How would you “fix” the NHL

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
1. Each team sponsors/hosts free youth hockey clinics .. like 4 one day events spread out through the year

2. Original 6 day. Not my idea, someones elses.

3. McDavid featured as much as possible on weekend day nationally televised games. Pass the torch from Ovi/Crosby to McDavid already ffs

4. Make Matthews date a Kardashian or Taylor Swift

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Big fix would be to automate some calls like if the puck crosses the goal line or offsides. Technology can handle both easily. Anything really to take strain off refs so they don't miss obvious stuff.
It would be incredibly hard for both, changing the rules for a good goals could make it easier (center of the puck crosses the goal line instead of the whole puck) but even then you need something really fast, it is not like Tennis when a camera can perfectly see the ball.

Offside with the current rules would also be incredibly hard to handle, having control of the puck being quite subjective, maybe they could change the rules for one a tech could handle, simple skate-puck position type too.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No more games in the West that start after 10pm Eastern time just because they don't want overlap in games. If a game with, say Colorado or Edmonton starts that late, it doesn't matter how much star power is in that game, there aren't going to be many people out East who start watching the game at 10 pm.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If they’re going to expand further, then there should no longer be any inter-conference regular season games

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
shrink the league down to 24 teams

play fewer games. 1 weekday game, 1 weekend game a week.

get rid of 3-on-3 and the loser point. just straight wins a losses

go back to the old playoff format.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
1. Each team sponsors/hosts free youth hockey clinics .. like 4 one day events spread out through the year

2. Original 6 day. Not my idea, someones elses.

3. McDavid featured as much as possible on weekend day nationally televised games. Pass the torch from Ovi/Crosby to McDavid already ffs

4. Make Matthews date a Kardashian or Taylor Swift
I think they've tried to give the torch to McDavid, he's just too boring of a personality. Ovi was very fun, and Crosby always got criticized for being boring, but he turned it around a few years ago and is probably one of the greatest ambassadors to the game ever, every story you hear about him he seems like a great guy.
McDavid is a phenomenal player, but he's even more boring than Crosby somehow. Although he's been more humorous this season I've noticed so hopefully he'll start having more fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: pekka55

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
No more games in the West that start after 10pm Eastern time just because they don't want overlap in games. If a game with, say Colorado or Edmonton starts that late, it doesn't matter how much star power is in that game, there aren't going to be many people out East who start watching the game at 10 pm.

So, you want games to at what time on the West coast? 5:30...6:00?

shrink the league down to 24 teams

play fewer games. 1 weekday game, 1 weekend game a week.

get rid of 3-on-3 and the loser point. just straight wins a losses

go back to the old playoff format.

So, get rid of the original 6 and who else?

Reactions: Summer Rose

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
-Make the TV broadcasts black and white again

-make the 4th player on the ice the 3rd but only when there's 2 forwards available

-no goalies allowed to skate past center icer

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I loved hockey back in the 90’s and early 2000’s and as I got older, the game is definitely not as much fun to watch and I have more excitement for the NFL. After watching movies like Ice Guardians, you can see the game isn’t the same.

Just curious, if given control over the NHL what would be your priorities?
Win in regulation: 3 points.
Win in OT (4 vs 4): 2 points
Tie: 1 point
Any loss: 0 points.

Get rid of the stupid losers point.

Reactions: Miro4Norris

G50

May 21, 2011
Near the Wolves, IL
Divisions are almost always going to be a compromise. These divisions are set up to minimize out-of-time-zone games. I don't really see an issue withe the Central and Pacific divisions. The eastern divisions are a little weirder but I'm pretty sure that's a result of the fact that any realignment required a 3/4 vote of owners to approve. So, with 30 teams, any group of 8 could block a proposal. It's pretty well known that NYR, NYI, NJD, PIT, PHI, and WAS wanted to be in the same division. CBJ and DET wanted out of the west. I think those 8 teams might have teamed up to block any proposal that didn't accomplish those two goals.

Keeping the first playoff rounds within the division was an attempt to reduce playoff travel.

Canes not being in the same division as the two FLs is pretty stupid though.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
I think they've tried to give the torch to McDavid, he's just too boring of a personality. Ovi was very fun, and Crosby always got criticized for being boring, but he turned it around a few years ago and is probably one of the greatest ambassadors to the game ever, every story you hear about him he seems like a great guy.
McDavid is a phenomenal player, but he's even more boring than Crosby somehow. Although he's been more humorous this season I've noticed so hopefully he'll start having more fun.
Yep, no one really cares about Edmonton. Also just like you said, McDavid is one of the most boring personalities in all of professional sports. Great on the ice, awful off the ice.

Doesn't help that Edmonton has no real success in the playoffs with McDavid.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Get rid of Bettman. Fire him, or fire him out of a cannon into the sun.

Retrain every single referee, and make it visible when they **** up on a massive, game breaking scale. Hold them to a much, much, much higher standard.

No more of this 10 am start nonsense. Infact, all games start at 7pm PST, regardless of location.

Relocate Toronto to some back water city that shouldn't, logically, have any major league sports franchise. There will also be a moratorium on the NHL returning forever. They can keep the St Pat's though.

Fighting is mandatory.

No suspensions for head contact, but for every illegal check to the head, the player receiving said hit will get to go at the hitter with a baseball bat (with his helmet on of course). In the event there is a serious injury, the team can elect to send a champion in the hittee's place.

Bring back Bettman, just to get rid of him again.

Steroids are also mandatory.

The league must ensure every player can opt out of the all Star game, but must also allow them to play for any international tournament the player wishes.

Free hat.

I think that does it.

Oh, also you should win things for watching.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Go back to 1 on-ice ref and move the other into a tech assisted role somewhere on site. It's kind of crazy that people watching on TV can sometimes see more than the refs.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Simple, get rid of Bettman and completely squash The Land Filled Arizona Coyotes Project! Houston, Salt Lake City and Quebec City, are more viable locations than Arizona!

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ban all the bendy "rubber" hockey sticks
Make the goalies equipment normal size again, instead of the miniature model
3-2-0 point system (3 from regulation W, 2 from OT/SO win, 0 points from any L)
Think up a new PP system, the "force play" is stupid AF

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
make games start at the scheduled time, start as in puck drop not start of some ceremony. also make Tampa change their uniforms so they are not the exact same as Toronto's.

Reactions: barriers

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I don't think much needs to be changed. Just ref the game accordingly. Refs are way too involved, let the two teams play and call a penalty that's legitimately a penalty. Ever since these betting ads came along, game management has been at a all-time high.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
make games start at the scheduled time, start as in puck drop not start of some ceremony. also make Tampa change their uniforms so they are not the exact same as Toronto's.
I didn't know that Toronto has a lightning bolt on their sweaters?

I don't think much needs to be changed. Just ref the game accordingly. Refs are way too involved, let the two teams play and call a penalty that's legitimately a penalty. Ever since these betting ads came along, game management has been at a all-time high.

How about call EVERY penalty?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes