Hughes vs Caufield first 22 career games in the NHL, 9 points vs 12 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Caufield might turn into a good player but he does not really produce much 5vrs5 and he seriously cheats when the puck is in his own end
I think the massive expectations and over the top hype is getting a little carried away

Yeah having a 6-game point streak in the playoffs is not being a good player. Hes not a good player now, but he might turn into a good player.
also yeah, 10 of his 12 points were scored 5v5 but he mostly scores on the pp, not really doing anything 5v5.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Who are you talking about? I've barely ever posted about Hughes. Devil's aren't relevant enough to have haters. The posts you label as hate are likely just uncomfortable truths that your bias doesn't let you see as such.
You clearly haven't looked at Hughes pre draft thread which had many Finnish posters disparage him while posting about how Kakko should go first. This then continued in about 4-6 threads made by Finnish posters over the last two years.

Also apparently you don't know about the Ranger/Devil rivalry that spills out onto the main boards every once in awhile.

So your post is double moot, Oh dear.

Perhaps do some research before posting so you don't come off as unacknowledgeable.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
You clearly haven't looked at Hughes pre draft thread which had many Finnish posters disparage him while posting about how Kakko should go first. This then continued in about 4-6 threads made by Finnish posters over the last two years.

Also apparently you don't know about the Ranger/Devil rivalry that spills out onto the main boards every once in awhile.

So your post is double moot, Oh dear.

Perhaps do some research before posting so you don't come off as unacknowledgeable.
All your post really did is prove how irrelevant the Devils are. I had no idea about any of that, and I'm sure not many outside your fanbase do either.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
All your post really did is prove how irrelevant the Devils are. I had no idea about any of that, and I'm sure not many outside your fanbase do either.
I know you have some misguided hatred for the devils. (probably because of how we used the habs as a punching bag through the entirety of our cup years) but why do you have to be so mean and call the New York Rangers irrelevant? What did they do to you?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I know you have some misguided hatred for the devils. (probably because of how we used the habs as a punching bag through the entirety of our cup years) but why do you have to be so mean and call the New York Rangers irrelevant? What did they do to you?
I have no hatred for the Devils; have the Habs and Devils ever even met in the playoffs? I know they haven't since I started watching. I'm basically neutral on them, and I might even lean toward slightly liking them because of Brodeur.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I mostly was comparing JH to Patrik Stefan, but Hischier has been pretty underwhelming for a 1st overall pick as well. His "complete game" sure doesn't seem to help the Devils all that much, considering he's 4 years into his NHL career. He's actually probably closer to Nugent-Hopkins. Still kind of disappointing, tbh.
Idk, I still think he can develop into a 70 pts two-way centre. He's only underwhelming if you're comparing him to guys like McDavid and Matthews.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Idk, I still think he can develop into a 70 pts two-way centre. He's only underwhelming if you're comparing him to guys like McDavid and Matthews.
No, he's underwhelming if you compare him the most 1 overall picks. He's a good player for sure, but like I said, underwhelming for a 1st overall.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Yeah having a 6-game point streak in the playoffs is not being a good player. Hes not a good player now, but he might turn into a good player.
also yeah, 10 of his 12 points were scored 5v5 but he mostly scores on the pp, not really doing anything 5v5.
Oh, and you forgot the "he's only a one-trick pony that scores from one spot on the ice" narrative. We'll ignore the great passes to setup winning goals, the breakaway goals, etc.

This is a silly thread anyway. Hughes entered the league at 18, while Caufield played two years of NCAA hockey before playing his first NHL game.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I mean you could argue that Hischier has been better than half of the first overall picks over the last 10 years.
No, I don't think you can argue that. He's been better than Hughes, Lafreniere, and Yakupov. All the rest were clearly better.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think he's been better than RNH and you could argue Dahlin who's been highly inconsistent.
Dahlin has had two 40+ point seasons as a defenseman and he just turned 21; Hischier has not been better than that, no matter how much you want it to be so. Between him and RNH, through their first 4 seasons, it's somewhat close, but RNH edges him out.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Dahlin has had two 40+ point seasons as a defenseman and he just turned 21; Hischier has not been better than that, no matter how much you want it to be so. Between him and RNH, through their first 4 seasons, it's somewhat close, but RNH edges him out.
Ehhh, I do agree that 40 pts is impressive for a guy his age, but he wasn't good at all defensively imo. As for RNH, I don't think he edges Nico out, but we'll agree to disagree I guess.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Ehhh, I do agree that 40 pts is impressive for a guy his age, but he wasn't good at all defensively imo. As for RNH, I don't think he edges Nico out, but we'll agree to disagree I guess.
A 40 point season as defenseman is more or less equivalent to an 80 point season as a forward. That puts Dahlin well above Hischier. And RNH does edge out Hischier for their first 4 seasons in terms of p/gp: 0.73 vs 0.63. Also do note that RNH had a reputation for playing a "complete game" until recently as well. I don't know if that's still the case because I haven't heard too much about him recently, tbh.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
A 40 point season as defenseman is more or less equivalent to an 80 point season as a forward. That puts Dahlin well above Hischier. And RNH does edge out Hischier for their first 4 seasons in terms of p/gp: 0.73 vs 0.63. Also do note that RNH had a reputation for playing a "complete game" until recently as well. I don't know if that's still the case because I haven't heard too much about him recently, tbh.
40 pts is obviously impressive, but pts aren't everything. Ask Oiler fans who want Barrie gone asap.

RNH was also on better offensive teams with better players. Started his career playing with a bunch of high picks, unlike Hischier. Beside Hall for his first season, Hischier hasn't played with any high-end offensive player.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
RNH was also on better offensive teams with better players. Started his career playing with a bunch of high picks, unlike Hischier. Beside Hall for his first season, Hischier hasn't played with any high-end offensive player.
Lmao, RNH did not start his career on better teams. That Oilers team was an absolute train wreck. And there was exactly 1 other top pick on the team when RNH got there, who was 1 year older lol.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Well, tbf Yakupov was great his first year and so were Eberle and Gagner :laugh:
Lol Gagner was 3rd line calibre when RNH got there, and then declined further. Yakupov was ok his rookie season nowhere near great.

RNH had Hall and Eberle to play with, Hischier had a better Hall, and then Palmieri, and Zajac. Seems pretty similar to me, maybe even an advantage for Hischier in terms of what he had to work with.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Lol Gagner was 3rd line calibre when RNH got there, and then declined further. Yakupov was ok his rookie season nowhere near great.

RNH had Hall and Eberle to play with, Hischier had a better Hall, and then Palmieri, and Zajac. Seems pretty similar to me, maybe even an advantage for Hischier in terms of what he had to work with.
Hmm. Gagner had a 51 pts pace for RNH's first year, a 65 pts pace for his 2nd and a 45 pts pace for his 3rd. That's easily 2nd line production.

RNH also had Perron for his 3rd and 4th season. I think RNH had the better offensive players around him, but like I said I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad