Pre-Game Talk: How Would You Like To See The Blues Use Their Three 1's?

How Do You Want The Blues To Handle Their Three 1st Round Picks?

• Restock the pipeline - make selections at 10, 25, and 29

• Make a pick at 10, trade 25 + 29 for immediate help

• Trade all 3 picks to move up as high as they can

• Make picks 10 and 25, trade back from 29 (see OP)

• Make a pick at 10, trade 25 + 29 to move up as high as possible

• Other (what?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Make pick 10.
Trade pick 25 for a Dean like return, young player ready to make the leap, with plenty of control.
Trade pick 29 for two 2nds and make both picks.

I like the idea, but why would another team make that trade for our 25 for a player ready to make the leap?

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Depends on the returns offered for those picks. It’s going to take 3-5 years for those picks to be roster ready if they pan out. If the choice is to compete now, they’re some or all being traded for player packages. Focusing to Restock the pipeline now closes the window.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
I like the idea, but why would another team make that trade for our 25 for a player ready to make the leap?
Lets say were on the clock at 25, and another team has a player that's still available rated in their top 15, a team may be inclined to sell us another prospect if they are really high on said player.

Just as the Blues traded a prospect for the Tarasenko spot.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Either make all 3 picks, OR make picks #10/#25 and trade #29 for a couple of 2nds.

I'd only consider trading all 3 picks to move up if it gets us into the top 4-5 somehow, so that's not gonna happen.

I might consider making the #10 pick and then trading picks #25 & #29 for immediate help, but that really depends on the player we're getting. But even then, Armstrong would really need to have some tricks up his sleeve in the offseason. That can't be the only move he makes if he's trying to accelerate a retool. That would simply be step 1.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Lets say were on the clock at 25, and another team has a player that's still available rated in their top 15, a team may be inclined to sell us another prospect if they are really high on said player.

Just as the Blues traded a prospect for the Tarasenko spot.

i guess it’s possible, im just not sure how much value a late 1st is. I wouldnt trade Dean, Bolduc or Neighbors for a late 1st.

Reactions: Reality Czech

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

25. Blues’ First Round Picks

St. Louis (25th and 29th Overall)

Scoop: We’ve reported on the availability of these picks, as it will be shocking if Blues GM Doug Armstrong is walking to the podium all three times in the first round on June 28 in Nashville. The Blues are looking to move the picks they got for Ryan O’Reilly and Vladimir Tarasenko in exchange for 25-year-old and younger players who can make an impact on their team with cost control.
“Shocking,” lol. Didn’t DA say there was a 30% chance they’d keep all 3 picks?

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Personally I think there is really no wrong answers.

I would pick #10 unless somehow you have players super high to trade up, which I don't expect.

Pick #25 & #29 I would trade at least one of them for 2nd and 3rd round pick and use one of those picks you traded for to bring another player in.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Organizational depth. Rangers made this exact trade with stars last year bc they didn’t have spot for the d (lundqvist?) and stars wanted him for late 1st.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
As others have mentioned, it really depends on the situation.

Although, I'm never one to advocate moving down in drafts because I would much rather have more quality than quantity. Trading down to acquire more picks just gives the Blues more prospects. I don't think it gives them more chances on getting a "hit". It strikes me as a something akin to gambler's fallacy. I really only care to move up in a draft to better secure the chances of finding a contributing player.

Reactions: Xerloris

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I think making moves to help them now only delays the inevitable total collapse of this roster. No amount of (realistic) quick fixes will turn this current roster a real contender, so treading water and trying to be a bubble team for a few more years doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think you start looking ahead 3 or 4 years. You don't need to completely blow the team up, but it's time to start focusing on future success and not right now success.

My opinion is you always pick the most valuable assets available. Pick the best players available and don't focus on short term needs.

Right.

Improving the LHD is fool's gold. There are no good top pairing D-men that are reasonably available. And if one should become available, it would take a prohibitive amount of assets and/or very problematic contract to have him on the team.

And spending additional assets to move Krug is just a non-starter.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I don't see our team in as bad a shape as some others in here. I'd definitely like to see the best available at #10 and the other two picks my preference would be to look for upgrades that fit our current core that have at least 2 years of term. We are in a weird spot where we don't need a complete rebuild, but we need more than just a minor fix. I think we're going to be putting out a playoff capable team the next couple of years, but we won't really be a threat to go past the 2nd round. We need a couple of years with some better draft positioning to start the restock. I think going full restock now will waste the talents of what I believe is still a very good young core currently.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
IF it were me, I'd be using all 3 picks to restock the pipeline. This Draft is loaded, use the picks wisely and we could be set for the next five years.

That said; I fully expect to see at least one of the picks traded for an NHL player. And I wouldn't be surprised if we moved around in the Draft order with one of the others.

I'll go with
Stay at #10.
25 + moved for an NHL'er
29, a second next year and a 3rd this year to move up to around #20.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
What I want is a franchise altering use of the 3 picks like Dallas did in 2017.
Heiskanen - pick 3
Oettinger - pick 26
Robertson - pick 39

That’s what I want. We don’t have a top-3 pick but I bet there’s going to be a difference maker still on the board at 10. Hopefully it’s the guy the Blues pick. And this draft is so deep that I bet some guys with perceived flaws who will drop to the late 1st will show the concern was overblown and become stars. The Blues absolutely have the opportunity to completely change the trajectory of the franchise in 1 draft.

Also, l’ll note that Dallas could’ve had Makar too. He went 4th overall.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Depends on the returns offered for those picks. It’s going to take 3-5 years for those picks to be roster ready if they pan out. If the choice is to compete now, they’re some or all being traded for player packages. Focusing to Restock the pipeline now closes the window.
I'd say the season we just had closes the window, I'd prefer to open up a new window two years from now

What I want is a franchise altering use of the 3 picks like Dallas did in 2017.
Heiskanen - pick 3
Oettinger - pick 26
Robertson - pick 39

That’s what I want. We don’t have a top-3 pick but I bet there’s going to be a difference maker still on the board at 10. Hopefully it’s the guy the Blues pick. And this draft is so deep that I bet some guys with perceived flaws who will drop to the late 1st will show the concern was overblown and become stars. The Blues absolutely have the opportunity to completely change the trajectory of the franchise in 1 draft.

Also, l’ll note that Dallas could’ve had Makar too. He went 4th overall.
Reinbacher, Hrabal, Musty is as close to that is we'd be able to get of this lol. Replace Hrabal with Simashev and i'm game

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'd say the season we just had closes the window, I'd prefer to open up a new window two years from now

Reinbacher, Hrabal, Musty is as close to that is we'd be able to get of this lol. Replace Hrabal with Simashev and i'm game
If you fully close the window now you’re looking at 5-10 years to try to seriously compete again. That doesn’t sound like that’s what the front office wants or can do.

Army’s moves may have closed it sooner than it needed to be and we’re spent to the cap so a rebuild of any kind is not feasible and might be impossible in that timespan.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If you fully close the window now you’re looking at 5-10 years to try to seriously compete again. That doesn’t sound like that’s what the front office wants or can do.

Army’s moves may have closed it sooner than it needed to be and we’re spent to the cap so a rebuild of any kind is not feasible and might be impossible in that timespan.
I don't think full sale and rebuild is ever on the docket, but buying into a 2-year retool given where we are seems rather feasible.

We aren't winning with this D-core anytime soon, unless they all take steps forward. The forward group isn't deep enough top to bottom right now but we do have pieces in place that should be part of the long term core, as well as some promising young kids on the brink of becoming pro's. It's definitely gloomy here in Bluesville, but we have long term promise/hope, the worst thing we could do now is try to do what armys done since we lost petro, which got us to this situation, trying to fix open wounds with band aids....

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’m not advocating that we use one of the 1sts on a goalie. My point was position specific at all - just that they have the draft capital and should have the opportunity to truly make a huge impact if they make the right picks.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I’m not advocating that we use one of the 1sts on a goalie. My point was position specific at all - just that they have the draft capital and should have the opportunity to truly make a huge impact if they make the right picks.
Oh i know, just wanted to literally try to re-imagine it lol.

An ideal draft scenario for me personally, would be benson/leonard/Reinbacher at 10, Musty or ritchie at 25 and Simashev/Bonk at 29

Reactions: Spicy Panger

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I wouldn’t be upset whatsoever if we made all 3 picks, especially if it’s a guy we love at 10, and 2 guys who either dropped or have high upside with our late picks.

I don’t necessarily see that happening though. I think that at least one of our picks in the 20’s will be traded(Hanifin?), and wouldn’t be shocked if it’s both that are dealt.

I’m just ready for draft night to get here. Too many ways this could play out for us, and it’s a bit anxiety inducing lol.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Yeah no shit Pagnotta. We’ve been hearing that the blues have been willing to trade the later first round picks for a billion years. I swear this guys is either always late to the party with info or makes up random shit

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad