How's the new captain?

JSBach

May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm an outsider who happens to be a huge Lidstrom fan and Detroit sympathizer. Just wondering if Zetterberg has been living up to the C so far; has he? Obviously, there's no way he's going to top Nick, but do you think he'll have a good term as the captain nevertheless?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I don't see why not...He was groomed to be the captain from his first day with the Wings when they put him in the locker next to Yzerman.

Tonight wasn't a great game for him, but overall this season I'd say he's been the most consistent Red Wing and the most productive.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Z has been a leader for a long, long time so I don't really think wearing the "C" makes much difference to be honest.

I didn't think he was quite the 3rd star of the game tonight like eva did, but he's been competing. He's been strong on the puck this year and made a lot of great plays. His defensive zone turnovers the past couple of seasons have been a bit worrisome though and that continued tonight.

He's never going to be the 90+ pt player again because he's not the same skater that he once was, but good luck finding a player who's going to compete harder during big games. And that's all that really has to be said about his leadership.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
Well did people think originally that lids was going to be as good of a captain as yzerman was. I mean we all expected it but there is soo much uncertainty with those kinds of things. I think deep down inside all wings fans knew it was going to happen but would said player be able to take the reigns and run with it and be as successful as his processor? It's one thing to be taught and/or playing with the best until you in that situation and you have to take it all in and make it happen. Lids did a phenomenal job and thus far I thinks Z is as well. Only time will tell but he is off to a great start.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yes. He has turned a corner in his career now I think. Had a few injury riddled seasons after the Cup runs where he was just fighting through it, but now he's found his legs again and his game has followed. Good timing to get the C.

RedWingsNow*

I think Z can be a better captain than Lids.
Z plays with infectious intensity.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

This. Zetterberg is more human than Nick. A guy can look at Lidstrom and see his poise and composure with the puck, but not everyone can mimic that. If they see Zetterberg hauling ass and taking the puck to the net, etc. they can try to copy that. I think Z is a bit more rah-rah, just based on their personalities.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I agree with Captain. I think Z could be a better C than Lids was. Lids was sort of the leader by default after Yzerman retired, but he isn't your typical captain type. Lids game was the super consistent type but it wasn't really the type that could take over a game. Z's intensity can actually take over a game, much like Yzerman's could. He can put the team on his back and change the outcome of a game, which is something that is really hard for a non-physical dman to do (even one has insanely amazing as Lids).

I think he has done a pretty good job this season, but I think he is still adjusting to this being his team. He had the one amazing game vs St. Louis but I think we'll see more out of him as the season continues.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
He's upped his play this season, that's for sure. And his production has increased as well. He was already a leader in the dressing room, so being captain is a natural move for him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

This. I see it already too, he doesn't want this to stop on his watch. Zetterberg has been a slow starter, he did play overseas, but I think that C on his sweater has brought even an extra gear. He always competes but it is even on another level, aside from his game on back to back nights against the Columbus with the Flu he has brought it every night. He even tried getting more physical on the debacle of opening night. There is a real not on my watch attitude with him. For me he has been the Wings best player this year, slightly better than Datsyuk.

we like our team*

he's definitely the most attractive red wings captain

RedWingsNow*

This. I see it already too, he doesn't want this to stop on his watch. Zetterberg has been a slow starter, he did play overseas, but I think that C on his sweater has brought even an extra gear. He always competes but it is even on another level, aside from his game on back to back nights against the Columbus with the Flu he has brought it every night. He even tried getting more physical on the debacle of opening night. There is a real not on my watch attitude with him. For me he has been the Wings best player this year, slightly better than Datsyuk.

As important as the captaincy can be... in a specific game or even in a series...I don't know if there is anything Zetterberg can do to stop the slide.

That falls on Holland and, to a lesser extent, Babcock.

I'd say that D and Z have been pretty close. But maybe I'd give Z the edge thus far....Datsyuk hasn't hit his mark yet.

I don't think his line has played very good the last 3 games. Bertuzzi, in particular, has been awful since his two goal game.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I think a captain can only lead by example and Zetterberg is the hardest worker on the ice in most games. If players don't want to get on board and follow the example he needs a coach to handle that. I've been a supporter of some of the bottom 6 because they are working hard, if not good results. What drives me nuts is half assed efforts like we see from some of our guys, even the ones with a lot of talent. Z is such a good example of not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy but nobody beats him by out working him

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think a captain can only lead by example and Zetterberg is the hardest worker on the ice in most games. If players don't want to get on board and follow the example he needs a coach to handle that. I've been a supporter of some of the bottom 6 because they are working hard, if not good results. What drives me nuts is half assed efforts like we see from some of our guys, even the ones with a lot of talent. Z is such a good example of not the biggest guy, not the fastest guy but nobody beats him by out working him

His empty net goal against St. Louis a week ago is a perfect example.

Remember last season people were suggesting moving Zetterberg?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Zets is a great lead by example guy much like Yzerman was, he also has the ability to score those clutch key goals that lift a team. I think he is a great capitain. What's amazing about Yzerman is how young he was named capitain. Having someone take the C other than Stevey Y was a huge shock for me but they couldn't have found two more deserving and world class players to fill the skates

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
the-pirates-band-of-misfits01.jpg

Pirate Captain! Coincidence? I think not.

JSBach

May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's good to know that the leadership is in good hands. I'm surprised at how many of think that Zetterberg could, in some ways, be more effective than Lidstrom, but I won't embarrass myself by pretending to be a Wings expert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->