How to watch the Kings on TV this season

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Thank you for your efforts, Jesse!

That link does work in terms of opening it in Pocket Casts, and it allows you to subscribe to the podcast, but it contains a single (!) episode from way back in May 2021. That episode can also be downloaded and listened to normally, but there's simply nothing else in there – from 2022 or 2021 or any other year.

And the podcast still does not come up in search results.

It almost seems like there may be two separate accounts for LA Kings Insider Audio, but the old account is perhaps blocking the new one from showing up properly? :huh:

I remember that even Anderson Cooper's CNN podcast used to struggle with this sort of thing: for a stretch of time, there were a couple of them, named identically, and (of course!) new episodes failed to appear in one of the channels, creating the impression that the podcast channel was dead and no longer updated. Seems similar to what's happening with the LA Kings Insider Audio channel right now.
well dang it

I'll look into it again

• Love
Reactions: Faterson

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
Here's another trick. When selecting an out-of-market location, if it has an NHL team and you attempt to watch that stream and it says it is blacked out, then it is going to work for the Kings.

For example today I selected New York. So today's Rangers game showed as blacked out to me. I move over to the Kings and Stars streams and can watch either.

Genuinely appreciate all your guidance in this thread. Our "switchover" isn't taking place for a few weeks yet, but if anyone else does care, I'll apprise with my findings then...

Reactions: cyclones22

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I've been having major issues with ESPN+ and Nord lately, it either takes me forever to get a good location or I can't get it to work at all. I decide to go cyclones22 route and bought a Chromecast with Google TV since it is on sale at the moment. If I still have issues, then I'll just return it. Worth a shot, though.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Genuinely appreciate all your guidance in this thread. Our "switchover" isn't taking place for a few weeks yet, but if anyone else does care, I'll apprise with my findings then...
I wish you good luck. My info isn't really to encourage - I'd hate to recommend someone buy/subscribe to certain services and then it be a massive failure for them - or even to discourage, but to just show that it's possible and this is how I do it.

I've been having major issues with ESPN+ and Nord lately, it either takes me forever to get a good location or I can't get it to work at all. I decide to go cyclones22 route and bought a Chromecast with Google TV since it is on sale at the moment. If I still have issues, then I'll just return it. Worth a shot, though.
What device were you using for ESPN and Nord?

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
What device were you using for ESPN and Nord?
I've tried with an iPad, Android phone, Windows PC and Android TV built into my Sony TV. The TV UI is painfully slow, so I only tried that a couple of times. I think most of my issues probably come from location information not being cleared out before connecting/reconnecting. I've actually had most luck connecting with my iPad, but then I get issues if I try to cast or mirror it to the TV or Roku. Same issue with my phone as well. I'm usually pretty tech-savvy, but this is giving me headaches.

I think the Chromecast could be good for me since I'd only use it for streaming stuff that needs a VPN. Bought the 4K one for $40, but like I said I can return it if I still can't get it to work. If it does, then cool. As an added bonus, I can use it when I travel.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I've tried with an iPad, Android phone, Windows PC and Android TV built into my Sony TV. The TV UI is painfully slow, so I only tried that a couple of times. I think most of my issues probably come from location information not being cleared out before connecting/reconnecting. I've actually had most luck connecting with my iPad, but then I get issues if I try to cast or mirror it to the TV or Roku. Same issue with my phone as well. I'm usually pretty tech-savvy, but this is giving me headaches.

I think the Chromecast could be good for me since I'd only use it for streaming stuff that needs a VPN. Bought the 4K one for $40, but like I said I can return it if I still can't get it to work. If it does, then cool. As an added bonus, I can use it when I travel.

Right, casting to a TV using your iPad for example is going to have issues because VPN essentially removes your device (iPad) from your home network. As your iPad IP address changes, it will not see your TV to be able to deliver the stream to because it's no longer on the same network gateway even though both devices are connected to the same router/network switch.

When I travel, I always bring my streaming device so that I can watch my services on a hotel TV by just plugging it into an HDMi port etc. That's when I figured it would be easier to use for this use case because I could watch YouTube TV SoCal network channels when I was in another state. Location data was easy to manipulate.

A bit of advice when you install ESPN on your Chromecast. By default, it will not turn on location services after installation. Make sure you to go the app permissions to turn it on but do it after you've already connected to an out of market VPN location. If you neglect to turn on your location services on the app, you're going to receive a video playback error of some sort. Every time you clear all data on the app, you must update location permissions. But that does not happen if you only clear cache. I typically only clear cache from time to time.

FYI this is what I'm using:

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Right, casting to a TV using your iPad for example is going to have issues because VPN essentially removes your device (iPad) from your home network. As your iPad IP address changes, it will not see your TV to be able to deliver the stream to because it's no longer on the same network gateway even though both devices are connected to the same router/network switch.

When I travel, I always bring my streaming device so that I can watch my services on a hotel TV by just plugging it into an HDMi port etc. That's when I figured it would be easier to use for this use case because I could watch YouTube TV SoCal network channels when I was in another state. Location data was easy to manipulate.

A bit of advice when you install ESPN on your Chromecast. By default, it will not turn on location services after installation. Make sure you to go the app permissions to turn it on but do it after you've already connected to an out of market VPN location. If you neglect to turn on your location services on the app, you're going to receive a video playback error of some sort. Every time you clear all data on the app, you must update location permissions. But that does not happen if you only clear cache. I typically only clear cache from time to time.

FYI this is what I'm using:

Thanks for the tips. I bought the same device, but the 4K model.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
I take it that ESPN plus does not exist in Europe? It's too bad because it's a pretty good app. You have the ability when selecting a stream that's already started to join the stream in progress or to join a stream from the beginning. For both teams feeds.
How do you do this on ESPN?

might be different because I'm in Australia, but I can never find the option to start from beginning, We don't even get live rewind or a volume control on PC.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
How do you do this on ESPN?

might be different because I'm in Australia, but I can never find the option to start from beginning, We don't even get live rewind or a volume control on PC.

Nothing special needs to be done. It just shows up as an option. I think you're right that streaming options in other countries like ESPN Australia are not as robust as the USA app/site.

In the screenshot attached, during a live broadcast there will be 4 options. Join from start for each home/away stream and in progress for each.

Attachments

• IMG_20221103_161424__01.jpg
    IMG_20221103_161424__01.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Nothing special needs to be done. It just shows up as an option. I think you're right that streaming options in other countries like ESPN Australia are not as robust as the USA app/site.

In the screenshot attached, during a live broadcast there will be 4 options. Join from start for each home/away stream and in progress for each.
Thanks, that is hugely different to the ESPN product we get here.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Well, I got the Chromecast and installed ESPN and Nord. I followed your instructions and I could not get it to work. Tried deleting the cache, deleting data so I had to log in again, toggling location services in the app permissions and I was still getting the blackout screen. I was ready to admit defeat, but then I tried changing the VPN protocol. It was on recommended, which I assume is Nordlynx. I switched it over to OpenVPN (UDP) and it worked! Maybe the protocol thing has been the issue all along. Maybe I'll try switching it on my other devices and see how they connect with it changed.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Well, I got the Chromecast and installed ESPN and Nord. I followed your instructions and I could not get it to work. Tried deleting the cache, deleting data so I had to log in again, toggling location services in the app permissions and I was still getting the blackout screen. I was ready to admit defeat, but then I tried changing the VPN protocol. It was on recommended, which I assume is Nordlynx. I switched it over to OpenVPN (UDP) and it worked! Maybe the protocol thing has been the issue all along. Maybe I'll try switching it on my other devices and see how they connect with it changed.

Good for you! I'm going to have to check to see what I have for that particular setting as at this point I don't change anything in NordVPN other than the location. The important thing is that you actually got it to work. There are going to be days where it's a pain in the ass and there's going to be days when it works in like 3 minutes. But it does work. You're tolerance for getting it to work is key.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I was using "recommended" previously, but switched to UDP and got Buffalo to work quickly after failing with Atlanta. 3 minutes.

Just a quick tip when you use Nord, is go to search and just enter an "A" as a search parameter. That way it will show every city. And you can just jump back to the app and scroll right until you find one so that works.

Last edited:
Reactions: shuchukfan

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I was having trouble, so I switched again to a different protocol (TCP?) and connected to Dallas right away. Watching the pregame right now.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I was using "recommended" previously, but switched to UDP and got Buffalo to work quickly after failing with Atlanta. 3 minutes.

Just a quick tip when you use Nord, is go to search and just enter an "A" as a search parameter. That way it will show every city. And you can just jump back to the app and scroll right until you find one so that works.
Game changer if I can do this in three minutes.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Game changer if I can do this in three minutes.

It rarely takes me more than 5 to 10 minutes at most. That only cuts into pregame show time. Anyway, I don't try to encourage others to jump into this because I don't want any blame if folks spend money, and it fails for them. Just sharing what my experience has been and what I use for the process.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It rarely takes me more than 5 to 10 minutes at most. That only cuts into pregame show time. Anyway, I don't try to encourage others to jump into this because I don't want any blame if folks spend money, and it fails for them. Just sharing what my experience has been and what I use for the process.
It is slow on the Fire Stick with the jumping back and forth between the apps. I'll have to give it a shot on my Chromecast instead.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I haven't tried to use a fire stick in quite some time because I find it to be the worst of all the streaming hardware. Maybe it's improved and it is a better experience now, but it's just not for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad