How to watch the Kings on TV this season

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
It is slow on the Fire Stick with the jumping back and forth between the apps. I'll have to give it a shot on my Chromecast instead.
From my limited testing this weekend with my new Chromecast, it wasn't too bad switching between the apps to see if I got around the blackout. I never felt it was taking too long. The Google TV built into my 2018 Sony, though, was painfully slow.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
From my limited testing this weekend with my new Chromecast, it wasn't too bad switching between the apps to see if I got around the blackout. I never felt it was taking too long. The Google TV built into my 2018 Sony, though, was painfully slow.
Yeah...the Fire Stick is probably like three minutes at peak efficiency. When you are on your fifth city, it is like f*** this shit...I'll just watch the highlights.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yeah...the Fire Stick is probably like three minutes at peak efficiency. When you are on your fifth city, it is like f*** this shit...I'll just watch the highlights.

The Chromecast has a better operating system. It's not much different than an Android phone OS. So it's pretty speedy especially compared to a fire stick. Also using the home button removes some button presses from the equation navigating between apps.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
It is slow on the Fire Stick with the jumping back and forth between the apps. I'll have to give it a shot on my Chromecast instead.
I don't use VPN, but on the Chromecast I've had problems casting the games, rewinding to the beginning, buffering, etc since the NHL.tv days. I changed to Fire Stick last year so I'm not sure if that's still an issue with Chromcast especially with the start game from the beginning function now added but FYI.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don't use VPN, but on the Chromecast I've had problems casting the games, rewinding to the beginning, buffering, etc since the NHL.tv days. I changed to Fire Stick last year so I'm not sure if that's still an issue with Chromcast especially with the start game from the beginning function now added but FYI.
Got it. I wouldn't be casting though...the Chromecast 4k has the ESPN app built in, I believe.

It was so nice being able to just watch the game on ESPN + last night without having to be a hacker.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So quick question, if you can't watch it live, can you stream it later? On ESPN+ and/or Hulu, I mean

Have my own games tonight and wont' be home till 1030-11ish

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
So quick question, if you can't watch it live, can you stream it later? On ESPN+ and/or Hulu, I mean

Have my own games tonight and wont' be home till 1030-11ish

Yes you can watch probably the last two games of the Kings or any team on demand.

Hack even with games in progress you can select the start from the beginning stream or in progress stream.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
@Faterson you probably have already done this, but have you looked into using a USA billing address to subscribe to ESPN+ and using VPN and selecting a USA location?

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
@cyclones22: Nah, I have to live and die with NHL.tv as it is. It's a mixed bag currently, but much better than in mid-October. Yesterday's ESPN+ broadcast via NHL.tv went fine – I believe it was shown in its entirety, including pregame (just a few minutes, though, I think, it was with Barry Melrose – unlike the full half-hour on BSW), intermission and post-game. The "Commercial Break in Progress" screen is a lot more professional in ESPN broadcasts, because it's a dynamic screen (as on NHL.tv in previous seasons), not a static screen that makes you wonder whether the stream is frozen. There is no cutting-off ESPN announcers mid-sentence; in fact, quite the opposite: before returning from an ESPN commercial break, the screen goes completely dark for half a second or so, so instead of worrying whether the stream is frozen, you briefly worry whether your TV set is dead. :skeptic: On the whole, though, it's tolerable.

The main problem with Bally Sports West broadcasts via NHL.tv is that this season, there is zero pregame, whereas in previous seasons, the full half-hour used to be shown. I hear that for other Bally Sports channels, NHL.tv does show the half-hour pregame show, so it makes me all the more angry that for BSW for some reason, they don't do that. :madfire: At least all the BSW ads are now shown in full, so no more cutting off Jim & Alex mid-sentence when going to commercial breaks. Full intermission programming is now shown as well, and most or all of the post-game, too. You can see that there's currently absolutely no system behind it at NHL.tv – on any given night, you can't rely on what exactly you'll be getting via NHL.tv. :rolleyes:

There is still no "Watch game from the start" button when you join a game in progress (as I often do, because the regular puckdrop time for Kings home games is at 4:30 in the morning for us: breakfast TV), but unlike in mid-October, it's now possible to scroll to the start of the stream manually, dodging spoilers as much as you can.

For picture quality, my "TV PC" (Windows) connected (via HDMI cable) to the TV set used to provide the best results in the first few weeks of the season, but for the last couple of games, I've had best results launching the stream on the iPad NHL.tv app and streaming it wirelessly, via AirPlay, to the same TV set. Go figure.

Reactions: cyclones22

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Bummer. Hopefully they just don't ignore the issues for the entirety of the season. They should always be working on improving the experience. As a software developer we would constantly be looking at feedback and try and implement improvements.

I mentioned the whole VPN and billing address thing because that's how some Americans get the NBA season pass for example for cheaper. They will sign up for the international version and use a billing address overseas and couple it with a form of payment that isn't recurring.

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
It's too late. This game is giving me glaucoma.

Yeah, really! Tonight was my first go at it, and I'm "thrilled" to report that it worked:

(1) Express VPN
(2) Sling TV (Blue + Extras)
(3) Disney+ (Disney/Hulu ads-version/ESPN+ Bundle)
(4) Windows 10 Pro PC (circa 2017 or so)

First try: 'New Jersey 3,' Calgary-feed - bingo bango. The euphoria lasted until Sportsnet Canada showed the score. Gotta' say, I don't miss Alex Faust, so there's that...

(Seriously, though, cyclones: Appreciate your help with all of this! Our family was going to get the Disney+ bundle no matter what, and I strongly wanted a VPN anyway - so we figured we'd had enough of DirectTV gouging us, and go this route. Now all we have to do is upgrade our fiber connection!)

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Took me a few tries last night, but Kansas City worked. Unfortunately, that one was pretty slow for some reason, so I had a lot of buffering when skipping ahead (I started watching the game from the beginning about 90 minutes after it started). Wasn't horrible enough for me to look for a faster connection that worked, though.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Feels like a change is coming.

Sorry. I just had to get that out of my head. I reach for the mute button during every commercial break now. Such an annoying song.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad