How will Sanderson's new contract influence a Seider extension?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah... He'll be the highest paid Red Wing now.

Senators and their fans thought it was a great deal. Idk, Sanderson looked good, no doubts but it's one year... They do have a solid group though now signed for a very long time over there.

I think Seider easily, and I mean easily hits a contract north of 70 million and I can't see a situation where you actually let him walk/trade him.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It goes back to that interview from a couple weeks ago. If in the back of his head he was weighing $7M x 8 vs $8.5M x 8 you have to think Claude is adding at least a mil to both figures.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I just posted this is another thread before seeing this one, so I'll copy it here:

I guess I don't see the issue. Mo shows every indication of being a player that deserves top money as he enters his prime, and Yzerman shows every indication of being a shrewd negotiator that still ultimately gets things done. (With plenty of long term cap flexibility at the moment.)

Even if Seider ends up with 8x$9M, I don't think it scuttles anything.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think McAvoy and Werenski are comparable producers at a similar age and both make 9.5 mil/yr. I think that's plenty fair and would make Seider a top 10 paid defenseman in the NHL at 23 years old.

I can see him getting the same deal Makar got. 6 years, 54 mil - 9 mil/yr

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I’ve always thought he would get somewhere between 8-9.5mill…….if we can get this cornerstone for closer to 8 it’s a steal.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I just posted this is another thread before seeing this one, so I'll copy it here:

I guess I don't see the issue. Mo shows every indication of being a player that deserves top money as he enters his prime, and Yzerman shows every indication of being a shrewd negotiator that still ultimately gets things done. (With plenty of long term cap flexibility at the moment.)

Agreed.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022

If they can get him at 9.0 or less, it's a great deal.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I'd rather lock him up at 8M - 9.5M for 8 years. If he gets a bridge deal we could be looking at north of 10 for him.

If I'm Yzerman, I walk in with a contract at Dylan Larkin's contract number. No more, no less. 8x8.7 or 8/69.

Make Dylan's contract the barometer for all of our deals because Mo took it too. It's more than Sanderson and just a shade below Makar.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Like I said in the Sanderson thread…

Signing the player after half a season at 8x8.05 will vastly favour Ottawa down the line.

In the case of Moritz, I think Yzerman should lock him up sooner than later as well before the cap goes up. People seem to forget that players AAVs often come from % of the total team cap….

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If Yzerman has the notion in his head that no one can make more than Larkin over the course of Larkin's contract, we are doomed.

I don't think that is the case however, I think Steve knows how valuable Seider is and will go over the Larkin deal to lock him up.

Don't like the bridge deal idea at all, good chance you will have to pay 10.5+ on the next deal if you do that.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I'd rather lock him up at 8M - 9.5M for 8 years. If he gets a bridge deal we could be looking at north of 10 for him.
That is probably the goal, but with his durability and if I am Seider, then I am looking for a bridge deal around 8 mil x 3-4 years. It would make a lot of sense because of what I said and if he is trying to maximize his career earnings, but it just depends on what he values more? Career earnings or security (even though he will have enough security unless he just vanishes for some reason)

Mathews comes to mind. I mean, he could get 7-8 years or whatever but in 4 years after his deal, he will get another pay bump to like 18 mil a season instead of the 13 hes at.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The way Seider answered the contract question from the German interview, I don't think he's looking at anything less than 8 years. He specifically called out the short careers and the small window to secure your future, that I don't see him as a gambler. And he himself was spitballing between $7M and $8.5M for 8 years. The AAV might shift with Sanderson, but I think Mo wants to secure that big 8 year bag.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If I'm Stevie I try to lock him up with an 8 year deal. Do your best to keep it at 9 or below by showing Mo you are going to build a competitive team around him. But ultimately if Mo wants to be paid like one of the top d-men in the league and won't budge you do that deal. He's the centerpiece, IMO.

Good news is the cap will start to raise as that deal ages, so get him signed for as long as you possibly can. The contract will almost certainly age well.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
The biggest problem Yzerman faces with waiting to sign Seider is that Mo's production is likely to improve, because the forwards have significantly improved. He could easily exceed his rookie production.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If Sanderson gets 8*8, I don't see Seider accepting for less than 10*8.

Better defensemen than Mo have recently signed in the 8.8 to 9.5 range. Mo isn't a 10 million dollar guy yet.

Totally fine with him getting 8x9 and making him the high water mark. Any higher than 9 and that's pushing it. Anything less than 8.5 is a bargain.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman will proably go with a shorter deal. Then these 8-year deals aren't really comparables.

Tough to see Sanderson anyways as a comparable, because he is so young. These deals aren't made at same point of careers.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yzerman will proably go with a shorter deal. Then these 8-year deals aren't really comparables.

Tough to see Sanderson anyways as a comparable, because he is so young. These deals aren't made at same point of careers.
They are one year apart. And both are entering the final year of their ELC.

Reactions: brentashton

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The biggest problem Yzerman faces with waiting to sign Seider is that Mo's production is likely to improve, because the forwards have significantly improved. He could easily exceed his rookie production.

Or, at same time as his ES production could go up, his PP production could go down, thanks to Gostisbehere taking the 1st PP job.

Reactions: Conbon

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4