How would you “fix” the NHL

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I loved hockey back in the 90’s and early 2000’s and as I got older, the game is definitely not as much fun to watch and I have more excitement for the NFL. After watching movies like Ice Guardians, you can see the game isn’t the same.

Just curious, if given control over the NHL what would be your priorities?

a penalty in exhibition game 1, period 1 is called exactly the same in SCF game 7, else the Ref's are fired.
Kill Salary cap, OR at least add tax equity, so, ALL teams are on a fair and balanced playing field, and no more low tax, and tax free states getting advantages of signing players cheaper than high tax states/provinces
3 pts for a regulation win
2 pts for OT win
1 pts OTL

Reactions: Chungo2

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think a bigger rink would solve 90 percent of the problems in the game.

It'd open the game up to more skilled players increasing debt, it'd make the game faster, more complex, etc.

I think people forget how much talent the nhl has. You can't compare european leagues to ours.

European leagues are worse, Finland got rid of international ice and went to hybrid.
Most hockey minds say the European game is worse than NA, everything gets pushed to the outside.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Luxury tax.

Let teams go over the hard cap to sign any player that was on their roster BEFORE the trade deadline. For the privilege, they pay luxury tax based on the amount they've gone over.

Any other player (UFAs) or trade deadline acquisitions have to remain under the hard cap. This ensures rich teams don't go crazy signing everyone from the free agency pool cause they're owned by billionaires.

Right now, teams are literally putting in the hard work, building up players, and then losing them because they get priced out. It's happening to all teams including the "poor" ones that are being protected by a hard cap.

It takes away the idea of building a homegrown team and turns it into a game of counting pennies.

I 100% agree teams shouldn't start accumulating players left, right, and center. But there has to be more leeway to retain your own players and the "8-year term" is not good enough because most players want more money faster.
I like this

Dec 15, 2002
With a littany of recent ideas to "fix" the NHL, I think it's time to bump this and see what new ideas people have. Or, what old ideas people want to mention again.

I don't care if you read through any of the prior posts, I'm not going to talk over anyone's idea. You've been handed the keys to the corner office at One Manhattan West in New York City, the Board of Governors has said "whatever you want to do, we're fine with." No strings attached, no restrictions, no pesky CBA involved.

Salary cap?
Draft?
Playoffs?
Point systems?
Marketing?
Location of teams?
Expansion / contraction?
Playing rules?

All of it. More than that. Whatever. Lob all your ideas, tell everyone how you would fix the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
With a littany of recent ideas to "fix" the NHL, I think it's time to bump this and see what new ideas people have. Or, what old ideas people want to mention again.

I don't care if you read through any of the prior posts, I'm not going to talk over anyone's idea. You've been handed the keys to the corner office at One Manhattan West in New York City, the Board of Governors has said "whatever you want to do, we're fine with." No strings attached, no restrictions, no pesky CBA involved.

Lob all your ideas, tell everyone how you would fix the NHL.
Same as usual....

1) Ditch the offsides challenge.
2) Do something, anything with DOPS. Hire a monkey to throw darts at a chart on the wall..... anything.

Reactions: banks

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I'd probably get my sh!t together and partner with a streaming service or reconfigure CentreIce to provide complete streaming packages to customers. Both team and full league packages. A lot of piracy is only done because of lack of legal options. I want to pay money for a good service, it needs to exist first.

Reactions: banks

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Really wouldn't be interested in a direct luxury tax but I would be interested in homegrown, drafted players counting only 85% against your cap or something.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I loved hockey back in the 90’s and early 2000’s and as I got older, the game is definitely not as much fun to watch and I have more excitement for the NFL. After watching movies like Ice Guardians, you can see the game isn’t the same.

Just curious, if given control over the NHL what would be your priorities?
Its all the "fixing" that lead to your post.
The game is faster sure.
But are their any more real legit team rivalries ? Nope Aves Wings, Bruins Habs, Habs Nords, Flames Oiler, Sens Leafs, Islanders Rangers, Rangers Flyers , Hawks Blues.......all dead. Just another game that likely goes to a schoolyard recess shoot out with some nice "cellies"after goals..
Where are all the characters? Probert , Hull, Domi, Messier, Chelios, Gilmour, Selanne , Roy, Hasek , Stevens, CuJo, Lindros, Roenick, Bure, Roberts, Theo Fluery, Jagr, Tony Twist, Neely, Linesman??

I watched Oilers Pens on Sunday....or should i say tried to. Looked forward to it. McDavid vs Crosby plus all the big names in that game. Was gonna watch the game then wash my truck and the wifes car. After two completely boring periods and a couple idiots blabbering on as commentators .....I passed on the third period to go wash the truck and car.
There are far too many games like that these days.

Cant bring on the play offs soon enough.........and I just heard they are still six weeks away! YAWN

Fix the NHL?........Ha! Im told this is the "fixed" NHL.

Last edited:

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Luxury tax.

Let teams go over the hard cap to sign any player that was on their roster BEFORE the trade deadline. For the privilege, they pay luxury tax based on the amount they've gone over.

Any other player (UFAs) or trade deadline acquisitions have to remain under the hard cap. This ensures rich teams don't go crazy signing everyone from the free agency pool cause they're owned by billionaires.

Right now, teams are literally putting in the hard work, building up players, and then losing them because they get priced out. It's happening to all teams including the "poor" ones that are being protected by a hard cap.

It takes away the idea of building a homegrown team and turns it into a game of counting pennies.

I 100% agree teams shouldn't start accumulating players left, right, and center. But there has to be more leeway to retain your own players and the "8-year term" is not good enough because most players want more money faster.

How about keeping the hard cap but with the following:

• A teams own drafted players do not count towards the cap
  • A designated "star" player on a team that doesn't count towards the cap
  • The cap also applies in the playoffs (so you can only dress accordingly)

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
- Salary cap should be based on take home pay, after taxes and not before taxes.
- NHL rules should be enforced consistently.
- Fighting has a place in hockey. Let it happen more often when players want to go.
- Playoff format should go back to 1v8.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

the game is played on the ice. Everyone plays by the same cap restrictions. Even Steven across the league.

Everyone wants to "play make believe" commissioner / owners.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
So many things I would do, but here's a few off the top of my head:
  • Ditch blackouts and NHL Network exclusive games, or at least make NHL Network available on ESPN+ or YouTube TV. I hate that I can't watch the Rangers any time they play the Canes or it's on NHL Network (I live in SC).
  • Go to a 3-2-1-0 point system, make every game worth 3 points. Incentivize teams to win in regulation!
  • Go back to a conference-based playoff format (1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5). Division winners automatically qualify, but do not necessarily get the top two seeds. For example, if the Atlantic division winner had less points than 3 other teams in the conference, they would be the 4 seed. The true top two teams should have the top two seeds.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
go back to the 1v8 2v7 playoff format.

Would like to see more consistent officiating. None of that bull shit where one team gets 3 straight 5 on 3’s.

Officials can also be held accountable.

Utilize instant replays to call penalties if needed.

10 min O.T of 4v4. I don’t really like the 3v3.

Salary cap includes playoffs.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
So many things I would do, but here's a few off the top of my head:
  • Ditch blackouts and NHL Network exclusive games, or at least make NHL Network available on ESPN+ or YouTube TV. I hate that I can't watch the Rangers any time they play the Canes or it's on NHL Network (I live in SC).
  • Go to a 3-2-1-0 point system, make every game worth 3 points. Incentivize teams to win in regulation!
  • Go back to a conference-based playoff format (1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5). Division winners automatically qualify, but do not necessarily get the top two seeds. For example, if the Atlantic division winner had less points than 3 other teams in the conference, they would be the 4 seed. The true top two teams should have the top two seeds.

I enjoyed the NHL TV app, it was the worst idea to abandon it.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'd probably get my sh!t together and partner with a streaming service or reconfigure CentreIce to provide complete streaming packages to customers. Both team and full league packages. A lot of piracy is only done because of lack of legal options. I want to pay money for a good service, it needs to exist first.

This is really well said, and it would be my #1 change as well. I'm more that happy to pay a reasonable price to watch games. But there is no reasonable product that lets me do that.

I'd also make sure there's no expansion in the future. 32 teams is more than enough, the talent pool is already spread a bit thin, and there's balance in the divisions and conference sizes. Don't mess with it just for an expansion fee.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
1. 3 pts for regulation win. 2 for ot/so with losing team getting 1

2. Change schedule
6 games against division - 42 games
3 against other division in conference - 24 games
1 against each team in other conference - 6 games. Play 1 division all at home, 1 all on the road. Switch each year.

3. Salary Cap - no AAV, but rather the amount paid each year. Smart GMs will stagger contracts to keep homegrown players.

4. LTIR - same rules apply during season. However, for Playoffs team must be cap compliant unless player remains on LTIR.

Or

If player is on LTIR at the end of regular season, they are not eligible for first round of playoffs. Player must be off LTIR prior to last game of season.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

This.
Homegrown drafted players should not count towards the cap or at least significantly reduced.

Other than that I’m not sure how you MAKE players be more physical but I miss the animosity and the violent legal hits.
I love speed and skill, but I also like the fear and intimidation.

That’s it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad