NFL: Hue Jackson and Todd Haley fired - Gregg Williams interim HC

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They really should've cleaned house in the offseason but I guess better late than never.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
wow They got Haley too damn

Thought Haley would be a good candidate to take his place
What had to hurt Haley was the fact the offense has been getting worse on a weekly basis. And within games, the offense is at its very worst early in games when the team is executing Haley's scripted play calls. It's never a good look for a coach when the offense does its best late in games by playing sandlot football and getting away from the game plan the coach spent all week preparing.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This all is on the owner for not cleaning house last year
The owner is why Hue stayed around.

This is going to tell us a lot about the direction of the Browns. Is Dorsey going to put the coaching staff together, or will the Haslams drive this bus? Are the Browns going to be a real NFL team, or are they going to follow the Cowboys model with the owner dictates things like hiring and firing coordinators?

Reactions: Il Mediano
Sep 19, 2008
If Dorsey is able to find his proper man then I think the Browns will be relevant very soon. Dorsey is a good mind and he has loaded Cleveland with talent. IIRC Jackson was not even hired by him. So you allow Dorsey to get his man and you may see this team blossom.

Reactions: Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The owner is why Hue stayed around.

This is going to tell us a lot about the direction of the Browns. Is Dorsey going to put the coaching staff together, or will the Haslams drive this bus? Are the Browns going to be a real NFL team, or are they going to follow the Cowboys model with the owner dictates things like hiring and firing coordinators?

I know

That is why I said this current embarrassment for franchise is on owner

He should have fired Hue at end of last season

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think their skill players are overrated as hell.
TE is an inconsistent Njoku and a bunch of warm bodies. Njoku has lots of ability, but it only shows up every so often.

WR is Jarvis Landry and a few inconsistent rookies. With Gordon traded and Higgins hurt, there is next to nothing at the WR position.

RB is good.

QB is getting demolished because the tackles are getting beat repeatedly. The number of unblocked pass rushers hitting Mayfield is crazy. This team watched Joe Thomas retire and decided not to find a tackle to take that spot on the roster.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
What had to hurt Haley was the fact the offense has been getting worse on a weekly basis. And within games, the offense is at its very worst early in games when the team is executing Haley's scripted play calls. It's never a good look for a coach when the offense does its best late in games by playing sandlot football and getting away from the game plan the coach spent all week preparing.

A lot of that is because of a rookie QB. Which is completely normal.

Reactions: Voight

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
A lot of that is because of a rookie QB. Which is completely normal.

To a point, for sure. But there is more to it than just playing a rookie QB. It's almost like Baker's performance has declined the more time he's spent prepping with the coaches as the starter. It makes me wonder if they keep asking him to do more or if their efforts to coach him are hurting him.

Baker has had some bad games and has done rookie things like hold the ball too long at times, but there has also been a big decline in pass protection. He's getting pressure now he didn't his first couple of starts.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Now who does Dorsey covet?

I don't think he'll sway Lincoln Riley. That OU job is set up to be good for a long time. Matt Campbell from Iowa State is interesting. Guess he has a lot of NFL fans among GM's. Urban Meyer? Looking for an out at tOSU, this could be it. Kind of a polarizing guy though. James Franklin is my dark horse pick.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Now who does Dorsey covet?

I don't think he'll sway Lincoln Riley. That OU job is set up to be good for a long time. Matt Campbell from Iowa State is interesting. Guess he has a lot of NFL fans among GM's. Urban Meyer? Looking for an out at tOSU, this could be it. Kind of a polarizing guy though. James Franklin is my dark horse pick.
Also take a look at people on Kansas City's coaching staff. Anyone there Dorsey may want to poach?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
To a point, for sure. But there is more to it than just playing a rookie QB. It's almost like Baker's performance has declined the more time he's spent prepping with the coaches as the starter. It makes me wonder if they keep asking him to do more or if their efforts to coach him are hurting him.

Baker has had some bad games and has done rookie things like hold the ball too long at times, but there has also been a big decline in pass protection. He's getting pressure now he didn't his first couple of starts.

That could also be because teams have decided to use more pressure looks and D-line games to confuse him and the O-line. Tough to know for sure without a deep dive. Rookie QB's will make your O-line look worse. Believe me, Beathard takes more sacks than anyone simply by holding the ball too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad