How would you “fix” the NHL

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Make the goalies equipment normal size again, instead of the miniature model
I'll probably have that oh, yeah, of course moment after, but I've read this and it hasn't clicked yet so I'm still going to ask: what do you mean by this?

go back to the old playoff format.
I'm assuming you mean ... 1-8 by conference, division winners get the top-2 seeds? Because there's a lot of old playoff formats [top-4 each division regardless of overall; division winners, next 8 [would now be 12] overall regardless of division or conference] and I just want to make sure we're all on the same page on which one we're going back to.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'll probably have that oh, yeah, of course moment after, but I've read this and it hasn't clicked yet so I'm still going to ask: what do you mean by this?
The poster is referring to the reduction in the size of goalie gear over the last 10-15 years.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The poster is referring to the reduction in the size of goalie gear over the last 10-15 years.
OK, so is that implying goaltending equipment today is too small and we need to make it bigger?

I'm really not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to understand what "normal size" vs. "miniature model" equipment represents.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If they’re going to expand further, then there should no longer be any inter-conference regular season games
I don't think you need to go that far. Let's assume a 36 team league with the same divisional and conference set-up as now.

If each team played 1 game against each team in the other conference (18 games), 2 games against the teams in the other division in their own conference (18 games), that leaves 46 games against teams in their own divisions. They could play 6 games against 6 of those teams and 5 games against the other two, or they could go to 84 games and teams would play each of their division mates 6 times.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
OK, so is that implying goaltending equipment today is too small and we need to make it bigger?

I'm really not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to understand what "normal size" vs. "miniature model" equipment represents.
I think the poster was saying, perhaps sarcastically, that they wanted the bigger goalie back. That's all.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
the fact that they went too extreme in fixing the lack of offense from 2010-2017.

feel like 2018-2020 was a good middle ground for offense and physical play.

G50

May 21, 2011
Near the Wolves, IL
Raleigh is actually closer to all the teams in the Metro than they are to St. Petersburg, FL. (home of the Lightning).
while the FLs are very far away from the rest of their division in comparison lol. The east is just bizarre in how it's geographically aligned.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
"Fix" as in go back to legal head hunting hits and staged fights?
"Fix" as in not play teams from 3k miles away that no one cares about, "fix" as get rid of the going through the motions emotionless players, etc

I'm so glad we don't have cheap shots and head hunting in the NHL anymore btw :eyeroll:

Reactions: pekka55

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Reduce the amount of regular season games by about 15-20. We're at around the 66 game mark right now, and it feels like it would be a great time to start playoffs.
This..get rid of meaningless games too. More division play, less interconference play. Chop down the regular season to 68 or 70 games.

While we're at it, can we chop MLB's season down to 110-120 games as well? When a team is 30 games out in July do we really need to see them play another 90 games? 😴

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Add rink girl and put heavy metal when goal are scored and laser shots. Put the rink surface black and the board green neon. Allow fight until bleeding.

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I've only gone through 5 pages of posts, but I think it's interesting that just in that there's as many posts for calling the instigator rule (3) as there are getting rid of it (3).

Also: cloning, sharks under the ice, no jock straps for goalies, and shots of vodka. Not sure if that last one is for the players, or fans, or both.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
The NHLPA would never accept it, but I'd push hard to ban all no-trade clauses in player contracts.

They're really great for the individual players as they can control where they go, or at all, but suck for everyone else, hinder league parity and more. And while they were once only given out to a privileged few it seems rosters are now full of NTC players, making it very difficult for GMs to make trades and for teams in certain cities to acquire talent outside of the draft, while for others (Viva Las Vegas!), every player and their pet dog want to go there.
we lost a full season of hockey for the salary cap. While im all for the salary cap, I'd bet you lose multiple seasons trying to get rid of NTC?NMC

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Go back to 1v8

And the top teams get to choose their first round playoff opponent
1 gets to choose any team from 2-8
If 2 isn’t chosen then they choose their opponent
Etc etc

Would create more rivalries and narratives which the NHL needs

Reactions: Lions67

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
Go back to 1v8

And the top teams get to choose their first round playoff opponent
1 gets to choose any team from 2-8
If 2 isn’t chosen then they choose their opponent
Etc etc

Would create more rivalries and narratives which the NHL needs
I like this idea very much!

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Accountability for referees. Scorecard of missed calls and incorrect calls or press availability of head referee post game. Third referee in the sky to overturn and/or make calls to improve calls on ice. Third eye ref is very senior even recently retired.

No offside challenge after puck is in zone for more than some amount of time (8-12 seconds)

Reactions: pekka55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad