Olympics: How will Chinese NT look in 2022?

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
Aside from roster limitations the more important question is: will they be included in the tournament. South Korea was not given a free pass unless they could meet certain standards, they failed. The federation believed that they would have to qualify their way in and then in September 2014 the IIHF changed their mind. http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...]=9122&cHash=2c97e4185e1bbeb22d592cba80b33af4 It is a myth that the host gets a free entry into the Olympics, it is up to the particular sport's governing body

How would it be fun for the koreans to play in the olympics? 0-37 against Canada would dampen my spirits at least...

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
How would it be fun for the koreans to play in the olympics? 0-37 against Canada would dampen my spirits at least...

Actually the Koreans are on the same level as some of the nations that are in the final stages of qualifications this weekend. They narrowly missed qualifying for the top level of the World Championships this last year. They open the 2018 Olympics by playing Canada and what happens if the NHL does not go? They could be reasonably competitive.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It takes 20-30 years at least to became a hockey nation.

These Chinese-Canadians/Americans/Europeans have go to play there and when they retire, stay there as building the Environment for Junior Hockey.

That's the only way to go. It has happened in many small European countries that way. When looking WHC rosters from 80's or early 90's, those former Canadians, who had double citizenship, and who played at World Championships, became hockey executives in some European Nations and started some programs there.

20 years later, we are seeing some results.

Same could happen in China. In 2022 there is no chance to get any succes, but these guys could build a program which will get some results with own Chinese players at ~2040.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
There are so many teams already filled with naturalised players...Italy, france, kazakhtan, belarus just to name a few.

I hope China would do like south Korea have done...there has been a friendly coorporation with the Danish hockey federation and the Koreans so we have played friendly tournaments against them and they have really gotten a long way in a short time and playing their own very unique system (unique at this level...no other team at the next Olympics willl play like them)

Speed, quick forecheck, general chaos, full attack.
They will surprise a few teams and be loved by us fans..I guarantee it. They are so much fun to watch

They have some naturalised players who have played in Korea for many years and they have tried to get more players in Europe..(a rich tycoon is heading the federation and bought a finNish lower division team and put 3 or 4 Koreans on it for example...utraditionel but probably good forvthem)

But most players are of own "stock" and have korean coaches.
China could copy thiso to some extent.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
I think if the Koreans look bad in 2018 China will not be included in 2022. Korea has gone from being a fringe Division I team to middle or higher. China however is not even average in Division II, and (unlike France and Italy of the late 80's and early 90's) I don't think their governing bodies would be okay with a bunch of americans and canadians competing for them.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There are so many teams already filled with naturalised players...Italy, france, kazakhtan, belarus just to name a few.

France and Italy got rid of them. And I think it's also a difference if you naturalise a player which has a heritage in that country (like Italy) or a player which has no connection to that country whatsoever.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
France and Italy got rid of them. And I think it's also a difference if you naturalise a player which has a heritage in that country (like Italy) or a player which has no connection to that country whatsoever.

True of France, Italy still uses several naturalized players, but they are not their leaders anymore. Korea's top scorer, top defenseman, and no. 1 goalie are all Canadians with no prior connection to Korea, which (to me) is not a good look for them. It will be hard for China to find quality players with a connection to their country, but perhaps the KHL team may supply several national team players for them.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
True of France, Italy still uses several naturalized players, but they are not their leaders anymore. Korea's top scorer, top defenseman, and no. 1 goalie are all Canadians with no prior connection to Korea, which (to me) is not a good look for them. It will be hard for China to find quality players with a connection to their country, but perhaps the KHL team may supply several national team players for them.

Marco Scandella's brother has played for Italy internationally for over a decade now. According to elite prospects, he's there all time leader in points for the national team. 2nd on their all time points list is another Canadian dual citizen, Pat Iannone.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
Marco Scandella's brother has played for Italy internationally for over a decade now. According to elite prospects, he's there all time leader in points for the national team. 2nd on their all time points list is another Canadian dual citizen, Pat Iannone.

giulio scandella has played since the Turino olympics for Italy, no where near their all-time best scorer (21 points in WC, 7 points in OG and qualifying) and Pat Iannone? Retired now, and didn't score much in 6 worlds. Are you finding some kind of total for national team friendlies or something?

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
back on topic, Kunlun Red Star played their first regular season game and two chinese nationals got on the ice, both for less than 4 mins. Zach Yuen (born in Vancouver but he is chinese) got on the ice for just over 5 mins. Don't know if that is considered a good sign for chinese hockey or not.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
China may not be able to participate in the hockey tournament in 2022. South Korea was just barely good enough to be able to automatically included. And they were a lot better than China years ago. And when they lose 10-0 to Canada, I bet the IIHF will probably hold China to a higher standard to be included.

Also, if Red Star Kunlun is run anything like the horror stories you hear out of the KHL, even NA-born Ringers may not want to be naturalized and play for China.

A big thing with Korea's various NA-born players is that they aren't just being paid a lot of money, but they enjoy the culture of the country and how they're treated by their teams and Hockey Federation. If China wants to recruit guys for the Olympics, but only throw money at them, they may not be able to land anyone even good enough to get to the mid-20s in the iihf rankings.(currently #37 behind Iceland, Israel and Mexico)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Jonathan Ang, Cliff Pu are the only Chinese blooded players that might play for China but they are Canadian. But the chinese goverment might offer them a huge paycheck to suit up for the Team. who knows.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
China may not be able to participate in the hockey tournament in 2022. South Korea was just barely good enough to be able to automatically included. And they were a lot better than China years ago. And when they lose 10-0 to Canada, I bet the IIHF will probably hold China to a higher standard to be included.

Also, if Red Star Kunlun is run anything like the horror stories you hear out of the KHL, even NA-born Ringers may not want to be naturalized and play for China.

A big thing with Korea's various NA-born players is that they aren't just being paid a lot of money, but they enjoy the culture of the country and how they're treated by their teams and Hockey Federation. If China wants to recruit guys for the Olympics, but only throw money at them, they may not be able to land anyone even good enough to get to the mid-20s in the iihf rankings.(currently #37 behind Iceland, Israel and Mexico)

And the thing about Korea is that they have a highly competent head coach who has experience playing in the NHL and winning the Stanley Cup. I'm not quite sure how China can match the caliber of the Korean players and coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad