Speculation: How we fit under the cap in 21-22

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I have a feeling all this will change because of Covid-19. Who would of thought that a pandemic in this day and age would force the world into a partial shutdown.

So you think the economic crisis will increase the salary cap? Is that your new argument?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I have a feeling all this will change because of Covid-19. Who would of thought that a pandemic in this day and age would force the world into a partial shutdown.

This was put in place in July of this season knowing that pandemic would play a part.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
So you think the economic crisis will increase the salary cap? Is that your new argument?
My argument is that teams are cap stricken and many will likely be unable to move contracts around or sign younger players. Many UFAs will sign for cheap next year if this continues. So do you believe the cap will go down? I don't think so. There aren't many teams out there that have lots of cap space: Ottawa and Detroit are just amongst the few.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
My argument is that teams are cap stricken and many will likely be unable to move contracts around or sign younger players. Many UFAs will sign for cheap next year if this continues. So do you believe the cap will go down? I don't think so. There aren't many teams out there that have lots of cap space: Ottawa and Detroit are just amongst the few.

Your argument is based on wishful thinking.

I didn’t say the cap will go down, so why are you suggesting that.

You keep saying the cap will go up, but you have no cogent argument supporting that. New CBA, terrible economy, revenues decimated, and you argue for a salary cap increase.

The fact that you y repeatedly pointed to Seattle as a factor shows you aren’t basing your argument in reality.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Your argument is based on wishful thinking.

I didn’t say the cap will go down, so why are you suggesting that.

You keep saying the cap will go up, but you have no cogent argument supporting that. New CBA, terrible economy, revenues decimated, and you argue for a salary cap increase.

The fact that you y repeatedly pointed to Seattle as a factor shows you aren’t basing your argument in reality.

My argument is simple, most teams are cap stricken, unable to sign younger players because they overpaid for older players. In order to meet the cap limit, many teams will have to make tough decisions. Many GMs will force owners' hands. It will be up to them to decide if they sacrifice players or accept to cut losses and incresse the cap. Now, letting go of players is not easy because apart from maybe 5 clubs, not many have cap space. Buyouts? Doesn't really help capwise. UFAs will sign for cheap, so maybe this was a good thing afterall.

The Seattle expansion will bring cap relief for some teams while others will have some extra capspace as many RFAs need to be signed. A few teams gain space because they have many UFAs to resign like Montréal.

You can call it wishful thinking but this is facts that no one can deny. Nobody expected that this pandemic would last longer, so whatever was put in place last June will be revised.

As for the economy, it is a temporary situation caused by the pandemic. Highly doubt, revenus are decimated because many of these owners are getting richer and the working class poorer as per statistics. Don't worry about these owners.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
My argument is simple, most teams are cap stricken, unable to sign younger players because they overpaid for older players. In order to meet the cap limit, many teams will have to make tough decisions. Many GMs will force owners' hands. It will be up to them to decide if they sacrifice players or accept to cut losses and incresse the cap. Now, letting go of players is not easy because apart from maybe 5 clubs, not many have cap space. Buyouts? Doesn't really help capwise. UFAs will sign for cheap, so maybe this was a good thing afterall.

The Seattle expansion will bring cap relief for some teams while others will have some extra capspace as many RFAs need to be signed. A few teams gain space because they have many UFAs to resign like Montréal.

You can call it wishful thinking but this is facts that no one can deny. Nobody expected that this pandemic would last longer, so whatever was put in place last June will be revised.

As for the economy, it is a temporary situation caused by the pandemic. Highly doubt, revenus are decimated because many of these owners are getting richer and the working class poorer as per statistics. Don't worry about these owners.

Some GM’s have already stated that they believe the cap will remain relatively flat for the next few seasons. They are aware of the future.

I’m also sure the smart people of hockey knew global economics could be bad for awhile when negotiating and agreeing to the CBA in July. They knew the cap would be flat then for quite some time and teams would have to adjust. They aren’t going to get relief cause some teams are up against the cap.

Increasing the cap also would effect escrow and the amount of escrow needed to be repaid in subsequent years based off the 50/50 split in HRR.

This reporter even stated that:

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Some GM’s have already stated that they believe the cap will remain relatively flat for the next few seasons. They are aware of the future.

I’m also sure the smart people of hockey knew global economics could be bad for awhile when negotiating and agreeing to the CBA in July. They knew the cap would be flat then for quite some time and teams would have to adjust. They aren’t going to get relief cause some teams are up against the cap.

Increasing the cap also would effect escrow and the amount of escrow needed to be repaid in subsequent years based off the 50/50 split in HRR.

This reporter even stated that:

I believe this won't be an easy process as everyone makes it out to be. Time will tell.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

Where did I say I was worried about owners? I didn’t, so take off your high hat and drop the lecture.

You may think your argument is “simple” (be careful with that word, because your argument is simple but not how you mean it) but that doesn’t make it logical or reasoned.

You are arguing that GMs will drive the owners and PA to revisit the newly settled CBA, and you think that is simple? That’s the tail wagging the dog.

Go to your boss when Business is on the skids, revenues are declining and ask him or her to spend more on staff to make your life easier.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Would it be okay if we play the 20-21 season, get through a trade deadline, an expansion draft and see which of our prospects can make the jump (hoping Phoeling and Caufield) BEFORE we start figuring out who stays and who goes??

Geez some of you really need to get another hobby or play more XBOX...lol

I can't wait to see this current version to hit the ice and in the playoffs.

Reactions: 417

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Where did I say I was worried about owners? I didn’t, so take off your high hat and drop the lecture.

You may think your argument is “simple” (be careful with that word, because your argument is simple but not how you mean it) but that doesn’t make it logical or reasoned.

You are arguing that GMs will drive the owners and PA to revisit the newly settled CBA, and you think that is simple? That’s the tail wagging the dog.

Go to your boss when Business is on the skids, revenues are declining and ask him or her to spend more on staff to make your life easier.
Right, why do I sense you just want to start an argument? If you don't agree with me, you stop and get on with it. This is what logical people do. Have a nice day.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Right, why do I sense you just want to start an argument? If you don't agree with me, you stop and get on with it. This is what logical people do. Have a nice day.

I don’t have any insight into what you sense, so no need for rhetoric as if I have somehow done you wrong.

You’ve made a series of wholly unsubstantiated posts about the salary cap. In these posts you have ignored the inputs of the salary cap, the fact that the CBA was extended in the last six months, the categorization if expansion fees and the economic reality facing the league today. You have also, at least twice, completely misrepresented what I have said in order to shift the goal posts of what you are saying.

Now you accuse me of lacking logic? Nicely played. Maybe you would see it as a discussion and not an argument if you used facts and reason. But keep telling everyone that GMs will get owners to spend more money and reopen the CBA in an historically uncertain economy. Because priority one for the owners is to spend more real money on salary.

I hope that if you truly consider this an argument, you accept that you lost it about 6 posts ago.

Why do you implore me to “get on with it” instead of doing so yourself?

I will move on, because the points you are attempting to make are laughable, and you have shown a consistent and predictable unwillingness to even introduce fact into your assertions.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I don’t have any insight into what you sense, so no need for rhetoric as if I have somehow done you wrong.

You’ve made a series of wholly unsubstantiated posts about the salary cap. In these posts you have ignored the inputs of the salary cap, the fact that the CBA was extended in the last six months, the categorization if expansion fees and the economic reality facing the league today. You have also, at least twice, completely misrepresented what I have said in order to shift the goal posts of what you are saying.

Now you accuse me of lacking logic? Nicely played. Maybe you would see it as a discussion and not an argument if you used facts and reason. But keep telling everyone that GMs will get owners to spend more money and reopen the CBA in an historically uncertain economy. Because priority one for the owners is to spend more real money on salary.

I hope that if you truly consider this an argument, you accept that you lost it about 6 posts ago.

Why do you implore me to “get on with it” instead of doing so yourself?

I will move on, because the points you are attempting to make are laughable, and you have shown a consistent and predictable unwillingness to even introduce fact into your assertions.
What don't you understand? Are you trying to prove you are better than everyone else that posts here? Seems to me you are trying to start an argument and I have no interest to discuss with someone who finds my point of view laughable. It doesn't mean that you need to continue debating with me if you find me ridiculous, you can save your arguments for the next elections to challenge some politician. Just saying. I also admire you for going to such great extents to prove me wrong. Keep it up, don't forget about your day job though. I concede. Are you happy now with your new found fame on HFBoards? Please go debate with someone else that actually cares. Thank you for your insight.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Well...if players are signing for cheap, doesn't that mean teams will be able to retain their guys more so than we believed?
If a player wants to stick around next season, he won't have much of a choice but to accept less salary. The whole point of going to free agency was to ''hit the jackpot'' sorta speak. If players aren't getting that anymore, the incentive to walk free just isn't there anymore.

Bettman also mentioned that they expect to have partial fan attendance next season, they're relying on that to sustain their cap. If things worsen and they have to go back to no fans, it's going to be terrible for them.

Forbes estimated in 17-18 that 75% of the NHL revenue came from ticket and gameday related sales (concessions, merchandise, etc). So if they can't get fans back in soon, it's going to hurt big time.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Danault will have to accept in the 5 mill range or he's gone - and good luck getting more than that on the UFA market next summer. Tatar? gone. I think Bergevin might be able to get something young or maybe high picks if he has a good season. And no, I don't believe caufield will be ready for at least two more years minimum

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Well...if players are signing for cheap, doesn't that mean teams will be able to retain their guys more so than we believed?
If a player wants to stick around next season, he won't have much of a choice but to accept less salary. The whole point of going to free agency was to ''hit the jackpot'' sorta speak. If players aren't getting that anymore, the incentive to walk free just isn't there anymore.

Bettman also mentioned that they expect to have partial fan attendance next season, they're relying on that to sustain their cap. If things worsen and they have to go back to no fans, it's going to be terrible for them.

Forbes estimated in 17-18 that 75% of the NHL revenue came from ticket and gameday related sales (concessions, merchandise, etc). So if they can't get fans back in soon, it's going to hurt big time.

Not necessarily a team like Montréal has 5 important players to sign next year and they won't sign for peanuts.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not necessarily a team like Montréal has 5 important players to sign next year and they won't sign for peanuts.

Bergevin already said it himself, if some players want to stay in Montreal, they will have to make concessions. It'll be the same league wide. Otherwise you can do like Taylor Hall and go sign with a bottom team just to get your higher salary.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Weber is only owed about $5MM total in his last 4 years, if he doesn’t retire he will easily be moveable for a cheap team wanting to reach the floor.
no team is struggling to hit the cap floor sadly. It is not a thing anymore.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The CBA extension called for players to receive 72% or so of revenue in the upcoming season. While that may have meant despite a season without fans, it likely didn't mean a shortened season (with a prorated TV payout) without fans.

I suspect that, while it will be difficult and go down to the wire, player salaries will be pro-rated based on the amount of games played. If, as is being floated about, the teams play between 50 and 60 games, players will be guaranteed between 44% and 53% of their listed salaries.

Dont see it working otherwise and teams all staying financially sound in the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad