News Article: HSJ: The Detroit Red Wings need a new goaltender. Here are top candidates

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Sorry if I am late to the party on this, I now watch my kids a billion hours a day, and have missed key stories this past month in relation to sporting news, but was this discussed at all? It was more than likely Howard wouldn't be resigned, but given the quotes in the article, has Yzerman really told Howard he's not coming back?

Highlights of article:

"Howard, 36, was signed to a one-year extension last season by then-general manager Ken Holland with the mindset that if Howard played well, he’d be back for another season. That won’t happen – Howard, 36, struggled in 2019-20: 2-23-2 with a 4.20 GAA and .882 save percentage."

"Yzerman could look at trading for a goaltender, but the players he has that would interest another team are key parts of the rebuild. A more likely option is to use free agency."

Reactions: Winger98

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not sure if he'd be NHL ready but with the transfer agreement about to get signed, Joren van Pottelberghe could in theory still change his mind and play for the Redwings or Griffins as early as next season. Larsson and Pickard struggling even at AHL level and getting easily outperformed by a random career ECHLer would suggest that the organization may need to add more than just one goalie and Van Pottelberghe would certainly be a clear upgrade over any goalie currently in the organization except maybe Bernier.

Reactions: MBH

mcityguy1

Sep 27, 2017
I'm fine with a Talbot level guy.
Not need to do anything stupid.
Howard's done.
It's really almost impossible how bad he was last year.

Howard - 18 point pace.
Bernier - 68 point pace.

What if Bernier has a season like Howard cause he had 1 better season can he keep it up?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hey @The Zetterberg Era and @Bench

ill_kill_you_office.gif

Reactions: Darkseider

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I feel like most will want either a lot of term or a lot of money to come to Detroit, and most of them are dinosaurs. So, I kinda prefer getting another backup and kicking the starter can down the road a bit. So, maybe Talbot would fit that best.

Plus, coming off the season Bernier had, I think we have the excuse of having to offer Bernier a little more responsibility. And if he's not up to the task, then you could lean on a backup like Talbot a bit more than on him.

So there's that sorted!

Also, I am not necessarily against taking Askarov at fourth in the draft, but I'm not sure he would come NHL-ready at 18 years of age. If his one KHL game is any indication, he might come ready, but who likes bigger sample sizes before we bank on it?

I'll compromise: another backup like Talbot AND Askarov at fourth.

There's the whole thing sorted? Not so fast.

If that's the plan, guaranteed that they will mess up and pick 1-3.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What if Bernier has a season like Howard cause he had 1 better season can he keep it up?

He won't be as bad as Howard, Howard just turned in an historically bad season.
He need someone good enough to keep us in the 60-75 point range

Look, Bernier wasn't "great." He was OK.
Had some good games and bad games. I think a decent NHL back up provides us with similar numbers.

So we don't need to go sign Lehner. In fact, for Lehner's sake, we better not.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't mind the idea of drafting Askarov if he really is the next Price type of prospect however I do struggle with the idea of not adding a top skater. We need talent everywhere (including goal) and without some real firepower added to our Forwards/Defense our new young goalie will be hungout to dry. Logistically, I guess if Askarov stays in the KHL for a year and then spends part of another year in the AHL developing we could still be adding some top picks before he joins our roster but if he really is the type of prospect worthy of a top 4 selection he will be joining our NHL roster sooner than later and then what happens to his development with our pathetic roster of skaters?

Overall, I tend to think its easier to find useful goaltenders than it is to find elite skaters and the lost opportunity of adding one (high end F/D) in the top 3 or 4 stings

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Talbot, Khudobin and Halak are playing the odd decent season but overall they're pretty useless...at least now that they're not in their 20's anymore. I don't trust them the slightest bit.

Greiss and Markstrom are good goalies but no clear starters and also in their 30's.

Probably an unpopular opinion but if I'm the Redwings, I'm turning towards Europe to find a gem. There's no risk involved as they most likely won't be contending for the playoffs anyway next season and decent backups are available for cheap anytime, at times even for free on waivers. They should also get rid of Pickard in GR as he's a waste of space. So is Nagle, even though he did well. With Petruzzelli staying put and Fulcher and Larsson probably needing more than one season with Toledo, GR is in desperate need of goalies.

I get that Rybar didn't depart on good terms but he was decent for GR and in my humble opinion, he could be at least as good as Bernier. When Rybar left, Yzerman wasn't there...so why not reach out to him to see if he'd be interested.

I mentioned it already, but van Pottelberghe is another option. Played multiple strong seasons of pro hockey in Switzerland...mostly standing on his head playing for bad, or at least defensively bad teams. He of course just signed a three year deal with Biel probably trying to pull a Merzlikins but with the transfer agreement about to get signed he, in theory, could change his mind. If I'm the Redwings, I'm at least trying to bring him over.

There might be other interesting unsigned options worth taking a look at in Europe.

Otherwise, I'd rather flip a a late round pick for a younger guy than to sign any of those old guys mentioned in the article who couldn't stop a beachball anyway. This is the time to take a look at younger players.

Reactions: saska sault

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Who is the fattest person alive? Sign him. Maybe he will be big enough to completely obstruct the net.

Is there any rule about taping two people together? Take two washed up football linemen, stack them in the butterfly side by side. Done.

Sure, you'd have to play 4v5 with skaters, but that would be pretty easy to overcome when you know you'll never get scored on.

Reactions: 14ari13

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I am very against drafting a goalie at 4. Lots of promising young goalies have turned into nothing. Also even if he becomes elite, sinking a bunch of money into a goalie is the kiss of death in the cap era. You are better off getting an above average goalie than sinking that money into an elite goalie. Elite goalies demand term and cash. If you are lucky you get a Jonathan Quick and get a cup out of it but then you get suck with 9 more years. Most of the time you get a Luongo, Price, Lundquist situation.

For next year I am fine with a short term option. Find someone to platoon with Bernier (Markstrom, Greiss, Talbot are all fine options). We aren't likely to be a playoff team next season unless Stevie goes nuts in the offseason and we draft Laffy. Just need an improvement over Howard so our guys aren't demoralized.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You think he will play meaningful hockey in the NHL within the next two seasons (i.e. D+1 or D+2)?

I think he sees out his contract in Russia and arrives at 20/21 years old ready to start or split a workload, but I expect him to be in the KHL his next two years. Which is fine given our timeline. I do think he could probably come over D1 if you want to figure out how to get him out of his contract a year early, not sure that is really necessary.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he sees out his contract in Russia and arrives at 20/21 years old ready to start or split a workload, but I expect him to be in the KHL his next two years. Which is fine given our timeline. I do think he could probably come over D1 if you want to figure out how to get him out of his contract a year early, not sure that is really necessary.

I’ll take “moot point” for 200, please

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I am very against drafting a goalie at 4. Lots of promising young goalies have turned into nothing. Also even if he becomes elite, sinking a bunch of money into a goalie is the kiss of death in the cap era. You are better off getting an above average goalie than sinking that money into an elite goalie. Elite goalies demand term and cash. If you are lucky you get a Jonathan Quick and get a cup out of it but then you get suck with 9 more years. Most of the time you get a Luongo, Price, Lundquist situation.

For next year I am fine with a short term option. Find someone to platoon with Bernier (Markstrom, Greiss, Talbot are all fine options). We aren't likely to be a playoff team next season unless Stevie goes nuts in the offseason and we draft Laffy. Just need an improvement over Howard so our guys aren't demoralized.

I'm against drafting goalies in the first round anyway unless it's considered a very weak draft class.

A short term solution makes no sense now...Bernier is a short term solution...why add another one during a rebuild?

Connor Ingram should be available for much less than that 1st it would take to draft Askarov...he's stuck behind Rinne and Saros and the Preds risk losing him to Seattle if they get Rinne to waive his NMC. Yzerman liked Ingram enough to draft him in the 3rd round back in 2016. Nashville got him for a 7th from Brisbois, so with expansion upcoming, they can easily trade him for a mid round pick without having to answer too many questions later no matter how he does for his new team.

If the Redwings could get van Pottelberghe and Rybar to come over then those three could battle for the 2nd NHL spot with the other two playing in GR. All three of them are easily better than all guys who played for GR last season and I'd be confident that at least one of that trio can compete with Bernier for starts as early as next season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad