who know’s why the first thing that came to his mind when witnessing Caulfield’s success in the playoffs was shitting on Jack Hughes (except that’s on his mind inexplicably often).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That’s not remotely true, Caufield was considered an elite goal scorer in every way. His wrist shot, his puck control, his finishing rate, shot making ability, play making… all of it.

He dropped for one reason, he was listed at 5’7” and 163 pounds. Complaints about his skating and speed added to the size issue but it was a size issue. If he was bigger he most definitely would have gone earlier, so it’s about his size and not any hypothetical dependence on Hughes or questions about his play driving.

Some teams were convinced Caufield might not get the same scoring opportunities in the NHL or be able to handle physical play. It was also mentioned that some scouts thought he couldn’t PK in the NHL so he would be a very one dimensional winger. Saying he was a product of Hughes might have added another excuse not to draft him but it was about size.

Hughes was a volume shooter with a weak shot in his draft year, had a dog shit shot shot in his rookie year and has improved it a lot this season but it’s still a work in progress. Hughes actually played quite well for most of the year but got worn down by this meat grinder season.

I couldn’t care less about weirdo “Boo Hiss Jack Hughes Sucks, I’m Not Obsessed Tho” threads that the OP compulsively makes for their own weirdo unknown reasons. I’m confident Hughes future performances will speak for themselves and dumb trolling doesn’t hurt my feelings. I do mind when someone makes a terrible argument about how Cole Caufield’s success somehow reflects on Hughes badly. Caufield was drafted 15th, he was the 7th NTDP player taken in the 1st round and 5th NTDP forward taken. It’s not like Caufield was in the running for 1OA, so shouldn’t the OP be asking why Turcotte or Boldy went before Caufield if he wants to play Captain Hindsight? I’m not saying that wouldn’t be a dumb useless thread too but at least Caufield could have been drafted in those players’ slots.

Caufield is a blast and Habs fans should be high on him, I encourage people to ignore the OP’s dumb Hughes troll posts and there’s no purpose to comparing the two players. He knew emboldened pro-Caufield people would say he was better. And he knew some Devils players would come running and be defensive about Hughes. He knew (other) trolls would do their thing. Who know’s why the first thing that came to his mind when witnessing Caulfield’s success in the playoffs was shitting on Jack Hughes (except that’s on his mind inexplicably often).

But can't you just appreciate the drama he created with this thread? I mean, there is some magic in his madness! ;)

I am confident Hughes will get redemption in the near future and a thread will be posted as such. My favorite thread is the Kotkaniemi is a bust thread. Or the "Is Carey Price the worst contract in the league" thread.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Personally I think if Hughes was centering Caufield on the Habs they probably would have sweeped the knights. :D

Hughes is a speedy guy who's main problem this year is that all of the highlight reel passes were connecting to a slow guy who usually flubbed the shot.

With Caufield they would speed down towards the net and then Hughes would make a magnificent pass to him and he would finish and score.

To bad thats never going to happen outside of the Olympics. I'll just settle on the fact that all the fellow Devils fans who didn't like my idea of trading qaulity prospects/players to Montreal for Caufield early this year are probably feeling a bit foolish.

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Only reason he fell to 15 is that NHL GMs are still dinosaurs and they’ll continue to let talents like Caufield/Debrincat/Point slide because they still believe you have to be 225 to be a good forward.
little players have been getting drafted high for a long time now about in proportion to hitting slowly being removed from the game. But it's still part of the game and a gm would be foolish not to include it in their evaluations. For every Caufield there are a host of little players who couldn't deal with the physicality of the league. And the jury is still out on Caufield lasting an 82 game season, followed by another and another, although at least Caufield has shown he doesn't turtle when the hitting starts like a lot of tiny players do, so he has a better chance than most.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Hughes sucks!

until he has a good game in which some loser from this garbage site will make a poll, get 80% of the vote and instalock, then Hughes will put up a goose egg so another poll gets made, and then the cycle continues fresh!

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Was Caufield a product of Hughes or vice versa?? Coming into the draft, everyone speculated that Caufield's numbers were inflated because of Hughes. Not, you have to wonder if it was the opposite?
What are you talking about the U.S National Development team was stacked beyond belief that year. Hughes has shown to be a #1C like expected both players can be very good. I have watched Hughes enough he's on a terrible team and he stands out from a crowd with his playmaking ability its too bad they have no one to finish.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Why is OP so obsessed with dragging Hughes? Every post he seems to make is all about how everyone is better than Hughes

add8c82a19840de0e2ebcd54271b08ab.png

I think I found a clue

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I mean, we took Seider, so I don't really feel any regret lol. But yes, alot of picks that went ahead of Caufield are looking questionable.

At the moment of the draft, Seider was a questionable pick at 6, I actually thought the Habs may pick him at 15. I was wrong, the guy is definitely one of the most mature D I have seen at his age. Two years after the draft I definitely see him top 3/5 at worse. Happy MTL took Caufield but I am sure DET do not regret their pick either.

Reactions: WaW

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
What are you talking about the U.S National Development team was stacked beyond belief that year. Hughes has shown to be a #1C like expected both players can be very good. I have watched Hughes enough he's on a terrible team and he stands out from a crowd with his playmaking ability its too bad they have no one to finish.
Don t worry most fans realize Hughes is a great player and playmaker. Most likely without caufield he would have less points and so would have Caufield without him. Hughes would still go ahead of Caufield in a draft today because of position and size anyways.

What I hope for Hughes is that NJD signs a vet Center to improve his two way game, Thompson, Staal, Danault have been great mentors to Suzuki and KK in MTL.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I don’t know if he ends up the best forward from the draft but most scouting reports had Caufield as the best pure offensive talent /goalscorer in the draft. Only reason he fell to 15 is that NHL GMs are still dinosaurs and they’ll continue to let talents like Caufield/Debrincat/Point slide because they still believe you have to be 225 to be a good forward.

Hmm.........1 goal now, in 29 games, and utterly irrelevant.

Maybe the NHL GMs know what they're doing, just a little bit?

And Hughes wins this comparison, by about a zillion. Interesting to read through!

Reactions: HBK27 and TaLoN

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
I read this thread for a few minutes and was utterly confused until I realised it is 7 months old...

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I would just like to chime in and say that Caufield was an actual player that people OUTSIDE of Montreal were really high on. Me as a habs fans and many others, knew not to get any expectation up because it's Montreal and we can't develop shit So it was weird to see outside fans super hype on him and not the usual case of only habs fans hyping him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad