News Article: HSJ: The Detroit Red Wings need a new goaltender. Here are top candidates

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This team won'tr be competitive for another 5-6 years there is no rush. Yzerman can swing for the the fences on a dozen long shots in that time, and finding diamonds in the rough is one of his specialties.

I would count on Yzerman to get one of two people in the next 3-4 years. Either someone that you never heard of that will lead the leauge, or an established star and you will shake your head how Yzerman got him.

Oheao

Apr 17, 2014
London

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I actually like Stolarz a lot. Could be an NHL starter by now without all the injuries he sustained. Very unlucky guy who deserves a chance he never really had.

There are a lot of mental factors of course but Stolarz may have one of the best combinations of size/mobility/technique of all currently active goalies. Fantastic player in my view.
I was thinking about what teams are set in goal (Philadelphia and Anaheim came to mind) and who might be viable and available behind their #1's. Of course they might prefer to keep Stolarz for their tandem rather than flip him for a pick. That's pretty likely with Miller probably retired.

Even if that were to happen and your right about Stolarz, Detroit would probably be a disaster scenario for his career lol. But I think he'd be a good option for us. He'd back up Bernier for a time before taking over in 2 or 3 years when hopefully the team starts to turn around. With any luck he'd then be pushed by Larsson/Petruzelli/etc. Really just a stopgap, but it could be a long bridge to cross.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I was thinking about what teams are set in goal (Philadelphia and Anaheim came to mind) and who might be viable and available behind their #1's. Of course they might prefer to keep Stolarz for their tandem rather than flip him for a pick. That's pretty likely with Miller probably retired.

Even if that were to happen and your right about Stolarz, Detroit would probably be a disaster scenario for his career lol. But I think he'd be a good option for us. He'd back up Bernier for a time before taking over in 2 or 3 years when hopefully the team starts to turn around. With any luck he'd then be pushed by Larsson/Petruzelli/etc. Really just a stopgap, but it could be a long bridge to cross.

Stolarz would be more than a stopgap. He's already better than Larsson will ever be. Stolarz is a former 2nd round pick with a fantastic development until getting injured. Unlike Larsson he never played in the ECHL (with the exception of a conditioning stint), let alone as poorly as Larsson who can't even get regular stars in Toledo.
Stolarz right away played a solid first pro saison and a very good 2nd one. In his 3rd he was well on track to getting regular NHL starts before getting injured. After missing more than one year he never really got another chance. There's nothing that would suggest that he's not capabable of justifying his draft position though. He didn't do too much wrong in his career and he's terrifyingly big and mobile.

Petruzzelli is very promising indeed but just a few months ago not many would have agreed with that assessment. I'm positive that he's much better suited for pro hockey than Larsson but goalies are always a wild card.

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Stolarz would be more than a stopgap. He's already better than Larsson will ever be. Stolarz is a former 2nd round pick with a fantastic development until getting injured. Other than Larsson he never played in the ECHL (with the exception of a conditioning stint), let alone as poorly as Larsson who can't even get regular stars in Toledo.
Stolarz right away played a solid first pro saison and a very good 2nd one. In his 3rd he was well on track to getting regular NHL starts before getting injured. After missing more than one year he never really got another chance. There's nothing that would suggest that he's not capabable of justifying his draft position though. He didn't do too much wrong in his career and he's terrifyingly big and mobile.

Petruzzelli is very promising indeed but just a few months ago not many would have agreed with that assessment. I'm positive that he's much better suited for pro hockey than Larsson but goalies are always a wild card.
What I mean I guess is he could be very good, but the team isn't likely to be any time soon so they need a good goalie to put in the time in between. Not tearing him down at all, I think he's a good mix of ready and young enough. The job itself is a stopgap, mop up duty.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What I mean I guess is he could be very good, but the team isn't likely to be any time soon so they need a good goalie to put in the time in between. Not tearing him down at all, I think he's a good mix of ready and young enough. The job itself is a stopgap, mop up duty.

You may be right about that. In any way, in the current situation, I'd rather add some young goalies with potential than some old guys who are barely better than Bernier if at all. There are options in Europe and certainly in the AHL. I mentioned Ingram, you Stolarz. Both of them would likely outperform Bernier next season already...with the expansion upcoming, teams may be more willing to move goalies anyway.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I'd look to make a deal with St Louis for Jake Allen. They need cap space and we might be able to capitalize on that.

He's inconsistent as all hell, but if you pair him with Bernier...

Can't be worse than Howard.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There has been some speculation that Lehner could be re signed by Vegas and they would trade Fleury. No I don't want Fleury
MAF has a limited NTC, 10 team list no trade list, I'd bet the Wings are on that list.

$7M for 2 more season, VGK would have to add something for the Wings to take that as a salary dump. VGK received a 2nd rd pick to take MAF in the expansion draft, I would expect the same....

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I'd look to make a deal with St Louis for Jake Allen. They need cap space and we might be able to capitalize on that.

He's inconsistent as all hell, but if you pair him with Bernier...

Can't be worse than Howard.
He's been worse than Howard every season of his career except the last one. Benching him took Saint Louis from LAST PLACE to a CUP WIN.

I'd rather resign Howard to a multiyear deal than see Shakey Jake wear the Winged Wheel.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He's been worse than Howard every season of his career except the last one. Benching him took Saint Louis from LAST PLACE to a CUP WIN.

I'd rather resign Howard to a multiyear deal than see Shakey Jake wear the Winged Wheel.

It's a bit more complicated than that. St.Louis always was a defensively solid team...as were all of Hitchcocks teams. When Yeo took over he changed the system...it worked a while but the goalies struggled to adapt, especially with having to face more high danger chances. The system stopped working when players stopped buying in, when Yeo lost the room (as he did in Minnesota). Berube is an idiot but he sure can motivate and rally a squad. Tactically he's not even close from Yeo but he benefited from taking over a good team and existing structures thanks to Hitchcock. He changed a lot of things back to how they were pre Yeo and it worked out perfectly. Unfortunately Allen never really found his groove again.

He is what he is but if he can somehow reinvent himself surely he'd be better than Bernier.

Should the Redwings want Allen? Nah, I'd rather go with younger guys. But if there's a good offer on the table, it could be interesting. I'm thinking about picks or prospects of some actual value or if the Blues would be willing to eat a bad contract in return.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
It's a bit more complicated than that. St.Louis always was a defensively solid team...as were all of Hitchcocks teams. When Yeo took over he changed the system...it worked a while but the goalies struggled to adapt, especially with having to face more high danger chances. The system stopped working when players stopped buying in, when Yeo lost the room (as he did in Minnesota). Berube is an idiot but he sure can motivate and rally a squad. Tactically he's not even close from Yeo but he benefited from taking over a good team and existing structures thanks to Hitchcock. He changed a lot of things back to how they were pre Yeo and it worked out perfectly. Unfortunately Allen never really found his groove again.

He is what he is but if he can somehow reinvent himself surely he'd be better than Bernier.

Should the Redwings want Allen? Nah, I'd rather go with younger guys. But if there's a good offer on the table, it could be interesting. I'm thinking about picks or prospects of some actual value or if the Blues would be willing to eat a bad contract in return.
Yeah, if they threw in a pick and took Abby's contract even I would appreciate the deal, but I don't think Armstrong would do that.

mcityguy1

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, that's the way to go even though all of those three are different cases.

-Khudobin and Bishop both produce great SV% and that's mostly product from the Dallas Stars system they play. Khudobin also looks great, because he gets all the easier starts as a backup. Qualcomp exists also for qoalies and that has huge effect. Somehow he remonds me of our backups like Manny Legace was. Did put always better stats than starter on the table, thanks to easy opponents. But failed as a starter. So Khudobin's numbers are very inflated. But he is good what he does on current environment. Our environment could be different.

- Grubauer went to Colorado, who probably have one of the best goaltending coach Jussi Parkkila at the moment. He coached Tuukka Rask on his early days in Finland. Varlamov and Bobrovsky are products from his days at KHL. After some mediocre NHL-years, Varlamov insisted Sakic to sign Parkkila to Colorado, so they could be back together. After some years of work, then Varlamov left and Parkkila is doing great work with Grubauer, and also with Francouz. Guys are changing, but goaltenders are doing good = mark of Parkkila's work.

- Lehner was once very talented, then lost with bad OTT/BUF development + this bipolar person /alcohol problem. Guy is now free from his demons, did got great development from Mitch Korn at Islanders, and has been a Star since that. Has been great already at 3 teams (NYI, CHI, VGK). Can't be product of a system when he does well on 3 different teams. He just did find himself finally.

I would definitely go after Robin Lehner of all UFAs.

And try to sign some next goalie coach phenom, like Parkkila or Mitch Korn.

BTW, we did pretty good with Jim Bedard on the old days. 3-4 Cups with Osgood and Hasek. Osgood changing his style and reborn at 2007 is probably greatest moment of their work. Maybe also that Mike Vernon Cup can be count for him? He joined Wings somewhere during 1996-97 season and left at 2016.

And guess where he is now? Who has high SV% ?

-The Dallas Stars.

Jeff Salajko has been pure crap and our goalies have mostly regressed under his development. I would fire him as the first move, before even considering Blashill.

We need a good goaltending coach wings goalies in nhl and ahl haven't been good

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
MAF has a limited NTC, 10 team list no trade list, I'd bet the Wings are on that list.

$7M for 2 more season, VGK would have to add something for the Wings to take that as a salary dump. VGK received a 2nd rd pick to take MAF in the expansion draft, I would expect the same....

Honestly I wouldnt mind it depending on other outcomes. Im sure Vegas would want to keep Lehner. If we strike out on Markstrom or the price is too high on other goalies, get Fleury along with a pick or player to take on the cap hit. Its not like were going to be competing within the next few seasons. Having an older but solid goaltender couldnt hurt until someone claims the throne in our system or we can find a replacement.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We need a good goaltending coach wings goalies in nhl and ahl haven't been good
For sure.

Both Bernie and Osgood weren't covering the posts the first half of the season, Bernie chases players outside the crease and Howie tries to cover the puck with the backside of his hand multiple times this season. Stupid stuff that gets corrected at much lower levels of play. It's got to make you wonder what the hell they do in practice....

I also have no idea why Howie got any starts when Bernie wasn't injured.

ALL of the coaches need to be replaced.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
What about trading for Georgiev? He is only 24 and he could fit the Wings timeline. Looks to be a promising young goaltender. The Rangers currently have 3 goaltenders up. Lundqvist is obviously not going anywhere. They are definitely not doing anything with Shesterkin. So that just leaves Georgiev. I doubt he costs that much.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What about trading for Georgiev? He is only 24 and he could fit the Wings timeline. Looks to be a promising young goaltender. The Rangers currently have 3 goaltenders up. Lundqvist is obviously not going anywhere. They are definitely not doing anything with Shesterkin. So that just leaves Georgiev. I doubt he costs that much.

This has been thrown around a few times. Honestly, I think New York wants to find a way to shed Lundqvist before they move one of the other guys.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This has been thrown around a few times. Honestly, I think New York wants to find a way to shed Lundqvist before they move one of the other guys.
Henrik has one more year on his contract with a NMC, so he's not going anywhere. Looks to me they're gonna carry 3 goalies next season.

Their most expendable player is Smith, how hilarious would it be if we got another draft pick to take him back, lol. As much as we hate on him, he's better than Cholo and DDK will probably get injured anyways. Plus there's only one year left on his contract.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I like the idea but I wouldn’t pay a premium. Probably cost a 2nd + ?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
NY Islanders defence, season 2017-18:

1. Nick Leddy, 22:25 minutes
2. Johnny Boychuk, 20:12 min
3. Adam Pelech 19:16 min
4. Calvin de Haan, 18:45 min
5. Ryan Pulock, 18:24 min
6. Thomas Hickey, 18:04 min
7. Scott Mayfield 17:51 min

This Group had highest GAA of 3.53 goals per game for season 2017-18.
Red Wings GAA for 2019-20 season was 3.71, also league worst.

A) They will lose John Tavares in free agency
B) They will bring in new coaching staff
C) They will bring in new goaltending coach
D) At goaltending Tomas Greiss stayed and Halak left, Lehner came in as new guy.
D) They will keep almost identical defencemen group.

And 1 year after, at season 2018-19, they have the lowest GAA 0f 2.30 in NHL.

2018-19 defence:
1. Ryan Pulock, 22:22
2. Nick Leddy 21:33
3. Johnny Boychuk 18:50
4. Scott Mayfield 18:44
5. Adam Pelech, 18:38
6. Thomas Hickey, 18:30
7. Devon Toews, 17:54

So basicly same group, went from worst GAA to best GAA. That's incredible. Defencemen didn't matter at all, all changes were coaching and goaltending based.

Tomas Greiss GAA went from 3.82 --> 2.28. SV% went from .892 -> .927

Same goalie, same defencemen, and totally different results. That's what I want us to do, because it's possible.

Hire Lane Lambert, who probably can build this whole thing in a new team, learned from Trotz and Korn.

Same defenseman in name maybe, but certainly not the same defenseman in play, status, or impact. All of Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield, and Toews were simultaneously making huge strides in their development during this time. Pulock goes from bottom pairing to top pairing. Mayfield goes from an extra to the middle pairing. Toews arrives in the NHL. The Boychuk/Leddy reign comes to an end.

I actually agree with your overall sentiment - that goaltending and coaching can mask deficiencies - but Isles fans would be the first to tell you that individual improvements from those of their D in their early-to-mid 20s played a role in that.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Same defenseman in name maybe, but certainly not the same defenseman in play, status, or impact. All of Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield, and Toews were simultaneously making huge strides in their development during this time. Pulock goes from bottom pairing to top pairing. Mayfield goes from an extra to the middle pairing. Toews arrives in the NHL. The Boychuk/Leddy reign comes to an end.

I actually agree with your overall sentiment - that goaltending and coaching can mask deficiencies - but Isles fans would be the first to tell you that individual improvements from those of their D in their early-to-mid 20s played a role in that.

That defense is a strong D.
Lacking up top, but Solid 1-6 - even two years ago.
Sure, the young guys have grown up.

The other thing is this:
It's a bit misleading to say the Islanders made great strides from 17-18 to now.
Because going back to 14-15, the Islanders have been a team in the .570 to .616 range every year but ONE. 17-18.
So for Henkka to throw out that year as a baseline?

Looking at 17-18, some of the guys they leaned on most were hurt.
Boychuck missed 24 games.
DeHaan missed 49 games.

Their coach, Doug Weight, wasn't particularly good. He was replaced by the cup-winning coach - a guy with a history of tight defensive hockey.
That probably really helped.

But let's not crown Trotz as some kind of hero and assume his assistants are the crown princes waiting to rise to the top of the NHL.

14-15 .616 2.73
15-16 .610 2.57
16-17 .573 2.90
17-18 .488 3.57
18-19 .628 2.33
19-20 .588 2.79

The Isles have had a good defense for awhile.
In 17-18, it was hamstrung by injuries and poor coaching and lack of structure.
I think Lehner helped a bit too.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That defense is a strong D.

But let's not crown Trotz as some kind of hero and assume his assistants are the crown princes waiting to rise to the top of the NHL.

The Isles have had a good defense for awhile.
In 17-18, it was hamstrung by injuries and poor coaching and lack of structure.

Between 2014-17 it was 19th best GAA in a 30-team league. Then a league-worst season 17-18. So on bottom half, for sure for 4 seasons. Bottom half isn't anyhow "good". Their goals for was 6th best during that period at 14-17, so that earlier success was based on offence.

During Trotz-period, they have had 3rd lowest GAA, but also 7th lowest goals for.

Stronger defensive systems, and more winning with lesser players (no Tavares).

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Between 2014-17 it was 19th best GAA in a 30-team league. Then a league-worst season 17-18. So on bottom half, for sure for 4 seasons. Bottom half isn't anyhow "good". Their goals for was 6th best during that period at 14-17, so that earlier success was based on offence.

During Trotz-period, they have had 3rd lowest GAA, but also 7th lowest goals for.

Yeah. But they were still good. They played more of a run-and-gun style.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Hitting on Barzal was pretty huge, crazy that he dropped, maybe Newhook is kind of comparable. But that really impacted this they have a really good #1C and they have a lot of depth. Guys on that team are really good at their roles, they have strong special teams it always feels like. Nelson and Lee really are pretty exceptional players on the PP. Their fourth line wears you out while they have a real good PK. The Islanders are kind of an interesting mix, but they do play low event hockey, though pretty physical. They are a worse version of the LA Kings because mostly they don't have Quick behind them, curious what their all-world Russian tender brings next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad