How's the new captain?

RedWingsNow*

Zetterberg has had great games and poor games.
Today, even with 2 assists, he's been poor.

RedWingsNow*

Oh, Sorry, We only listen to Babcock, Who thinks Cleary belongs on Datsyuk's Wing.

Or Gretzky... a horrid hockey coach.

And the rest of us shut up.

Take a hike with your weak ****

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
ITT: personal agenda is pushed.

Z has been a monster all season - some of that probably has to do him becoming the captain. He's been our best forward in the playoffs overall since entering the league. He's a leader on the ice - he's been unbelievable.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Oh, Sorry, We only listen to Babcock, Who thinks Cleary belongs on Datsyuk's Wing.

Or Gretzky... a horrid hockey coach.

And the rest of us shut up.

Take a hike with your weak ****

The worst coach in NHL history would make you look Pejorative Slured away from you keyboard.

RedWingsNow*

The worst coach in NHL history would make you look Pejorative Slured away from you keyboard.

You're trolling.

Whether Z has been better than Datsyuk is debateable.

"Best by a country mile" is stupid.

Sign up for stupid if you want. It doesn't take the worst coach in NHL to make *some people* look Pejorative Slured.

RedWingsNow*

ITT: personal agenda is pushed.

Z has been a monster all season - some of that probably has to do him becoming the captain. He's been our best forward in the playoffs overall since entering the league. He's a leader on the ice - he's been unbelievable.

Hahah

A mod with the flame bait.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I always find it funny when people take it so personally that we're talking about Z vs. Pavel like there's a clear cut winner or in some way saying one player is playing better at the moment is some kind of shot at the other guy.

Pavel and Hank have been great since coming here, they'll both rank among all time greats that ever played for the Wings. But for some people you can't even praise one without someone thinking its some shot at the other. Newsflash: it's OK to talk about one without mentioning the other.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You're trolling.

Whether Z has been better than Datsyuk is debateable.

"Best by a country mile" is stupid.

Sign up for stupid if you want. It doesn't take the worst coach in NHL to make *some people* look Pejorative Slured.

You run contrary to popular opinion more than anybody. Even if top hockey minds disagree with you. You always know better.

That's trolling.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Where are these games where Zetterberg plays "poor"? I've watched every game this year and this is the best he has looked in years, he has taken his game to another level. Z and Pav are both playing great this year, I actually think early this year Pav had games where he looked pretty bad and was coughing up the puck.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I always find it funny when people take it so personally that we're talking about Z vs. Pavel like there's a clear cut winner or in some way saying one player is playing better at the moment is some kind of shot at the other guy.

Pavel and Hank have been great since coming here, they'll both rank among all time greats that ever played for the Wings. But for some people you can't even praise one without someone thinking its some shot at the other. Newsflash: it's OK to talk about one without mentioning the other.

No kidding. It's like deciding which steak to order. It's all steak, stop fussing.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
That NHL.com text with quotes from Gretzky and Babcock didn't mention Datsyuk once. So there ya go. If there was a text about Datsyuk Babcock would be pumping his tires instead.

Saying Zetterberg has been our best player so far this season is however not a stretch. Give him some due.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I think Z can be a better captain than Lids.
Z plays with infectious intensity.

Define "better captain".

You don't have to wear your emotions on your sleeve to lead a team. Nick led by example, which is bar none the MOST important aspect of being a captain.

I'm not saying Zetterberg can't become a great or greater captain, but that statement I feel unfairly downplays how solid of a captain Nick was. He was a top 3 ALL TIME d-man, for crying out loud, and was the classiest player you could ask for, as well as the definition of work ethic.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
That NHL.com text with quotes from Gretzky and Babcock didn't mention Datsyuk once. So there ya go. If there was a text about Datsyuk Babcock would be pumping his tires instead.

Yeah no kidding. I don't know what people expect.

Reporter: How's Z been this season?

Babcock: He's been great!

Reporter: Wow, no mention of Datsyuk? Must mean you think he's a piece of ****!

Babcock: But you asked me about Zetterberg.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Where are these games where Zetterberg plays "poor"? I've watched every game this year and this is the best he has looked in years, he has taken his game to another level. Z and Pav are both playing great this year, I actually think early this year Pav had games where he looked pretty bad and was coughing up the puck.

2nd in points and 1st in assists in the NHL. I hope he keeps having these poor games!

RedWingsNow*

Nobody's taking it personally.

I think Babcock is either talking out his ass or clueless.

The truth is that outside his 5 point game, there's very little separating Datsyuk and Z. Except defense and faceoffs, where Datsyuk continues to be better.

So to say Zetterberg is "better by a country mile" is clueless.

RedWingsNow*

Define "better captain".

You don't have to wear your emotions on your sleeve to lead a team. Nick led by example, which is bar none the MOST important aspect of being a captain.

I'm not saying Zetterberg can't become a great or greater captain, but that statement I feel unfairly downplays how solid of a captain Nick was. He was a top 3 ALL TIME d-man, for crying out loud, and was the classiest player you could ask for, as well as the definition of work ethic.

I don't think Lidstrom was a great captain.

Top 3 defenseman (which I don't believe is true) and classy doesn't mean "great captain)

Zetterberg works a lot harder and hustles and battles a lot more than Lidstrom ever did. And I like to see that in e leader.

RedWingsNow*

You run contrary to popular opinion more than anybody. Even if top hockey minds disagree with you. You always know better.

That's trolling.

LOL.

Zetterberg better than Datsyuk "by a country mile" is the popular opinion around here?

You know this how?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I think Z can be a better captain than Lids.
Z plays with infectious intensity.

Key word is CAN. But I agree with this post. While the Wings continued their two decades of excellence under Lidstrom's watch there was never a year where I felt like we overachieved in the playoffs or a moment where he inspired our team to go beyond what was possible in a big game (though few captains in this league can do that). Nick was a very good captain for Detroit; Henrik already seems to be a good captain and has the potential to be very good or even great.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
LOL.

Zetterberg better than Datsyuk "by a country mile" is the popular opinion around here?

You know this how?

It's a popular opinion Zetterberg has been the team's best player.

You're the one getting all worked up over a puff piece about the changing of the guard at captain, so much so you're willing to call a coach with 750 NHL games "clueless." Then throw Gretzky under the bus for saying something nice.

And you're the only one jumping in here to throw a fit about it, yet look at all the people saying Zetterberg has been terrific. The cheese stands alone, again, with only a huge bottle of wine, er, whine over rather predictable and due comments by Babcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00