How would you “fix” the NHL

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Probably not going to be a popular opinion, but I'd let each team stand or fall on its own merits and ability to procure venues and generate revenue. The league interjecting itself constantly into the Coyotes situation wouldn't happen. If a team's city, fanbase, etc. can't or won't support the team, then fold it. Doesn't mean moving it for the sake of keeping the team. This way, multiple failed experiments like Atlanta would not be considered going forward.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
How about keeping the hard cap but with the following:

• A teams own drafted players do not count towards the cap
  • A designated "star" player on a team that doesn't count towards the cap
  • The cap also applies in the playoffs (so you can only dress accordingly)

There is $43.975mill for the Oilers And another 6 if we declare Ekholm our "designate star"!

$49.975mill extra to spend?

BOOM!! Let's do it ;)

Sure would suck to be Vegas lol

Last edited:
Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Fire every executive and start over. Hire a diverse collection of hockey people who will not hire and rehire the same "ole boys" who have been running this sport for so long.

What does ‘diverse’ mean to you? The neo-definition, meaning Non-white? Or are you going with the classic definition?

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Old seasons are stronger but it's right players currently seasons but I don't have any favorite team and players today.

I looked only my third NHL game in saturday of season.

I have a favorite team in Div2 in Sweden.

I had a 9 year break from 1998 to 2007 before I go to games again.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Fire Bettmen, Daly, Harnett, McArdle, Campbell and Parros immediately.

Then instruct the officials to call the games as they see them. Also make them face the media after each game.

Also make DOPS independent and make it a panel of 3. 1 former player, 1 former coach and 1 former referee.

Mack a doodle doo

Apr 16, 2016
Stop Diminishing the Leagues credibility By continuously adding expansion franchises and setting them up to contend for/win a cup immediately at the expense of the leagues already diluted talent pool(as well as at the expense of the fans that have supported the already established teams in the league up to this time).

The NHL will die a slow death the more they lean into the NBA style(Super team/luxury city must always prevail model)

Reactions: Daz28

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
What does ‘diverse’ mean to you? The neo-definition, meaning Non-white? Or are you going with the classic definition?
Wow, this is an old thread. Can't remember exactly where my head was at the time I posted, but when I see organizations run solely by men, there are usually cover ups and circling the wagons to protect their own no matter how disgusting the crime.
By diverse, I mostly want the sport to Involve non-hockey people, especially more females. Organizations run soley by males have proved time and time again that they (we) can't be trusted not to abuse that authority or to monitor one another and correct bad behavior.
My major fault with hockey and the thing that makes me turn away from the sport every now and then are the cover ups - especially in regards to sexual assault. I want non-hockey people to provide oversight - not the current system of shuffling the names and drawing replacements from the same pool of recognized hockey men that are cut of the same mold as those who looked away from the problems in the first place.

So that's what diverse means to me in this instance. Not from the pool of the hockey world and more females. I just trust women and non-hockey people more when it comes to the issues that trouble me the most with this sport.

Reactions: Lua

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
  1. 3-2-1-0 Point system
  2. 10 min 3 v 3
  3. Remove ads from jerseys and apologize
  4. No digital ad movement while game is in play. Change ads only during stoppage.
  5. Clean house on department of player safety. Create system for supplementary discipline with clear definitions for infractions and penalties. Appeals to go to someone other than the NHL Commissioner.
  6. One streaming package that allows viewing of all games with no blackouts.
  7. Figure out what goaltender interference is and train officials to the point of league consistency.
  8. Call the book always. No more game mgmt.
  9. Address inequity of Canadian dollar versus US dollar and no/low tax states vs high tax states relative to cap system.
  10. Playoff teams can have roster that exceeds the cap but they have to dress under the cap.
  11. PWHL adopted system for draft order...no more tanking.

Reactions: Lauro

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Go back to one ref system and hold them publicly accountable with a camera attached to their helmet.
Each team gets to submit a 3 ref veto list for the regular season, expanded to 5 for the playoffs.
Automatic 5 and a game for diving with a suspension starting at one game and doubling for repeat offenders.
Offer a paid subscription to view games with mics on the ice, without commentators or digital advertising.
3 points for a win in regulation, and keep playing 3 on 3 until there's a goal. Lose the shootout.
Any player on LTIR prior to the playoffs must miss the first round.
Change the puck over glass penalty to the same as after an icing.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Go back to one ref system and hold them publicly accountable with a camera attached to their helmet.
Each team gets to submit a 3 ref veto list for the regular season, expanded to 5 for the playoffs.
Automatic 5 and a game for diving with a suspension starting at one game and doubling for repeat offenders.
Offer a paid subscription to view games with mics on the ice, without commentators or digital advertising.
3 points for a win in regulation, and keep playing 3 on 3 until there's a goal. Lose the shootout.
Any player on LTIR prior to the playoffs must miss the first round.
Change the puck over glass penalty to the same as after an icing.
As much as I want to stop the "selling it" BS before it's too late, I'd be happy with at least calling BOTH players when there is a penalty noticed by an embellishing player getting the refs attention.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Switch the game to 4v4. Keep roster size the same, just 4v4. Teams would be able to experiment with different sorts of specialty players and would be more dynamic.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
As much as I want to stop the "selling it" BS before it's too late, I'd be happy with at least calling BOTH players when there is a penalty noticed by an embellishing player getting the refs attention.
That won't really do anything to stop it though. Punish only the dive and coaches will put a stop to it real quick.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I loved hockey back in the 90’s and early 2000’s and as I got older, the game is definitely not as much fun to watch and I have more excitement for the NFL. After watching movies like Ice Guardians, you can see the game isn’t the same.

Just curious, if given control over the NHL what would be your priorities?
"Its for the kids!"

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
More sports betting, replace play by play with odds:
"Odds Rielly will cross check this guy for what how he scores in the empty net"
"Over under 60 seconds Torts leaves the bench after being tossed out"
"Odds that the following Vegas player will have a season ending injury that miracously heals just in time for game 1 of the playoffs"

Etc etc, the game needs more betting period, it's being ruined with all this "sport" or "gamesmanship," we don't care about that nonsense just give us over unders and spreads and us real Hockey fans can go to dinner.

• Haha
Reactions: Satans Hockey

Qurpiz

Nudes in bio
Nov 5, 2006
3 points for regulation win
2 points for OT/SO win
1 point for OT/SO loss
0 points for regulation loss

And look at that, every game awards 3 points. Holy shit.

EDIT: OH and 1vs8 playoffs

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Remove offsides reviews

Make the break between periods an even 15 minutes

More inter division games and only play the other conference once instead of twice

Experiment at the AHL level with ways to improve 3 on 3

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
1v8 for playoff seeding

Have an external body handle DPOS rulings (no former players involved, at least none who have played in the last 20 years).

Playoff officiating should be identical to how it is in the regular season.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Inflated cap at the trade deadline

Teams get a 25% increase a set time before the deadline, teams must be salary cap compliant going into training camp.

It will help teams in the basement sell off their players and see top teams loading up more. Will allow for more creativity,

example: teams trading for players with two years or more remaining for a cup run, and potentially moving them to recoup assets and become cap compliant going into the season.

bottom of the barrel teams will have a chance at acquiring players of value with one year left from contenders that are trying to be cap compliant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad