How's the new captain?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Zetterberg's play has been elevated to unreal levels since being named captain of our club. I absolutely dissent with Bob's accusations of him having bad games, and as Heaton has stated in other threads, Bob is the biggest flag waiver of Datsyuk which causes him to feel the need to compare Hank to Pavs in a somewhat negative connotation. Hank has had bad moments, some awful turnovers, etc. But all in all, Hank is created tons of offense, looks strong on the puck not unlike that of a power forward(not that he is a power forward, mind you), and has shown selke calibre defense this season. Now let's not take anything from Datsyuk, he's been absolutely phenomenal this season as well. Perhaps he's a little snake bitten, he could easily have 3-5 more goals already this season, but our best players have been carrying us this season. If we lost any of Hank, Pavs, or Howie, we'd be in disastrous trouble.

As for Bob's comments regarding Nick Lidstrom's captaincy. I think Nick was an undoubtedly great captain. Did he have the moments like Stevie where he lead the team on one leg, play with the team for 14 seasons before winning a Stanley Cup, or anything of that nature? No, obviously not, but not many players have such storied careers or captaincies. Lidstrom was a great leader for this hockey club, and he really eased the transition between the Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov era to the Datsyuk and Zetterberg era.

Wth are you talking about. He led the team with cracked nuts, hell a lot worse than a worn down leg ;):laugh:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Bob and Bench need a podcast. Holy **** that was some funny stuff...

All of a sudden you're s cage fighter...

Hahaha

RedWingsNow*

Bob, who do you think should be Captain, and why?

Datsyuk.
Because Red Wings captains are captains by what they do on the ice, not what they say in the dressing room or to the media.

Not because of Pavel's sick moves..
But Because Pavel is by far the best player on the team.

Watch that play when Pavel gets knocked down by Drew Doughty. Everyone talks about Pavel coming back the next shift and scoring.
But the big play, to me, was that right after Pavel gets hit, somehow, the the Wings are caught on a two on one.
And who is the first guy back?
Watch the video.

When Quincey, stupidly, while shorthanded, gets caught up ice (along with Cleary), and Datsyuk is the one knocked down -- It's Datsyuk who busts is ass to get back on defense,

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Datsyuk.
Because Red Wings captains are captains by what they do on the ice, not what they say in the dressing room or to the media.

Not because of Pavel's sick moves..
But Because Pavel is by far the best player on the team.

Watch that play when Pavel gets knocked down by Drew Doughty. Everyone talks about Pavel coming back the next shift and scoring.
But the big play, to me, was that right after Pavel gets hit, somehow, the the Wings are caught on a two on one.
And who is the first guy back?
Watch the video.

When Quincey, stupidly, while shorthanded, gets caught up ice (along with Cleary), and Datsyuk is the one knocked down -- It's Datsyuk who busts is ass to get back on defense,

Datsyuk is my all-time favorite player, so i dont disagree with anything there.

Well put.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
While I agree with your statement Bob, there is no way Zetterberg isn't leading by example either this year the in previous years. He has been the best player this season (granted he's been playing with better linemates), but his play in all situations (EV, PP, PK especially 3 on 5) have been remarkable.

You cannot deny this.

RedWingsNow*

While I agree with your statement Bob, there is no way Zetterberg isn't leading by example either this year the in previous years. He has been the best player this season (granted he's been playing with better linemates), but his play in all situations (EV, PP, PK especially 3 on 5) have been remarkable.

You cannot deny this.

I don't say Zetterberg is a bad captain or that he doesn't set a great example.

I say that Datsyuk sets the best example.

I don't believe there's much daylight between the performance of D and Z.

This despite knowing that Datsyuk isn't clicking on all cylinders, and that Datsyuk is playing with lesser/injured linemates.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

You cannot deny this.

This is another funny discussion. I don't understand why somebody has willingness to create some empty debate between our great star players?

I also think that Datsyuk is the better player of those two, but cmon, this is really just cutting hairs. There's nothing wrong in Zetterberg's ability and heart to battle and lead with example. Both are great guys.

But this Zett's commitment to stay longer at Detroit imo makes the difference. He has signed for a life-time contract and "for the captaincy." Pavel is thinking a move to Russia. That act doesn't look like he owns his life totally, on-ice and off-ice, to the Detroit Red Wings, like our Captains should do and like Zetterberg is doing.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Well its Zetterbergs team now, just like it was Lidstroms and Yzermans before him. They put Zs locker next to Yzerman. Not Pavels.

Maybe he wants to go back to Yketringberg and be "the guy"

(Tin foil hat removed)

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Bob must have an awful time cheering for this team with so many chicken Swedes on it, huh?

RedWingsNow*

This is another funny discussion. I don't understand why somebody has willingness to create some empty debate between our great star players?

I also think that Datsyuk is the better player of those two, but cmon, this is really just cutting hairs. There's nothing wrong in Zetterberg's ability and heart to battle and lead with example. Both are great guys.

But this Zett's commitment to stay longer at Detroit imo makes the difference. He has signed for a life-time contract and "for the captaincy." Pavel is thinking a move to Russia. That act doesn't look like he owns his life totally, on-ice and off-ice, to the Detroit Red Wings, like our Captains should do and like Zetterberg is doing.

Ah, or like Lidstrom did, when he signed one-year deals and decided every year if he was coming back?

I've already said Z is a fine captain and potentially better than Lidstrom.
If people want to pretend that I didn't say that, have at it.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Datsyuk.

I don't think that is even remotely true and way too simplistic. Players are captains because they are great leaders of their teammates. That includes their effort on the ice, but also what they say to teammates on the bench between shifts, in the locker room before games or after games, how they conduct themselves in off ice workouts, their general work ethic off the ice to lead by example, the way they communicate with the coaches or GM as the voice of the locker room, etc. What is their composure like when times are bad or when times are good? Are they able to motivate or pick up teammates who are in a slump or when the team is sliding? Do they make every player feel welcome and important- from the AHL callups to the vets? And the list could go on.

A player could give great effort on the ice and try his hardest and I guess look like a captain on the ice due to his skill and ability. But, if he has a drug problem off the ice, a poor work ethic and is also a locker room cancer due to his personality, then he's the antithesis of a leader. I'm not saying that is Datsyuk. I have no idea who is more qualified to be captain between Z or D. No fan does bc there is a lot more to being a great leader and captain than what one does on the ice. It's important but so are a lot of other things that would need to be taken into account.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
They could have always done a split captaincy. Not unlike the Wild's triangulating captaincy from a decade ago. Not that I advocate that, it was a theoretical possibility though.

RedWingsNow*

A player could give great effort on the ice and try his hardest and I guess look like a captain on the ice due to his skill and ability. But, if he has a drug problem off the ice, a poor work ethic and is also a locker room cancer due to his personality, then he's the antithesis of a leader. I'm not saying that is Datsyuk. I have no idea who is more qualified to be captain between Z or D. No fan does bc there is a lot more to being a great leader and captain than what one does on the ice. It's important but so are a lot of other things that would need to be taken into account.

That's all great. Except we know since the A already they he's probably not a locker room cancer or any of those other things.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
I hope Z will be a better captain than Lidstrom. I think forwards make better captains because leading by example is more obvious when they do it. Lidstrom was a player who, when playing well, could disappear on the ice. Zetterberg makes his presence known.

He's doing great, playing-wise, and a speech he gave rallied the team to come back and win one of their previous games, so I think he's going to be A-okay.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Personally, I think Datsyuk's effort is much more inconsistent from period to period than Zetterberg's is. Periods go by sometimes where I feel as if Datsyuk isn't giving it his all and just wants to hotdog out there.

RedWingsNow*

Personally, I think Datsyuk's effort is much more inconsistent from period to period than Zetterberg's is. Periods go by sometimes where I feel as if Datsyuk isn't giving it his all and just wants to hotdog out there.

I can see why someone might think this.
But it's way off base.

I think Datsyuk spends a lot of time trying to set up teammates. And then, when down by a goal late, or when physically challenged, he says "**** the linemates" and goes into "do it" mode.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
If on ice leadership was all that was necessary for a Captain I'd be all for Datsyuk having the C, but communication is a big part of being a captain in my eyes.

Not just with teammates but with coaches and officials as well, Datsyuk's English has improved but I think Zetterberg is better suited for the job.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

You and saku11 might be the only ones the planet that have this view. Datsyuk a hotdog? Get real....

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
You and saku11 might be the only ones the planet that have this view. Datsyuk a hotdog? Get real....

Meh, IMO he tries to be too fancy sometimes instead of just making the easy/pass move.

And I love Datsyuk, but it's just what I see.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Meh, IMO he tries to be too fancy sometimes instead of just making the easy/pass move.

Not sure if serious?

I wish Datsyuk was more aggressive offensively at times, but he often plays a very passive game where he's almost like a safeguard for his wingers.

I've never in my life thought that he tries to be too fancy though. If anything I wish he'd attack like this more often.

Watch Datsyuk at the end of shifts. He or his linemates may have a chance to attack, but if he feels he's been on the ice too long he'll change. Responsible, but almost too unselfish in my mind. Zetterberg is the opposite in this regard. He extends his shifts quite often. At times it irritates me because Datsyuk is the guy that is waiting to get on the ice.

IMO Datsyuk's the best player on this team (and has been for years now), but I have absolutely no problem with Z being the captain. I think it was the right choice and I bet Datsyuk would agree with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad