Pre-Game Talk: How Would You Like To See The Blues Use Their Three 1's?

How Do You Want The Blues To Handle Their Three 1st Round Picks?

• Restock the pipeline - make selections at 10, 25, and 29

• Make a pick at 10, trade 25 + 29 for immediate help

• Trade all 3 picks to move up as high as they can

• Make picks 10 and 25, trade back from 29 (see OP)

• Make a pick at 10, trade 25 + 29 to move up as high as possible

• Other (what?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Wanted to keep this separate from actual prospect/draft talk. Pretty straight forward: what would you like to see the Blues do in the first round of the draft? I tried to cover the most common scenarios that get talked about, though obviously couldn't get to every scenario. Assume for the sake of this thread that if the Blues make a given pick they're taking a prospect you like within that range. Also, for the trade back scenario - assume the Blues are trading back into the early-to-mid-second and picking up an additional pick later in the draft.

I recognize a lot of how you might feel about a certain scenario is conditional on how the draft shakes out, who falls/is a surprise early pick/etc. Just curious how people would prefer the Blues capitalize on having 3 first round selections, including a top 10 pick.

Reactions: Blueston

Mar 6, 2012
I think making moves to help them now only delays the inevitable total collapse of this roster. No amount of (realistic) quick fixes will turn this current roster a real contender, so treading water and trying to be a bubble team for a few more years doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think you start looking ahead 3 or 4 years. You don't need to completely blow the team up, but it's time to start focusing on future success and not right now success.

My opinion is you always pick the most valuable assets available. Pick the best players available and don't focus on short term needs.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Make the 10th pick for sure.

With the other picks, I would make at least one trade. I would either pick at 25 and then trade down from 29 to receive two 2nds, or I would package one (or both if necessary) of those picks for immediate help. I’m fine with either option.

Reactions: Frenzy31

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Make all three picks. We have one prospect with top six forward upside, one with top nine upside, and then a whole bunch of nothing along with no defensive prospects of note and a bottom ten roster. There’s no reason to go for a quick fix. Make all the picks. Trade roster players for even more picks if possible.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Make all three picks. We have one prospect with top six forward upside, one with top nine upside, and then a whole bunch of nothing along with no defensive prospects of note and a bottom ten roster. There’s no reason to go for a quick fix. Make all the picks. Trade roster players for even more picks if possible.
This seriously sells our prospect pool short. Roster too, actually.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’d rather keep all 3 picks and watch everybody develop. If that means we pick in the top 10 again next year, then so be. We start making a run in 2025

Reactions: ToniJ1960

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I'm a draft dork that's pissed we don't have a 2nd so of course I chose 'Give us all the picks and get us a pair of 2nds'

Reactions: Spicy Panger

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I hate these type of polls. There is no right answer. The only right answer is "it depends".

"Trade all 3 picks to move up as high as they can"? What if as high as we can is 9th? Or what if its #1OA+? Depending on which, the answer on whether we should trade our picks to move up is drastically different.

Make pick 10? Well what if NYR offered Miller+ for Krug + 10th? Or what if there were no good trade offers and the player we really like fell down the board to 10? Again, completely different answer for me.

So my answer is: Other - do what is best for the team given the trade offers and players that are available on draft day while prioritizing a Long term top pair solution at D followed by just getting the highest upside player/s we can..

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I'm curious which prospect you have with top 6 and which with top 9, but more so which ones are you selling short. Bolduc and Snuggy both have top 6 potential which is what upside is. Dean and Neigbours both have clear top 9 potential. You could argue all have top 6 potential. I don't even like our prospect pool and I think you are going way, way too harsh here.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm curious which prospect you have with top 6 and which with top 9, but more so which ones are you selling short. Bolduc and Snuggy both have top 6 potential which is what upside is. Dean and Neigbours both have clear top 9 potential. You could argue all have top 6 potential. I don't even like our prospect pool and I think you are going way, way too harsh here.
Snuggy top 6, Dean top 9. Neighbours I don’t really consider a prospect as he played in the NHL most of the year, but if you want to include him, fine. Two top nine forwards to go with a really solid prospect in Snuggerud. Bolduc is career AHL/Euro star material. Doesn’t really change the need for a substantial influx of young talent.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
This seriously sells our prospect pool short. Roster too, actually.
Who outside of Snuggy and Dean is going to be a true impact NHLer? Guys like Loof, Buchinger, Bolduc etc. are dime a dozen. That level player can be had any off-season for like a third round pick.

And I don’t understand how I’m possibly selling the roster short by calling it bottom ten when we’re picking 10th because we’re a bottom ten team.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Who outside of Snuggy and Dean is going to be a true impact NHLer? Guys like Loof, Buchinger, Bolduc etc. are dime a dozen. That level player can be had any off-season for like a third round pick.

And I don’t understand how I’m possibly selling the roster short by calling it bottom ten when we’re picking 10th because we’re a bottom ten team.
I don’t know who will be impact nhl player. Nor do you. But Dean, snuggy, and Bolduc all clearly have that potential. Robertsson and kaskimaki couid be good nhl forwards too. The d are lesser prospects, agreed. But given we have 3 1st round picks, I think its likely (barring trades) we have top 10 prospect pool by opening night.

as to our nhl roster, we have a couple holes but most teams do. I don’t think we are near as bad as we looked this year. I would put our talent middle of the pack. Would like to see how we look with better coaching and better room. Folks are too quick to decide everyone is awful based on one crappy season.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

It's funny how you're anointing Dean as an impact player.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

That’s depressing. Thanks a lot lol

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Too many variables to get locked into one choice. I don’t expect Army to make 3 picks in the first round. I would vote that as the least likely outcome.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I’d choose to restock the pipeline…and that includes dealing Parayko to Buffalo for #13 (if the option is available, and I’m not saying this because of any animosity towards Parayko; I just would like one of those picks to be Reinbacher or Willander, depending on if they’re there at #10) as well as sending Scandella to another team (haven’t thought about whom) for a fifth or sixth.

Not sure which team would take Krug, but I’m perfectly fine with sending him to a team for salary relief, if at all possible. It may crater our defense next year, but we’re likely drafting high in 2024 as well, especially if Vrana and Kapanen are dealt for high round picks.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
K'Andre Miller would be an ideal target in my mind, I'd assume that probably includes #10. So I'd like to see #10 dealt, and make picks at #25 and #29

If we make picks at both #10 and #25, could definitely see #29 for two of Detroit's three 2nds happening.

Making picks with all three would be the most boring, also, I think it's the least likely given how Army has dealt with having multiple 1sts in the past.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Whatever makes them a better and more likeable team. I could care less as long as its a good move or decision.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’d choose to restock the pipeline…and that includes dealing Parayko to Buffalo for #13 (if the option is available, and I’m not saying this because of any animosity towards Parayko; I just would like one of those picks to be Reinbacher or Willander, depending on if they’re there at #10) as well as sending Scandella to another team (haven’t thought about whom) for a fifth or sixth.

Not sure which team would take Krug, but I’m perfectly fine with sending him to a team for salary relief, if at all possible. It may crater our defense next year, but we’re likely drafting high in 2024 as well, especially if Vrana and Kapanen are dealt for high round picks.

If we dealt Parayko to Buffalo for #13, traded Vrana and Kap at the TDL for a 1st and 2nd potentially, that means our 2024 pick will be a top 7-8 too. Our pipeline would be loaded. Not the worst idea in the world.

Reactions: Memento

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
We do need to restock our pipeline with high end talent and I don't believe the Blues are as bad as they played most of last season. I voted to pick #10 & #25, trade back with #29 for seconds. This draft is deep. Lots of talent and hidden gems in the 2nd as well. If we scout well, this will pull in (4?) high end prospects that we desperately need. Potentially huge draft for us.

If I were DA, I wouldn't use this draft capital for roster spots. Not this time. We are in transition and he needs to embrace it.

Reactions: Blueston

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Sounds like a set answer, but you do what you can to improve the team in any way.
That includes making the picks, moving players in the system , or roster players. The Blues aren't in a total rebuild, but they need help in many areas. Any assets they have should be looked at to move if it help's the present and future of the organization.
That being said, I would make the selection at 10. Hopefully, somehow Dvorsky falls to the Blues, but would be happy with either Reinbacher or Willander. Best player available for sure at 10.
With the 25th and 29th most likely making the picks as well . There are probably 7 or so names on the Blues list that could fit into those selections. Unless some player falls that a team really other than the Blues like, the Blues make the picks. All picks and players acquired with those picks become assets. So they can be moved at the draft or later. It's easy to get locked in with certain draft prospects that become your favorites or that fill needs like on D. However, the smart play is to select best players available and if they happen to fill a need that's even better. But again, they become assets of which can be developed or traded.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Depends on what's available and the interest in 29.. I say atleast make two selections and trade one in either a deal for a young roster player or trade back for a 2nd+3rd

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Depends on what's available and the interest in 29.. I say atleast make two selections and trade one in either a deal for a young roster player or trade back for a 2nd+3rd
Unless we are only moving back 4-5 spots would need more than a 3rd to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad