Olympics: How will Chinese NT look in 2022?

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I feel they should be focused on the long haul if they want to be relatively competitive. They will most likely play similar to Korea at the Olympics since there is just too big of a talent to close within 4 years.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
And why next season?

They need to play two consecutive hockey seasons and 16 consecutive months (480 days) in a Chinese club.
4 years (1460 days) if they played for another country in IIHF competitions.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The team will be mostly low tier Canadian players who have attained Chinese papers.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I feel they should be focused on the long haul if they want to be relatively competitive. They will most likely play similar to Korea at the Olympics since there is just too big of a talent to close within 4 years.

Or worse than Korea even.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Knowing China, they will probably want to dress a full Chinese Squad to showcase the Chinese team. Won't be surprised if they approached Chinese born Canadians to the Squad, regardless of Paperwork.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Knowing China, they will probably want to dress a full Chinese Squad to showcase the Chinese team. Won't be surprised if they approached Chinese born Canadians to the Squad, regardless of Paperwork.

That's what the Korean women's ice hockey team did. There was one player from Toronto, etc.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

China is nowhere near Korea's level, nor do I think they can be in 4 years without a drastic influx of talent.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

lawrence

May 19, 2012
China is nowhere near Korea's level, nor do I think they can be in 4 years without a drastic influx of talent.

China on the IIHF ranking is much lower then Korea.

They will probably want to showcase a team of asian players rather then dressing some Caucasian players.

Andong Song will probably be on the team, not sure if the Commies will approach Jonathan Ang, and Cliff Pu.

either way I think China will be slaughtered like the Italian Womens team in 2006. Hockey is just not a thing there, 4 years of preparing won't change a thing. Tyler Fu and his bro are Asian but Vietnamese, Tyler Ho of the Vancouver Giants might be approached. who knows.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

They will probably want to showcase a team of asian players rather then dressing some Caucasian players.

Andong Song will probably be on the team, not sure if the Commies will approach Jonathan Ang, and Cliff Pu.

either way I think China will be slaughtered like the Italian Womens team in 2006. Hockey is just not a thing there, 4 years of preparing won't change a thing. Tyler Fu and his bro are Asian but Vietnamese, Tyler Ho of the Vancouver Giants might be approached. who knows.

What about Tyler Wong? I think he's with the Vegas affiliate.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well they can go the Korean way and start giving out citizenship to people who have nothing to do with China other than playing in it. And in a few years they would have a KHL-level team.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Well they can go the Korean way and start giving out citizenship to people who have nothing to do with China other than playing in it. And in a few years they would have a KHL-level team.

As for Canadian and American players who decided to play for Korea, they were enamored by their culture and society. In fact, Matt Dalton has a Korean name: Han Ra-sung.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As for Canadian and American players who decided to play for Korea, they were enamored by their culture and society. In fact, Matt Dalton has a Korean name: Han Ra-sung.
Yes, Matt Dalton went from being a well-respected KHL goalie to playing in one of the weakest pro leagues in the world out of love to the country he has, most likely, never been to before. Took their citizenship immediately as well, love from the first sight. Not because it was in his best financial interests at all. I'm really buying this reasoning.

Sure, as you go onto this kind of journey you might as well psyche yourself into enjoying it but lets not be that naive here.

P.S. What does that "having a name" fact prove, exactly? That if you have superstar Canadian playing on your NT you might as well give him the Korean name so you can market him more like one of your own?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Yes, Matt Dalton went from being a well-respected KHL goalie to playing in one of the weakest pro leagues in the world out of love to the country he has, most likely, never been to before. Took their citizenship immediately as well, love from the first sight. Not because it was in his best financial interests at all. I'm really buying this reasoning.

Sure, as you go onto this kind of journey you might as well psyche yourself into enjoying it but lets not be that naive here.

P.S. What does that "having a name" fact prove, exactly? That if you have superstar Canadian playing on your NT you might as well give him the Korean name so you can market him more like one of your own?

Korea is not weak; I think, during the Olympics, they proved themselves as the Top 15 of international hockey teams. Also, I think he chose to name himself in Korean.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Korea is not weak; I think, during the Olympics, they proved themselves as the Top 15 of international hockey teams. Also, I think he chose to name himself in Korean.
Cold hard fact is Sakhalin is one of the powerhouses of Asia League. It's predominantly made of players who played themselves out of the VHL. So Dalton, in one move, went from playing in Russian tier 1 to rough equivalent of Russian tier 3. Korea might be top-15 in hockey (which, without imports, they aren't close to) but being top-15 in the sport played in roughly 20 countries isn't all that impressive, is it?

But as I've said, since he tied himself to South Korea for 4 years at least (because the goal was obviously play in the Olympics from the day he signed the contract) why not enjoy the ride. Maybe he did choose the name itself, why not. Again, what does it prove, exactly?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Cold hard fact is Sakhalin is one of the powerhouses of Asia League. It's predominantly made of players who played themselves out of the VHL. So Dalton, in one move, went from playing in Russian tier 1 to rough equivalent of Russian tier 3. Korea might be top-15 in hockey (which, without imports, they aren't close to) but being top-15 in the sport played in roughly 20 countries isn't all that impressive, is it?

But as I've said, since he tied himself to South Korea for 4 years at least (because the goal was obviously play in the Olympics from the day he signed the contract) why not enjoy the ride. Maybe he did choose the name itself, why not. Again, what does it prove, exactly?

And...China's better? I don't think so, at this point.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And...China's better? I don't think so, at this point.
I don't think I ever said China is better because obviously at this point it isn't. I don't think it was the question at any point of this Dalton discussion.

But China has a KHL team so they can get KHL level players very, very easily as long as they are paying them money. Just like Dalton wasn't in love with Korea before he even got there. Like I said, in 4 years remaining China may easily build a KHL level NT if they want to because they have all the means for it. Which is basically money and a club at a highest possible hockey level you can afford. Check and check.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

It's a pet peeve of mine, but I hate when China is labeled as "communists." They're really not. They use Marxist-Leninism to draft a cohesive national image but it plays virtually no role in their policy.

I also don't believe that if they make the choice not to dress Caucasian players, they will also dress any people of non-Chinese descent. It's particularly offensive to Chinese people to associate them as being the same as other Asian peoples (and that's true in most East/Southeast Asian cultures), so people would likely be just as upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raymoondo

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I don't think I ever said China is better because obviously at this point it isn't. I don't think it was the question at any point of this Dalton discussion.

But China has a KHL team so they can get KHL level players very, very easily as long as they are paying them money. Just like Dalton wasn't in love with Korea before he even got there. Like I said, in 4 years remaining China may easily build a KHL level NT if they want to because they have all the means for it. Which is basically money and a club at a highest possible hockey level you can afford. Check and check.
If someone has no ties to China, the process takes longer than two years. So the only players available to China for 2022 are those born in China or those with at least one Chinese parent or grandparent.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If someone has no ties to China, the process takes longer than two years. So the only players available to China for 2022 are those born in China or those with at least one Chinese parent or grandparent.
No, it doesn't. All you need is to play in it for 480 days. I don't know there you got that "parent or grandparent" part, IIHF couldn't care less about that. Unless you mean Chinese law about acquiring citizenship in which case it doesn't really matter either as they can forgo the usual procedure as soon as having a good hockey team becomes a priority.

IIHF Eligibility

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
No, it doesn't. All you need is to play in it for 480 days. I don't know there you got that "parent or grandparent" part, IIHF couldn't care less about that. Unless you mean Chinese law about acquiring citizenship in which case it doesn't really matter either as they can forgo the usual procedure as soon as having a good hockey team becomes a priority.

IIHF Eligibility
But China does:
China searches for hockey talent outside its borders ahead of 2022 Olympics

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad