How Will The Team Respond Going Forward?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Hyman. Spezza. Kapanen
Clifford. Matthews. Timashov
Engvall. Tavares. Malgin
Nylander. Gauthier. Marner

Muzzin. Holl
Sandin. Liljegren
Dermott. Barrie

Campbell

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Hyman. Spezza. Kapanen
Engvall. Tavares. Malgin

Muzzin. Holl
Sandin. Liljegren
Dermott. Barrie

Campbell

I actually truly think Nylander, Dermott, and Marner all need to be scratched next game. 4th line demotion playing together is not sufficient. Doesn't matter if we are in a playoff race or not at this point. You can't let what happened last night slide if your expecting some of these core guys on our team moving forward, beyond this year.

Demote Holl to the 3rd pairing and call up some AHL guys.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
No, it isn't.

This team went from the worst team in the National Hockey League, last place in the standings, to a playoff team the next season. They've steadily improved in their position and play since.

Until this season - this was the year they were meant to take that next step, and they've failed woefully at almost every hurdle.

I agree with you, that there's still a lot of long term growth this team needs to undergo. But that doesn't change the fact that this season has been a colossal failure

Yeah thats what I meant with that part of the post. Collosal failure versus expectation, right? Maybe the media narrative goes from a sense of entitlement and inevitability to a more accurate reflection of what this team is and where they are in their development. For their part anyway.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Hyman. Spezza. Kapanen
Engvall. Tavares. Malgin

Muzzin. Holl
Sandin. Liljegren
Dermott. Barrie

Campbell

I'd make a few tweaks...

Trainer. SecurityGuard. Usher
Therapist. Carlton Bear. Announcer
Hot dog guy. Beer guy. Ticket guy
Janitor. Equipment guy. Ice girl.

Zamboni Driver.

That lineup looks a lot more competitive IMHO.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The Leafs psychology is a lot like race horses. Some race horses are front runners and can’t race when there are other horses in front of them, some do best by staying in the pack until the final stretch, some like to hang back and push through the whole field when the time is right.

The Leafs are front-runners. BJ Penn in MMA was similar. When they are ahead they look great, but they cannot play as well from behind.

This isn’t a huge problem except all of the top players are front runners. The team needs some diversity in psychology, they need some players who work best pushing up from the back of the field down the stretch.

Reactions: IPS and crump

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Luckily for me I am old enough to remember Yzerman and Sakic starting their careers. It took them awhile to mature and turn into complete players.

I still have hope for Marner and Mattews to become leaders.
Matthews yes. Matthews has shown some great strides this year. Playing a bit meaner, better defensively. Beginning to prove that he could be the second fiddle to McJesus. Marner......talent galore, hockey IQ is great....but a leader...NO. The whining coming out of his camp last summer from his agent and the whining the last 3 years from his daddy..."Mitchie should be captain," Mitchie should be getting more ice time" ......Boot him, his loud mouth papa and that obnoxious shite bag of an agent he has. Pick up a good tough # 3 or 4 D man, prefer a RD... and a good sized left winger to throw on with Tavares and Nylander. Play # 34 with Hymie and Soupy next year. Give him some room to strut. You will not be dissappointed.

Reactions: Erdinger

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yeah thats what I meant with that part of the post. Collosal failure versus expectation, right? Maybe the media narrative goes from a sense of entitlement and inevitability to a more accurate reflection of what this team is and where they are in their development. For their part anyway.

Yeah, that makes sense.
Thanks for clarifying your post.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well IPS, (pretending I am one of the big 3)

• All I can say is there is no "I" in Team but there is one in Ferrari , Lamborghini, Bugatti and Koenigsegg and I can't wait to get home to drive it... Hockey schmoky...
  • It's big boy time, time to put on my big boy pants, I mean I wont do it my Butler will, only common people dress themselves.
  • We are going to take this one game at a time, one shift at a time. If we try really hard I think we can play bad enough to back Florida into the playoffs.
  • When you put the puck on the net good things will happen, we let the 'Canes get 50 SOG and that nice Zamboni driver is now a star.
  • We need to get more traffic in front of the net... we heard it's supposed to help your ... goalie?
  • We are gonna give 25% in the next game ... 25% sounds high to me but heck we are pro's, we can do that for a full game... all 2 periods!
  • We played a full 60 minutes... once ... who do you think we are a super hero.. we can't do that twice in a season.

Reactions: Erdinger

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The Leafs psychology is a lot like race horses. Some race horses are front runners and can’t race when there are other horses in front of them, some do best by staying in the pack until the final stretch, some like to hang back and push through the whole field when the time is right.

The Leafs are front-runners. BJ Penn in MMA was similar. When they are ahead they look great, but they cannot play as well from behind.

This isn’t a huge problem except all of the top players are front runners. The team needs some diversity in psychology, they need some players who work best pushing up from the back of the field down the stretch.

Interesting theory, but they cough up leads with alarming frequency so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Strong effort Tuesday

Followed by folding like a dollar store tent under a brisk summer breeze until the next embarrassment

No doubt.......you could set your watch to it.

They beat the Lightning, everyone loves them again, and they crap the bed in Sunrise.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Well my good fellow poster . . . we look at their record . . . and that is

W 32 - L 23 - OTL 8

That's 32 wins and a total of 31 losses, a .500 team.

They do not have the consistency or the professionalism in them to do any better. Babcock, a top coach and career NHL hockey man, Babcock wanted them to be good pros, and they quit on him.

We should not be surprised.

:deadhorse
I believe we have the talent to win a Cup.
The core quit on Babcock.
Bad mix.
Someone has to go.
Another Coach.
I'm not a Keefe fan.
At all.
But.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
They'll probably beat Tampa 5-0, and then lose to Chicago 7-1 against a fan they pick out of the crowd at random. Because that's just the type of bullshit this team does.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The organization should be gutted. How easy it was to completely shut them down was a joke. Zero coaching happened for the Leafs at all just dominated and couldn't change anything.

Zero heart shown by the players, Matthews being benched by our incompetent coach looks terrible on both of them.

So you just want the team to start all over and give up on the future?

For who? For what?

Last edited:

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
So you just want the team to start all over and give up on the future?

For who? For what?

No that is f***ing Pejorative Slured nobody would ever say "start all over", the only way to defend the ineptitude of thecurret Leafs' management is to try to distract with idiotic arguments.

Shannahan was apparently wooed by the Dubas' talk of analytics and how he took a shit OHL team and turned it into a slightly less shit product.

Giving somebody with Kyle Dubas' qualifications control of an NHL team was idiotic and you'd expect disaster, well that is exactly what he has delivered. The team is unquestionably worse than when he took over and is coming off one of the most embarrassing losses in the history of professional athletic competition.

If you think what happened on Saturday was no big deal you have no concept at all of what professional athletics are and how ridiculous a non pro athlete filling in on short notice and winning a professional contest is.

Your grand children if they play hockey, will hear about what inept losers Sheldon Keefe and this Leafs' roster were.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Calling it now, I think we go on a tear.

No doubt, Saturday embarrassed the team to the core, 10 times the amount that Pittsburgh 1.0 was.

They know they have all the talent in the world, and now they know they have to work to get anywhere.

We're gonna roll into the playoffs hot and beat Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad