NFL: Hue Jackson and Todd Haley fired - Gregg Williams interim HC

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Goodell has to be throwing a shit storm if Williams gets even an interim tag

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
lolwut

you go 1-15 and then 0-16 and keep jackson as HC. then you're actually winning a few games and the team looks to be on the up and you fire the coach? browns gonna brown

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Now, rumor mill stuff is saying the Browns considered firing Haley late last month but Hue said he wanted to keep Haley around.

Who knows. There's going to be a lot of BS floated around by everyone who feels slighted.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
lolwut

you go 1-15 and then 0-16 and keep jackson as HC. then you're actually winning a few games and the team looks to be on the up and you fire the coach? browns gonna brown
Actually, I'd say they've been losing games. Most of their losses were very close, and in each loss, you can point to bad coaching decisions that contributed to a close game going in favor of the opponent. Their record should be better than it is.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Actually, I'd say they've been losing games. Most of their losses were very close, and in each loss, you can point to bad coaching decisions that contributed to a close game going in favor of the opponent. Their record should be better than it is.

well a couple of their losses and their tie is due to their kickers

i agree they should have a better record and jackson is an awful HC but firing him now just doesn't make sense considering they're actually playing like a NFL team this season

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think their skill players are overrated as hell.

I had no idea they were rated at all. Average fan doesn't even know Higgins and Callaway's names. These are good players. Chubb could be a 1200-1300 yard back. They need depth everywhere and an offensive line, but they also need a scheme and some identity which is why they need to hire an offensive guru head coach. They have a good foundation defensively. I don't think they're too far off from being a decent team.

Reactions: Voight

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
well a couple of their losses and their tie is due to their kickers

i agree they should have a better record and jackson is an awful HC but firing him now just doesn't make sense considering they're actually playing like a NFL team this season
They were playing like an NFL team early in the season when the defense was taking the ball away and Baker was making plays.

The past three weeks have been no better than last season. Two were blowouts where the Browns weren't competitive from the start. The one they took to OT only happened because of a late comeback after being pretty darn awful for much of the game.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
so jackson finishes his coaching career at 11-44-1 for a .205 winning percentage

assuming he never gets another head coaching gig

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I had no idea they were rated at all. Average fan doesn't even know Higgins and Callaway's names. These are good players. Chubb could be a 1200-1300 yard back. They need depth everywhere and an offensive line, but they also need a scheme and some identity which is why they need to hire an offensive guru head coach. They have a good foundation defensively. I don't think they're too far off from being a decent team.
Callaway is absolutely not a good player right now.

Reactions: Troy McClure

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
The fact that the Browns didn't immediately fire Hue Jackson after 0-16 was already a mistake

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ultimately I think it was Dorseys decision and Haslam seems to really trust him (I would too - hes got a solid track record from GB & KC). Like most new GMs, he wants to bring in his own coach, Hue was a on a very short leash from day one.

With the respect Dorsey has along with them actually having some good blue chip young players, they will be able to hire a good coach for the first time in forever.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
The fact that the Browns didn't immediately fire Hue Jackson after 0-16 was already a mistake
While i think that Jackson should have been fired after going 0-16 last year, i thought it was refreshing to see a coach not being held responsible for the poor players that management put on the field.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

That's a big point. The Browns lost all these games, but many of them were attainable. They would've won a few games last year just on the basis of not having pathetic quarterbacking. Their worst loss by point differential was 31-7, which at 24 points is a 3-possession game. That's not really all that bad. That tells me that players buy what he and, more directly, his staff sell during the week but is such a poor gameday coach and is fortunate that the team fought hard as often as it did.

However, it seems the driving factor here is dysfunction within the ranks, which is also probably a testament to the players for never checking out.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So Jackson and Haley are both out, promote Williams to intern HC...
So who's decision was to pull the trigger? Dorsey? Is he going to look for his head coach now?

Or is this another Jimmy Haslam 'quick fix' aka ownership meddling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad