News Article: HSJ: The Detroit Red Wings need a new goaltender. Here are top candidates

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Compliance buyouts might see guys like Jonathan Quick or Sergei Bobrovsky bought out. If either of them would settle for a short contract with tons of work, I'd look into it.

With Bobrovsky, you might even sign him for a ridiculous 1 year contract, just to flip with retention at the deadline.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I like the idea but I wouldn’t pay a premium. Probably cost a 2nd + ?

Can't be that expensive. Goalies don't usually go for much. I mean the only goalie trades that i can remember that costed a lot was Lehner to the Sabres for a 1st and Schneider to the Devils for 9th overall.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I really do see a fit between the Wings and Lehner. Lehner wants a long term contract and a chance to be a starter. The Wings look like a good match, although Yzerman might want to go after someone a bit younger as he is 28. Having said that, if Lehner wants around 7 or more million on his next contract, then i would be hesitant to sign him. I am one of those people that is against giving out a ton of money to goalies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Compliance buyouts might see guys like Jonathan Quick or Sergei Bobrovsky bought out. If either of them would settle for a short contract with tons of work, I'd look into it.

With Bobrovsky, you might even sign him for a ridiculous 1 year contract, just to flip with retention at the deadline.

Quick has been bad the last two years. Don't know if that is just being behind a bad Kings team or his play is just declining. I don't know if he would be a good choice for the Wings.

Bobrovsky on the other hand might work. He was trash this season, but that is hopefully just an outlier.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really do see a fit between the Wings and Lehner. Lehner wants a long term contract and a chance to be a starter. The Wings look like a good match, although Yzerman might want to go after someone a bit younger as he is 28. Having said that, if Lehner wants around 7 or more million on his next contract, then i would be hesitant to sign him. I am one of those people that is against giving out a ton of money to goalies.

Lehner and Markstrom both remind me a lot of Dubynk and Bishop, in terms of they have found a way to settle their massive frames and get a little better at rebounds, something that plagued them earlier. I still don't really believe big time in them, they aren't top 5 guys for me talent wise in part because of their athletic ability. But it is hard to argue with the numbers they put out. You see them picked on in games because they are just blockers of the puck that rely on positioning. I am of the belief to win the Cup you will need to be more because truly elite teams score on those guys because of the talent they have, but we will see.

I am not against giving Lehner or Markstrom money, given where we are. I get the crowd that wants a cheap netminder, if you pay one you need to find a cheap backup so after next year a Bernier style salary is a no go, but I am not against solidifying yourself with a top half the league goalie. They can help your team and really the watch-ability of your team a great deal to be honest, it is still the most important position on the ice.

I would like to give that position around 8 million dollars in terms of your tandem. If you're going to get Vezina trophy winning goaltending than it can go up slightly. That or if you draft a guy that becomes a top guy and you get to lock in his prime you can spend more. But that is honestly how I look at the position.

Reactions: Winger98

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Lehner is a guy with substance abuse and mental health issues.
The situation in Detroit has got to be awful for a goalie.
I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lehner is a guy with substance abuse and mental health issues.
The situation in Detroit has got to be awful for a goalie.
I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
I thought mental health issues was a prerequisite to becoming a goalie....

Maybe I watched too much Hextall when I was a kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad