How To Get The ACC Jumping Again

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
That's exactly the point, though. I don't care what OTHER fan bases do.

As a Liverpool fan, it's been a pretty dreadful few years, but that hasn't quieted Anfield; not one bit. There isn't a louder, more supportive group of fans I've heard, and they have had next to nothing to cheer about since 2005.

They have consistently been on the top half of the table in arguably the best league in the world, have won an FA cup and league cup in those "dreadful" years. In the 5 years prior to those "dreadful" years have won the biggest club football competition in the world in dramatic fashion, 2 more league cups, another FA cup and a UEFA cup.

The leafs have been the worst team in hockey over a 7 year span, haven't won a thing in generations and are the laughing stock of the NHL, the punchline to jokes.

Even though you think they haven't had much to cheer about, LFC supporters have had infinitely more to cheer about than us leaf fans.

During close games, the atmosphere is there, during blowouts and poor performances, its quiet, just like most arenas.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
:handclap: This guy gets it.

Girl...but thanks :)

See, I've never understood booing or mocking the opposition. To me, if I was an opposing player and the fans mocked or booed me, I'd just eat it up. It would be inspiring -- the equivalent of my home fans cheering for me. It would be saying you're important.

Not everyone has that mentality though. When the ACC jeers Miller, he doesn't regain his form. There hasn't been a game the ACC has jeered Miller that the Leafs haven't won. For some people, it gets them off their game - for others it might have the opposite affect, but then you know not to do it anymore :laugh:

I can see what you're saying though. Before, I used to say that I would prefer to cheer my team than boo the other team (and that will always be my first preference)but honestly, chants for the Leafs are so unimaginative and from my experience, it seems easier to rile up the fans to react against the opposition than it is to activite a loud building of 'Go Leafs Go' chants.

wetcardboard

Oct 29, 2011
Edmonton
The ACC is a great place when the game is close and the Leafs are actually going somewhere...the Leafs have been abysmal for years, what the hell do you expect?

Also having the most Pejorative Slured goal song in the league doesn't help either.

Pointless thread is pointless.

I was fortunate enough to attend the game against Buffalo on March 29th, 2011 when we were still in the hunt and had the rally towels out, it was awesome.

Exactly a year later I attended another game against Buffalo and the atmosphere was still great even though the Leafs blew a tire and had no chance of making the playoffs. In my experience, if anything the fans are too generous to this garbage team. Also just because someone's wearing a suit, doesn't mean they don't want to be there. Give the fans a reason to get excited, it will become contagious throughout the whole arena, and the plats/golds will be just as loud as the purples again.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I don't know.

I guess the idea that you support your team, loud and proud, isn't universal. I support my team because I love my team. They're a part of who I am, and a big part of how I grew up. Being a fan of a club/team meant something, and to support them through the good and the bad meant something as well.

When a team is down, they need the support the most. I can't imagine anyone is inspired by being abandoned by their supporters, just because they're not winning. If anything, the fans should get louder, cheer harder, and urge their team on.

Idealism...

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Home opener crowd was pathetic.

How do you improve atmosphere at home?

Simple. Win.

Give fans a winning team, and the fans will get behind it.

Right now fans are skeptical about getting behind a team that has let everyone down so many times the past decade (or more). There was a massive "here we go again" feel about the Sabres game.

Win and the fans will cheer.

Cart before horse - win and the fans will cheer, not the other way around.

No... it is the other way around...

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
The Maple Leafs home opener was this past Monday and MLSE said "This game is on us". They gave away 1,000 free tickets to those die hard fans that really wanted them. They told their season ticket holders that the first game would be free. Now, I was expecting the place to be BOOMING all game. Loud on rushes, chants of Go Leafs Go, noise, anything. But I got the opposite, it was quiet, dead, and the atmosphere seemed to be missing. Granted, I watched it from home on TV, so maybe it was worse than it was. But when you watched the Habs home opener this past weekend, that place was CRAZY.

Now, a couple of reasons why the place wasn't crazy are the following:

1) Season ticket holders are all corporate.
2) Leafs had not put a team on the ice worth cheering for.
3) Leafs did not give them a reason to cheer until the last couple of minutes.

So what realistic ideas do you have that can change this around? And I say realistic because, taking away the season ticket holders tickets and giving them to fans that care is not realistic from a business point of view.

Should they do more shirt tosses? Better in between game segments? Better Music? Cheaper Beer on weeknight games? Better Promotional Days?

Another idea is to take over one section of the arena at a time. You have to figure this isn't going to happen overnight. Lets say make section 120, the "loud" section, much like the TFC Supporter section. Always standing, always cheering on rushes, chanting "Defence", heckling the opposing goaltender, etc. Hopefully that will translate into sections 121 and 119 getting loud throughout the game too.

I am sick and tired of hearing how excited players like John Tavares, Tyler Seguin, Steven Stamkos all have family visiting them and watching. Lets turn this arena back into our building. Where the noise is deafening and where the Leafs want to score to hear their fans go CRAZY. Lets be the 7th man on the ice for them. Lets be a city where free agents or top talent will want to come to because we SUPPORT our team instead of analyzing every little mistake that they do.

I really want to get this place on the same noise level as Winnipeg, Montreal, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Vancouver.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

I always thought it would be a good idea to have one section dedicated to a Maple Leaf Fan Club membership like they do in European soccer. It could be a source of even more revenue for MLSE charge 100$ a year to be a member, first come first serve to buying tickets in this section available on line to members only, give some benefits to members such as discounts etc... I guaranty if such a thing is done the ACC will no longer be a morg... Good place for it behind the oppositions net for 2 of the 3 periods.;)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I always thought it would be a good idea to have one section dedicated to a Maple Leaf Fan Club membership like they do in European soccer. It could be a source of even more revenue for MLSE charge 100$ a year to be a member, first come first serve to buying tickets in this section available on line to members only, give some benefits to members such as discounts etc... I guaranty if such a thing is done the ACC will no longer be a morg... Good place for it behind the oppositions net for 2 of the 3 periods.;)

I like this idea. Like a student section at a college football game. Bring that rowdy.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I like this idea. Like a student section at a college football game. Bring that rowdy.

There's this misconception about European soccer where the atmosphere comes from. The whole stadium doesn't bring the atmosphere it's the section where the fan clubs are located who generate it, start the chants etc... They're organized as well often times it's one or two people who decide as the game go's a long what song to sing and it really does get the rest of the stadium into the game depending how the team is playing of course. It's also where you find the hooligans though;)

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
The ACC sucks, it's such a corporate experience between the music and the between-play stuff that there's no atmosphere.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
What we need people is: A showboat!

I was at the game when Yakupov nailed that beauty and gave that kick *** goal celebration and people went berserk. Fans everywhere were cheering and did not leave their seats for atleast 25 minutes after the game. The amount of excitement it brought to a fan base that is so used to dissappointment is exactly what they needed. Hopefully Kadri will do some awesome goal celebration and lighten up the ACC the way Sundin and Cujo used too.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
^^
I truly believe Kadri has that 'it' factor that can take over a building.

The problem is that I have seen so many fans expect Naz to deke out the whole team when he gets the puck. I was at a game last January against Tampa, and every time Naz got the puck in the neutral zone this guy next to me was like "Common Naz f***ing do something now".

Finally Kadri got a break and did that exact same move he pulled yesterday going outside-inside, and similarly he put the puck low and almost scored and the guy was like "Should have buried"

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
^^
I truly believe Kadri has that 'it' factor that can take over a building.

The problem is that I have seen so many fans expect Naz to deke out the whole team when he gets the puck. I was at a game last January against Tampa, and every time Naz got the puck in the neutral zone this guy next to me was like "Common Naz f***ing do something now".

Finally Kadri got a break and did that exact same move he pulled yesterday going outside-inside, and similarly he put the puck low and almost scored and the guy was like "Should have buried"

You always get that. One thing with living in Toronto is before you go to the ACC you can feel the atmosphere of leaf pride all around. Truly makes us a mecca of hockey but the ACC is so full of suits and people who really don't understand the beauty of the game that all that atmosphere just dwindles away when you step into that god forsaken arena. I still have so much faith in Kadri to be that awesome guy who bursts half way across ice and shoots the arrow and drives the crowd bonkers. Days like this I wish I could play hockey again :laugh::(:puppy:

MilanKraft*

These threads always boil down to people being jealous/envious of the successful business men who get access to the platinum seats.

Deal with it. Better yourself.

99% of the kids on here won't be successful business men....

That's like telling the Leafs to better themselves....:laugh:
Better chance to win the lottery.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The only way to get the ACC jumping is for the team to convince fans that anything less than a two goal lead means a loss is likely.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They have consistently been on the top half of the table in arguably the best league in the world, have won an FA cup and league cup in those "dreadful" years. In the 5 years prior to those "dreadful" years have won the biggest club football competition in the world in dramatic fashion, 2 more league cups, another FA cup and a UEFA cup.

The leafs have been the worst team in hockey over a 7 year span, haven't won a thing in generations and are the laughing stock of the NHL, the punchline to jokes.

Even though you think they haven't had much to cheer about, LFC supporters have had infinitely more to cheer about than us leaf fans.

During close games, the atmosphere is there, during blowouts and poor performances, its quiet, just like most arenas.

How many LFC matches have you gone to?

I assure you, as a Man United fan, I've probably been to more than you (which is disgusting).

One thing I will say, is that their away support is amongst the best in Europe. Similar to what the Leafs fans do away from home.

While their home support has mellowed out, when the team needs them, they are brilliant.

And to say that they've been more successful than the Leafs needs to be taken into context - LFC fans have gone through misery. They've seen their largest and most hated rivals become top dogs, beat their records, and have lost out on relevance in Europe and spending power.

I'd argue that LFC fans are just as miserable as Leafs fans. They still get behind their team.

It's different culture though.

You can't expect Leafs fans to get nuts about their team the same way LFC does.

I think most of the people that have the "cheer first and the team wins" mentality pertaining to the Leafs, have likely not been to many Leafs games lately and don't understand the skepticism and mood of the fans.

Win and the fans will pick up their voice.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I've been saying it for years.

Get rid of a significant portion of the season tickets, but they will never, so... leather jackets, blackberries and soda it is. lamest of lames

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Here's the plan.

1 - Make the playoffs

2 - Have a gigantic party outside the ACC watching the outside BigScreen for every single playoff game.

I think the atmosphere out there would be awesome. It was in Ottawa during their SC Finals run (they had huge screens set up in front of City-Hall).

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Get rid of a significant portion of the season tickets, but they will never, so... leather jackets, blackberries and soda it is. lamest of lames

Makes zero business sense to eliminate season ticket holders.

There are other markets that have huge portion of season ticket holders that provide a great atmosphere.

Boston great example

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Heaven forbid that a team have a fanbase of civilized members of society rather than a bunch of drunken rowdies fresh from the Tar Sands.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I'd like them to amplify the acoustics so that it sounds louder than it actually is. Then remarket the higher seats as the corporate seats. The goal is to do business in a courting ambiance, not watch hockey games in detail. Just like the regular fans, if they don't want the seats, some other business will snatch them up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad