How's the new captain?

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
I'll take Gretzky's and Babcock's opinions over random internet dude's. Call me crazy.

RedWingsNow*

It's a popular opinion Zetterberg has been the team's best player.

You're the one getting all worked up over a puff piece about the changing of the guard at captain, so much so you're willing to call a coach with 750 NHL games "clueless." Then throw Gretzky under the bus for saying something nice.

And you're the only one jumping in here to throw a fit about it, yet look at all the people saying Zetterberg has been terrific. The cheese stands alone, again, with only a huge bottle of wine, er, whine over rather predictable and due comments by Babcock.

No, I responded to the Babcock quote posted in this thread.

And you had one of your hissyfits.

I'm not even sure what the hell you're arguing for when you don't have the guts to say anything.

So, if you think it's a "puff piece," doesn't that mean we shouldn't take the quotes seriously?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Z is now tied for 2nd in points in the league.
I think he is our best player.
Is he making Brunner look great?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I also think it is stupid of Babcock to say that Z is our best player by a mile.
Z is our best player followed closely by Datsyuk.

Brunner, Kronwall and Ericsson have been good too.

RedWingsNow*

I'll take Gretzky's and Babcock's opinions over random internet dude's. Call me crazy.

Of course you will. I see your Swedish flag:laugh:

I wonder what you think of Don Cherry's words over some Internet dude... That's what I thought.

At the end of the day, basing your opinion on "other people's opinion" is pretty dumb. You either have an opinion or you don't.

My opinion is Zetterberg has not be a "country mile" better than Datsyuk this year.

If Babcock was remotely serious when he said it, than Babcock is dumber than he looks. And given his lineup decisions...

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I remember when Babcock said Stuart had been the best defenseman for the team in the first half of the 09-10 season and that quote was consistently used as support for those who also shared that opinion.

It's strange that when he says Zetterberg has been the best player on the team by a lot, then that same logic doesn't apply and cannot be used as support for an argument. In this instance, Babcock is clueless. When he was in support of Stuart a few years back, his quote was to be taken as part of the proof. One cannot have it both ways.

Regardless, I think Zetterberg has been the best player so far. Saying he has been by a "country mile" is just used to make a point and probably shouldn't be taken literally. No big deal.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So, if you think it's a "puff piece," doesn't that mean we shouldn't take the quotes seriously?

It isn't a hissy fit just because somebody thinks your opinions on Babcock are rubbish. You handle disagreement about as good as Napoleon. How tall are you?

As for the your question... Seriously, sure. Literally, no.

The point was Zetterberg was the best player. Full stop. Unless you know how long a "country mile" is then good luck using that as a metric for who is better. Oh wait, it's just an expression? Ah. Probably shouldn't get too caught up in that, unless you're looking for any nitpick to criticize the coach.

You wouldn't nitpick Babcock, would you? Nah, you're keeping it real. Keep on, brother.

RedWingsNow*

It isn't a hissy fit just because somebody thinks your opinions on Babcock are rubbish. You handle disagreement about as good as Napoleon. How tall are you?

As for the your question... Seriously, sure. Literally, no.

The point was Zetterberg was the best player. Full stop. Unless you know how long a "country mile" is then good luck using that as a metric for who is better. Oh wait, it's just an expression? Ah. Probably shouldn't get too caught up in that, unless you're looking for any nitpick to criticize the coach.

You wouldn't nitpick Babcock, would you? Nah, you're keeping it real. Keep on, brother.

Your opinion of mine is stupid.
You've said nothing factual about my opinion, except that you'll take Gretzky's or Babcock's over mine, or that my opinions are Pejorative Slured next to the worst NHL's coach's.

You threw a classic Benchy hissfyfit. Case in point -- you've argued against my opinion without ever once making the case that Zetterberg has been a COUNTRY MILE better than Datsyuk.

And yeah, I know enough to know that a "country mile" is a "LONG ****ING WAY."

That's not semantics. Coach was saying that Zetterberg has been, BY A LONG WAY, the best player on the Wings thus far.

Maybe you thought this was Malik's blog, where nobody criticizes coach, eh?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Your opinion of mine is stupid.
You've said nothing factual about my opinion, except that you'll take Gretzky's or Babcock's over mine, or that my opinions are Pejorative Slured next to the worst NHL's coach's.

You threw a classic Benchy hissfyfit. Case in point -- you've argued against my opinion without ever once making the case that Zetterberg has been a COUNTRY MILE better than Datsyuk.

It's just a soundbite from a special interest story. That's it. What you should have taken, as any reasonable person would, is that everybody thinks Z is doing great. Instead you took it as a chance to criticize Babcock. Which is pretty rubbish.

Furthermore, and this is important for the rest of our interactions: Why would I spend my time arguing with somebody who made up their mind? You think Babcock and Gretzky are full of it, so what could I (and I can't even list all the names you've called me, but it's substantial and not terribly flattering) possibly say to sway you?

In fact, show me one post in your THOUSANDS of posts where you said, "You know what, that's a great point. I didn't think of that. You might be right." If you can find that mythical post, then I'll start actually taking you seriously rather than cracking jokes at your expense.

I mean look at you, you're caught up in this "country mile" nonsense like a Republican still caught up in Clinton's "sexual relations." It's funny, not actually anything of "hissy" or "fit."

And if you really feel that way, once again, you should just block me so you can control yourself. I'm having fun, but I don't think you're feeling that vibe with me here.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
"Splitting Hairs"- Trivial objections (also referred to as hair-splitting, nothing but objections, barrage of objections and banal objections) is an informal logical fallacy where irrelevant and sometimes frivolous objections are made to divert the attention away from the topic that is being discussed. This type of argument is called a "quibble" or "quillet". Trivial objections are a special case of red herring.

RedWingsNow*

It's just a soundbite from a special interest story. That's it. What you should have taken, as any reasonable person would, is that everybody thinks Z is doing great. Instead you took it as a chance to criticize Babcock. Which is pretty rubbish.

Are you ****ing kidding me?:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Was I supposed to call Mike Babcock myself? Is that how you do it?

I saw that quote. I criticized Mike Babcock for the WORDS HE USED.

Because I disagree with the opinion stated by Babcock.

Furthermore, and this is important for the rest of our interactions: Why would I spend my time arguing with somebody who made up their mind? You think Babcock and Gretzky are full of it, so what could I (and I can't even list all the names you've called me, but it's substantial and not terribly flattering) possibly say to sway you?

You watch a lot of Oprah and feel sensitive about issues like bullying and stuff don;t you.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Benchy, you're full of ****.

You take issue with my opinion without ever addressing the opinion. You do this, you say, because you don't want to "waste your time."

And then you spend the rest of the afternoon and evening wasting your time attacking my opinion -- without ever saying why I am wrong?

Do you not understand how off-the-wall that is?

In fact, show me one post in your THOUSANDS of posts where you said, "You know what, that's a great point. I didn't think of that. You might be right." If you can find that mythical post, then I'll start actually taking you seriously rather than cracking jokes at your expense.

My goodness. Few people have eaten as much crow as I have.

It's funny. I don't think Z is the best choice for captain. A lot of people here think that.
But in this thread, a few days ago, I gave my honest opinion about Z and whether or not he could handle the C in Lidstrom's retirement ... And I do. I think Z will be a fine captain, and I said so in a complimentary way.

Where the hell were you to agree with that?

Nope. You only chime in when I'm critical of a player.

That says something about you, Benchy.

I mean look at you, you're caught up in this "country mile" nonsense like a Republican still caught up in Clinton's "sexual relations." It's funny, not actually anything of "hissy" or "fit."

Stop being so dishonest.

Babcock said that Zetterberg has been WAY WAY better than anyone on the team this year. I disagree.

Had Babcock said Zetterberg has been better than anyone else, I might not agree. But I wouldn't have called him clueless.

So the "COUNTRY MILE" is exactly what I am referencing. You're trying to downplay it.

And if you really feel that way, once again, you should just block me so you can control yourself. I'm having fun, but I don't think you're feeling that vibe with me here.

Kid, you been listening to too much EMO music.
You're soft. Toughen up Benchy.

RedWingsNow*

"Splitting Hairs"- Trivial objections (also referred to as hair-splitting, nothing but objections, barrage of objections and banal objections) is an informal logical fallacy where irrelevant and sometimes frivolous objections are made to divert the attention away from the topic that is being discussed. This type of argument is called a "quibble" or "quillet". Trivial objections are a special case of red herring.

You don't know splitting hairs when you see it.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
We have seen Babs in numerous interviews and it shows he really like his players and gets personal and excited when one of them is doing very well. So when he exaggerates, he is just making a point that he really likes what he sees from a player. He has thru the years more or less complimented half the team as being the best in team right now. Many times interviews are done after the games and he might be euphoric and just say what's popping up.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Are you ****ing kidding me?:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Was I supposed to call Mike Babcock myself? Is that how you do it?

I saw that quote. I criticized Mike Babcock for the WORDS HE USED.

Because I disagree with the opinion stated by Babcock.

You watch a lot of Oprah and feel sensitive about issues like bullying and stuff don;t you.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Benchy, you're full of ****.

You take issue with my opinion without ever addressing the opinion. You do this, you say, because you don't want to "waste your time."

And then you spend the rest of the afternoon and evening wasting your time attacking my opinion -- without ever saying why I am wrong?

Do you not understand how off-the-wall that is?

My goodness. Few people have eaten as much crow as I have.

It's funny. I don't think Z is the best choice for captain. A lot of people here think that.
But in this thread, a few days ago, I gave my honest opinion about Z and whether or not he could handle the C in Lidstrom's retirement ... And I do. I think Z will be a fine captain, and I said so in a complimentary way.

Where the hell were you to agree with that?

Nope. You only chime in when I'm critical of a player.

That says something about you, Benchy.

Stop being so dishonest.

Babcock said that Zetterberg has been WAY WAY better than anyone on the team this year. I disagree.

Had Babcock said Zetterberg has been better than anyone else, I might not agree. But I wouldn't have called him clueless.

So the "COUNTRY MILE" is exactly what I am referencing. You're trying to downplay it.

Kid, you been listening to too much EMO music.
You're soft. Toughen up Benchy.

Oprah, blah, blah, soft, blah blah.

Show me the post where you admitted somebody bested you and I'll go punch meat tonight.

RedWingsNow*

Oprah, blah, blah, soft, blah blah.

Show me the post where you admitted somebody bested you and I'll go punch meat tonight.

"Somebody bested me?"

LOL

You got a funny way of lookin' at things, Benchy.

First you say, "Why don't you ever here someone's post and say, 'Man, that's a good point,' I think I might change my opinion a bit.'"

Now it's all about "getting bested."

One second, you're Mr. Emo. Next second, you're a cage fighter.

I can think of lots of times where I said something, and somebody posted a link to show me I was wrong. Links? Not so much.

I can remember posting a mea-culpa (to a certain extent) about the Rafalski signing.
I thought it was Holland's first big mistake of the cap era. But since we won the cup, that was obviously not the case.
I remember posting a mea culpa about Ozzie -- I thought we were doomed when he sat in for Hasek in 08.

Over the years, I've changed my opinions on things, based partially on opinions I've seen in here (Like Heaton's opinion about expensive goalies -- I'm not as extreme as Heater, but i've certainly moved a lot)

When people discuss - the goal isn't to change minds instantly.
But solid opinions can take hold when the facts in front of your eyes start to show, that, maybe that guy has a point.

Now, forwhatever reason, you had a hissyfit reaction because I said Babcock was clueless.

I later changed my statement to -- either Babcock is clueless or he was just being dumb (to pump someone's tires).

Either way, what he said was wrong, in my opinion.

And if you disagree, tell me why.

If you just want to bash me for not licking Babcock's toes ... well you should find someone else to talk to Benchy

RedWingsNow*

You guys are going back and forth over who's better between z and d, and by how much. That's a pretty moot point. At least it started as that before it went personal.

Actually, we haven't, Frik It.

Bench isn't arguing about Datsyuk and Z.

I said Babcock was clueless if he thinks Z has been a "country mile" better than Datsyuk so far, because think, for the most part, they've been equal. They've both owned it a few games. They've both had a couple less than stellar games.
Z leads in points. Datsyuk line gets owned less, though, defensively, and Datsyuk is the better faceoff guy.

Benchy hasn't talked about this at all. I honestly don't know what the hell Benchy is arguing for, other than to argue.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I said Babcock was clueless if he thinks Z has been a "country mile" better than Datsyuk so far, because think, for the most part, they've been equal. They've both owned it a few games. They've both had a couple less than stellar games.

Ok fair enough, I'll step outta the way now.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Zetterberg's play has been elevated to unreal levels since being named captain of our club. I absolutely dissent with Bob's accusations of him having bad games, and as Heaton has stated in other threads, Bob is the biggest flag waiver of Datsyuk which causes him to feel the need to compare Hank to Pavs in a somewhat negative connotation. Hank has had bad moments, some awful turnovers, etc. But all in all, Hank is created tons of offense, looks strong on the puck not unlike that of a power forward(not that he is a power forward, mind you), and has shown selke calibre defense this season. Now let's not take anything from Datsyuk, he's been absolutely phenomenal this season as well. Perhaps he's a little snake bitten, he could easily have 3-5 more goals already this season, but our best players have been carrying us this season. If we lost any of Hank, Pavs, or Howie, we'd be in disastrous trouble.

As for Bob's comments regarding Nick Lidstrom's captaincy. I think Nick was an undoubtedly great captain. Did he have the moments like Stevie where he lead the team on one leg, play with the team for 14 seasons before winning a Stanley Cup, or anything of that nature? No, obviously not, but not many players have such storied careers or captaincies. Lidstrom was a great leader for this hockey club, and he really eased the transition between the Yzerman, Shanahan, Fedorov era to the Datsyuk and Zetterberg era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad