News Article: HSJ: The Detroit Red Wings need a new goaltender. Here are top candidates

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I am very against drafting a goalie at 4. Lots of promising young goalies have turned into nothing. Also even if he becomes elite, sinking a bunch of money into a goalie is the kiss of death in the cap era. You are better off getting an above average goalie than sinking that money into an elite goalie. Elite goalies demand term and cash. If you are lucky you get a Jonathan Quick and get a cup out of it but then you get suck with 9 more years. Most of the time you get a Luongo, Price, Lundquist situation.

For next year I am fine with a short term option. Find someone to platoon with Bernier (Markstrom, Greiss, Talbot are all fine options). We aren't likely to be a playoff team next season unless Stevie goes nuts in the offseason and we draft Laffy. Just need an improvement over Howard so our guys aren't demoralized.
I agree. No goalie with our first round pick. I don't want to go through the process of expecting and waiting for a goalie to become an elite game changer again. Already done that and got disappointed.
Having said that, not to re-ignite a tired, old discussion, but we really should have kept Mrazek.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Talbot, Khudobin and Halak are playing the odd decent season but overall they're pretty useless...at least now that they're not in their 20's anymore. I don't trust them the slightest bit.

Greiss and Markstrom are good goalies but no clear starters and also in their 30's.

Probably an unpopular opinion but if I'm the Redwings, I'm turning towards Europe to find a gem. There's no risk involved as they most likely won't be contending for the playoffs anyway next season and decent backups are available for cheap anytime, at times even for free on waivers. They should also get rid of Pickard in GR as he's a waste of space. So is Nagle, even though he did well. With Petruzzelli staying put and Fulcher and Larsson probably needing more than one season with Toledo, GR is in desperate need of goalies.

I get that Rybar didn't depart on good terms but he was decent for GR and in my humble opinion, he could be at least as good as Bernier. When Rybar left, Yzerman wasn't there...so why not reach out to him to see if he'd be interested.

I mentioned it already, but van Pottelberghe is another option. Played multiple strong seasons of pro hockey in Switzerland...mostly standing on his head playing for bad, or at least defensively bad teams. He of course just signed a three year deal with Biel probably trying to pull a Merzlikins but with the transfer agreement about to get signed he, in theory, could change his mind. If I'm the Redwings, I'm at least trying to bring him over.

There might be other interesting unsigned options worth taking a look at in Europe.

Otherwise, I'd rather flip a a late round pick for a younger guy than to sign any of those old guys mentioned in the article who couldn't stop a beachball anyway. This is the time to take a look at younger players.
I agree for the most part but take exception to your opinion of Markstrom. I feel he is a legit number one and I would have no problem with him as our starter the next 4 or 5 seasons if the price isn't too crazy.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just sign the top ECHL guy, if he is good great! If he sucks just mutually terminate and move to the next guy, and rinse and repeat. We are bound to find a dozen guys who can play 1 or 2 games at a decent level!

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
There are some decent Swedish goalies that should be able to at least share duties in Detroit.

Lars Johansson may be 32, but is good for a year or two in the NHL. Had about the same numbers as Sorokin on the same team last season.

Magnus Hellberg a couple of years younger, big guy with good numbers in SKA St. Petersburg last season.

In the SEL Joel Lassinantti is more than ready to head over to the NHL now. Best goalie the last couple of years in the SEL.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Drafting a goalie isn't going to help Detroit for half a decade.
I mean, it may be half a decade until we put together a team that needs a reasonably good goaltender.

Gotta start at some point, unless you hope to get lucky by overpaying a guy in FA or hope a trade can be made at the right time.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Sign Jacob Markstrom. Let him back up/transition into the starting role for a year.

Sign Timur Bilyalov. Plays in a year in the AHL as a starter before trying to wrestle down the back up job the following season.

20-21 Bernier/Markstrom.
21-22 Markstrom/Bilyalov.

Just what I would do. I'm sure Yzerman has an idea or plan of attack though. Not sure really why they never gave Patrik Rybar a real chance. I always liked him and thought he could hang as at least a back up in the NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean, it may be half a decade until we put together a team that needs a reasonably good goaltender.

Gotta start at some point, unless you hope to get lucky by overpaying a guy in FA or hope a trade can be made at the right time.

Khudobin was signed for 2.5 mil x 2 years and put up a .930 sv % last year.
Lehner was signed for 5 mil x 1 year and put up a .920 sv % last year.
Grubauer was signed for 3.3 mil x 3 years and put up a .916 sv % last year.

You do not have to overpay for a goalie in FA to get a solid starting goalie. The market has been reasonable the last few years.
Again... you build your team right, and you can plug in a number of guys and get good results.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

You do not have to overpay for a goalie in FA to get a solid starting goalie. The market has been reasonable the last few years.
Again... you build your team right, and you can plug in a number of guys and get good results.

I agree with what you wrote but those three guys you listed aren't NHL starter material. Lehner maybe if he wouldn't be such a moron and always injured.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, that's the way to go even though all of those three are different cases.

-Khudobin and Bishop both produce great SV% and that's mostly product from the Dallas Stars system they play. Khudobin also looks great, because he gets all the easier starts as a backup. Qualcomp exists also for qoalies and that has huge effect. Somehow he remonds me of our backups like Manny Legace was. Did put always better stats than starter on the table, thanks to easy opponents. But failed as a starter. So Khudobin's numbers are very inflated. But he is good what he does on current environment. Our environment could be different.

- Grubauer went to Colorado, who probably have one of the best goaltending coach Jussi Parkkila at the moment. He coached Tuukka Rask on his early days in Finland. Varlamov and Bobrovsky are products from his days at KHL. After some mediocre NHL-years, Varlamov insisted Sakic to sign Parkkila to Colorado, so they could be back together. After some years of work, then Varlamov left and Parkkila is doing great work with Grubauer, and also with Francouz. Guys are changing, but goaltenders are doing good = mark of Parkkila's work.

- Lehner was once very talented, then lost with bad OTT/BUF development + this bipolar person /alcohol problem. Guy is now free from his demons, did got great development from Mitch Korn at Islanders, and has been a Star since that. Has been great already at 3 teams (NYI, CHI, VGK). Can't be product of a system when he does well on 3 different teams. He just did find himself finally.

I would definitely go after Robin Lehner of all UFAs.

And try to sign some next goalie coach phenom, like Parkkila or Mitch Korn.

BTW, we did pretty good with Jim Bedard on the old days. 3-4 Cups with Osgood and Hasek. Osgood changing his style and reborn at 2007 is probably greatest moment of their work. Maybe also that Mike Vernon Cup can be count for him? He joined Wings somewhere during 1996-97 season and left at 2016.

And guess where he is now? Who has high SV% ?

-The Dallas Stars.

Jeff Salajko has been pure crap and our goalies have mostly regressed under his development. I would fire him as the first move, before even considering Blashill.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree with what you wrote but those three guys you listed aren't NHL starter material. Lehner maybe if he wouldn't be such a moron and always injured.

I mean Grubauer is Colorado's guy, he was just hurt. They are the #2 team in the West with a trio of Francouz/Grubauer/Hutchinson.
Khudobin played better than Bishop all year.

I get what you are saying here, but I don't see these bidding wars for goalies like I do at other postions. There is usually pretty serviceable guys out there that can be had for a reasonable price.

I am not concerned who the goalie is for this franchise one bit until the roster improves significantly.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Grubauer was RFA, he was traded from the Caps to the Avs in a salary dump trade that included Orpik. So his salary is not representative of market pricing...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Grubauer was RFA, he was traded from the Caps to the Avs in a salary dump trade that included Orpik. So his salary is not representative of market pricing...

Good point, thanks I missed that one.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I mean Grubauer is Colorado's guy, he was just hurt. They are the #2 team in the West with a trio of Francouz/Grubauer/Hutchinson.
Khudobin played better than Bishop all year.

I get what you are saying here, but I don't see these bidding wars for goalies like I do at other postions. There is usually pretty serviceable guys out there that can be had for a reasonable price.

I am not concerned who the goalie is for this franchise one bit until the roster improves significantly.
So much this. Sick of watching our goalies get wrecked playing behind this sad, decaying corpse of a defense we've had for almost a decade.

Reactions: Frk It

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So much this. Sick of watching our goalies get wrecked playing behind this sad, decaying corpse of a defense we've had for almost a decade.

NY Islanders defence, season 2017-18:

1. Nick Leddy, 22:25 minutes
2. Johnny Boychuk, 20:12 min
3. Adam Pelech 19:16 min
4. Calvin de Haan, 18:45 min
5. Ryan Pulock, 18:24 min
6. Thomas Hickey, 18:04 min
7. Scott Mayfield 17:51 min

This Group had highest GAA of 3.53 goals per game for season 2017-18.
Red Wings GAA for 2019-20 season was 3.71, also league worst.

A) They will lose John Tavares in free agency
B) They will bring in new coaching staff
C) They will bring in new goaltending coach
D) At goaltending Tomas Greiss stayed and Halak left, Lehner came in as new guy.
D) They will keep almost identical defencemen group.

And 1 year after, at season 2018-19, they have the lowest GAA 0f 2.30 in NHL.

2018-19 defence:
1. Ryan Pulock, 22:22
2. Nick Leddy 21:33
3. Johnny Boychuk 18:50
4. Scott Mayfield 18:44
5. Adam Pelech, 18:38
6. Thomas Hickey, 18:30
7. Devon Toews, 17:54

So basicly same group, went from worst GAA to best GAA. That's incredible. Defencemen didn't matter at all, all changes were coaching and goaltending based.

Tomas Greiss GAA went from 3.82 --> 2.28. SV% went from .892 -> .927

Same goalie, same defencemen, and totally different results. That's what I want us to do, because it's possible.

Hire Lane Lambert, who probably can build this whole thing in a new team, learned from Trotz and Korn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14ari13

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
NY Islanders defence, season 2017-18:

1. Nick Leddy, 22:25 minutes
2. Johnny Boychuk, 20:12 min
3. Adam Pelech 19:16 min
4. Calvin de Haan, 18:45 min
5. Ryan Pulock, 18:24 min
6. Thomas Hickey, 18:04 min
7. Scott Mayfield 17:51 min

This Group had highest GAA of 3.53 goals per game for season 2017-18.
Red Wings GAA for 2019-20 season was 3.71, also league worst.

A) They will lose John Tavares in free agency
B) They will bring in new coaching staff
C) They will bring in new goaltending coach
D) At goaltending Tomas Greiss stayed and Halak left, Lehner came in as new guy.
D) They will keep almost identical defencemen group.

And 1 year after, at season 2018-19, they have the lowest GAA 0f 2.30 in NHL.

2018-19 defence:
1. Ryan Pulock, 22:22
2. Nick Leddy 21:33
3. Johnny Boychuk 18:50
4. Scott Mayfield 18:44
5. Adam Pelech, 18:38
6. Thomas Hickey, 18:30
7. Devon Toews, 17:54

So basicly same group, went from worst GAA to best GAA. That's incredible. Defencemen didn't matter at all, all changes were coaching and goaltending based.

Tomas Greiss GAA went from 3.82 --> 2.28. SV% went from .892 -> .927

Same goalie, same defencemen, and totally different results. That's what I want us to do, because it's possible.

Hire Lane Lambert, who probably can build this whole thing in a new team, learned from Trotz and Korn.
I'm not sure that's possible with our current group of defensemen. In over 25 years of watching NHL hockey, I've never seen a d corps look collectively this bad. The good news is at least a couple of them won't be back next season. Hopefully enough positive changes will happen in the offseason that we won't need a Christmas miracle to see some improvement.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not sure that's possible with our current group of defensemen. In over 25 years of watching NHL hockey, I've never seen a d corps look collectively this bad. The good news is at least a couple of them won't be back next season. Hopefully enough positive changes will happen in the offseason that we won't need a Christmas miracle to see some improvement.

I could think everything is possible, after we have healthy DeKeyser, sign one UFA and promote best kid (Seider).

Then add the new system and coaching (and that goaltender area too).

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I could think everything is possible, after we have healthy DeKeyser, sign one UFA and promote best kid (Seider).

Then add the new system and coaching (and that goaltender area too).
Yeah as soon as Daley and Ericsson are gone we'll have some room for improvement. Add Bowey to that list, who should either be converted to a forward or dealt/demoted to AHL. Biega I'm neutral on, as in dgaf whether we keep him or not. Green was mostly coasting and should consider retiring. From the current group the only ones I want to see play a regular role are Hronek, Nemeth, DDK and Lindstrom. Add Seider. Add a decent-good UFA or two. See if Cholo improves over the course of the year. Plug in GR people when injuries happen. That would be my plan for next season.

As far as coaching goes, either do an overhaul or give them another season with a slightly revamped roster to see if they can do better with that.

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London
Is there any rule about taping two people together? Take two washed up football linemen, stack them in the butterfly side by side. Done.

Sure, you'd have to play 4v5 with skaters, but that would be pretty easy to overcome when you know you'll never get scored on.
Yes, there actually is. Apparently it's explicitly in the rulebook that you can only have one goalie on ice at a time, even though there doesn't seem to be any examples of that ever having been attempted.

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yes, there actually is. Apparently it's explicitly in the rulebook that you can only have one goalie on ice at a time, even though there doesn't seem to be any examples of that ever having been attempted.

That's really interesting. I wonder how they define goalie? Is it simply the equipment?

You know we are peak off-season/no hockey when I'm asking about this stuff.

Reactions: odin1981

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Dartboard prediction: Anthony Stolarz

Always with the Z's

I actually like Stolarz a lot. Could be an NHL starter by now without all the injuries he sustained. Very unlucky guy who deserves a chance he never really had.

There are a lot of mental factors of course but Stolarz may have one of the best combinations of size/mobility/technique of all currently active goalies. Fantastic player in my view.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad