How Will The Team Respond Going Forward?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Let me put it like this. If a defenceman on Kessel’s Leafs got hit like Barrie did today, at least Phaneuf would’ve gone after them.

Tavares just stood there. Pathetic.

Tavares seems to be making a habit of talking hard truths in press conferences followed up by dud after dud on the ice. I'm not a huge believer in captains but we waited 3 years for this nonsense?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
ever watch the insider behind-the-scenes interviews with these leaf players?

the one where matthews is playing card games with nylander? or where marner plays guessing games with kapanen or whoever?

these guys are like high-schoolers playing drinking games. their mentality is on par with giggling 21 year olds. no joke, either - it's fact. X-box, partying, cool hair, and girls. they are kids playing a man's game. nylander and his clown hair, and matthews and his moustache are just the beginning. Their focus is half-on-hockey, and half-on being kids - as it should be. Can't blame them. 20 years olds need to be 20 year olds. too bad we have these talented kids under contract right now - because chances are we DON'T have them under contract 5 years down the road when it really matters - when they are MEN and ready to win.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Tavares seems to be making a habit of talking hard truths in press conferences followed up by dud after dud on the ice. I'm not a huge believer in captains but we waited 3 years for this nonsense?

look at Tavares. do you see a captain there? hell no.

I see a mega-talented player who could score 50 a year if he wanted to.

And also a physically soft, weak player who could never ever motivate a dressing room to do anything other than fall asleep.

Call it like it is. This guy is an awesome player but a captain he is not.

They shouldn't have slapped a captain label on a player who is clearly not a captain.

But they had no other choice unless they wanted to give it to a guy who pulls down his pants in public at 2AM while partying

...you see the dilemma with this team, right????

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

I’ve never cared about captains but Tavares isn’t a leader and, even if it means very little, he shouldn’t wear the C.

Reactions: Cobra777

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Respond to what? Getting embarrassed is what they were paid to do and they are nailing it. Matthew's will be gone the second his contract ends, just like that bum of a captain they found in the dumpster. Most pathetic group of players in probably the history of the game. JT can go f*** himself, his loser mentaltity has infected the entire team.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Why would they intentionally lose? Because they're all best buddies with the Zamboni driver and don't want to hurt his feelings?
No because "Emergency goalie wins in debut" is a better headline than "Leafs score 10 on Zamboni driver". If they come out for the next week or 2 playing every game like the 4-0 Pitts game, everyone's going to forgot about how they played in this game. All that will be remembered is the Emergency goalie getting his team the win. That's more important than completely embarrassing the guy.
Just look at his last game for reference 5 years ago. 11 goals against playing against who? People probably worse than most junior players.

horner

May 22, 2007
I don't what they do going forward because they will show up every 4 games .
I care more about what management does.
Sell Monday

I really hate getting embarrassed .

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I’ve never cared about captains but Tavares isn’t a leader and, even if it means very little, he shouldn’t wear the C.

they had no choice.

matthews pulls down his pants in the middle of the morning while partying. cant give it to a kid like that

so tavares is the only other option. instead of going out he reads books on friday nights, it's obvious. that's the good news.

the bad news is he's the captain and he fell for the whole "we think you have something special and we think you could be our leader out there" line of b.s.

had he stayed out of the C spotlight then he would have continued to dominate because the pressure was off

but soon as you slap a C on someone who doesn't want it then you ruined that player's chemistry and the pressure is on... and not everyone can operate properly under that kind of pressure... why put a potential 50-goal scorer under pressure that might hamper his production??? happens all the time though

Reactions: Cobra777

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
they had no choice.

matthews pulls down his pants in the middle of the morning while partying. cant give it to a kid like that

so tavares is the only other option. instead of going out he reads books on friday nights, it's obvious. that's the good news.

the bad news is he's the captain and he fell for the whole "we think you have something special and we think you could be our leader out there" line of b.s.

had he stayed out of the C spotlight then he would have continued to dominate because the pressure was off

but soon as you slap a C on someone who doesn't want it then you ruined that player's chemistry and the pressure is on... and not everyone can operate properly under that kind of pressure... wh put a potential 50-goal scorer under pressure that might hamper his production??? happens all the time though
They had Rielly, who it should have went to if they didn't want to give it to Matthews.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Hoping he'll cave and move Barrie for futures.

But really from here you'll still see the same inconsistent efforts. World beaters one period, slugs the next.
I mean I feel he almost has to move him for futures at this point, I truly hope so anyway. If he feels this team is a serious contender that would be scarily bad analysis. I expect Barrie is dealt. (please)

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
They had Rielly, who it should have went to if they didn't want to give it to Matthews.

ever seen Reilly in behind-the-scene interviews? This guy is a little older than the others but shares the same immature mentality. Take my word for it, this guy is NOT a captain either - far, far from it. But my word is worth a baby beetle's vomit, so take that as you please.

Reilly is no where close to a captain role, and it's why we have never heard anything about him being captain except for on these forums.

There is NO captain on this team. And that is that.

It's been this way for many years. Eventually one will arrive, but it' not today.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
ever seen Reilly in behind-the-scene interviews? This guy is a little older than the others but shares the same immature mentality. Take my word for it, this guy is NOT a captain either - far, far from it. But my word is worth a baby beetle's vomit, so take that as you please.

Reilly is no where close to a captain role, and it's why we have never heard anything about him being captain except for on these forums.

There is NO captain on this team. And that is that.

It's been this way for many years. Eventually one will arrive, but it' not today.
Hayes and Button discussing why Rielly should have been captain over Tavares.

edit forgot the link

Reactions: Duffman955

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
At this point, it's hard to believe they turn it around. Selfish, Entitled, mixed in with ZEEEERO accountability, doesn't really scream successful ROS to me. Not sure how its come to this but here we are. Most unlikable team I've ever seen in my decades of being a Leaf fan.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
At this point, it's hard to believe they turn it around. Selfish, Entitled, mixed in with ZEEEERO accountability, doesn't really scream successful ROS to me. Not sure how its come to this but here we are. Most unlikable team I've ever seen in my decades of being a Leaf fan.

Agree. As hard as Ive tried to root for these guys I don't think i can anymore. This whole team is a train wreck and disgrace considering the amount of talent they have.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Doesnt matter about Hayes and Button. Tavares would have kept on scoring 40 or 50 goals quietly if they had kept the C off of him.

But slap that C on him and now they screwed the whole thing up.

Its common though. The best performers can never be left alone.

Leave them alone and they'll keep performing.

But screw them around with "we think you're a leader" and it messes with their psyche and as soon as they are under the microscope their performance dips

true leaders will always lead and they don't want to wear the C

Why can't companies see this. give the C to a total goofball and the real leaders on the team will continue to dominate on the sidelines.

that's how it works in politics and corporations. our "leaders" (ie. supervisors and managers) are most often the most incompetent ones in the company. they were the ones stupid enough to fall for the "hey we think you're a leader around here" b.s. from the higher-ups. it should be this way in sports too

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Doesnt matter about Hayes and Button. Tavares would have kept on scoring 40 or 50 goals quietly if they had kept the C off of him.

But slap that C on him and now they screwed the whole thing up.

Its common though. The best performers can never be left alone.

Leave them alone and they'll keep performing.

But screw them around with "we think you're a leader" and it messes with their psyche and as soon as they are under the microscope their performance dips

true leaders will always lead and they don't want to wear the C

Why can't companies see this. give the C to a total goofball and the real leaders on the team will continue to dominate on the sidelines.

that's how it works in politics and corporations. our "leaders" (ie. supervisors and managers) are most often the most incompetent ones in the company. they were the ones stupid enough to fall for the "hey we think you're a leader around here" b.s. from the higher-ups. it should be this way in sports too

So you're saying companies should not promote leaders and the real leaders don't want to be in management positions?

I really hope you don't run a company lol

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
NOW YOU LISTEN TO ME HERE

you are weakening with each comment

you keep replying ,therefore you KEEP LOSING

do not reply, AND YOU WIN

are you understanding of that, oh young Jedi?

I think not. you might very well have a baby beetle's brain inside your skull

STOP IT. NOW.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
NOW YOU LISTEN TO ME HERE

you are weakening with each comment

you keep replying ,therefore you KEEP LOSING

do not reply, AND YOU WIN

are you understanding of that, oh young Jedi?

I think not. you might very well have a baby beetle's brain inside your skull

STOP IT. NOW.

You're so triggered. Love it!

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
The winner doesn't reply.

Who's it gonna be captain keyboard?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
These guys are going to have to win me back. It took Wendel Clark the last time and watching him sacrifice himself for this team. No coincidence it had everything do with injecting heart into this franchise. Ballard was the problem then.

Now it's players just folding under pressure. No heart.

I think these guys are young enough to change. But they are going to have to get truly pissed at losing, Look I the mirror and look in the stands at the families forking out their pay check to go watch them. If after that debacle last night, they wake up and look in the mirror with anything but disgust, it hasn't begun to turn around.

“Revolution starts at home, preferably in the bathroom mirror” Bob Mould

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Just dawned on me.........they are getting ready for another Florida trip, so of course they weren't going to focus on last night's game.

Golf and fishing and gentlemen's clubs are waiting and lord knows they deserve a reward after that great effort on Thursday.

Should have bet on that.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
This last 20 games are critical for the players. Will they ride them out, or show something? If not, big changes should be made to personnel.

The whole season is critical. It's the total number of points that gets you into the playoffs, no mention of when you got them.
The last 60 games of the season became critical, because we got rid of the bad coach.
The last 40 games of the season became critical because we kept bouncing in and out of a playoff spot.
And now the last 20 games of the season are critical.

How will the team respond??? There's probably a clue, somewhere in the teams recent history....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad