How To Get The ACC Jumping Again

Leafsvideos

Oct 16, 2010
Okay, winning is the obvious answer, but the only thing that us fans can do to help the cause is to provide a great atmosphere.

So while it may look like what came first, the chicken or the egg, I believe that if the fans take it upon themselves to show great support in times of good or bad, than we can help even if its just a little bit.

Instead of saying, there is nothing we can do, it's all management, lets do something about it. If the TFC supporters section can be loud EVERYgame, with their chants and their craziness even with a weak team, than surely the Maple Leafs can do the same.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Okay, winning is the obvious answer, but the only thing that us fans can do to help the cause is to provide a great atmosphere.

So while it may look like what came first, the chicken or the egg, I believe that if the fans take it upon themselves to show great support in times of good or bad, than we can help even if its just a little bit.

Instead of saying, there is nothing we can do, it's all management, lets do something about it. If the TFC supporters section can be loud EVERYgame, with their chants and their craziness even with a weak team, than surely the Maple Leafs can do the same.

Bullshyte.

Cart before the horse.

Team needs to start winning, and winning regularly in meaningful games. Then the fans will make noise.

This one is on the team. Not the fans. Make no mistake about it - decades of disappointment, the fans aren't expected, nor should they be the first ones here.

Syn3rgetic

Boats the Burn
Apr 10, 2010
Markham
These threads always boil down to people being jealous/envious of the successful business men who get access to the platinum seats.

Deal with it. Better yourself.

I own platinum seats but I'm almost always there alone. The atmosphere was horrendous and well...Im not jealous or envious.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Being an avid soccer fan, I would love to hear our fans all game. Soccer fans in Europe NEVER shut up. They're always loud, always chanting, always going crazy. It really affects the way road teams play. If the crowd can get in the heads of the opposition, the home team has a distinct advantage.

I would love to see it happen in Toronto, but I don't see it any time soon.

I've always said I wish the Leaf fans would adopt a soccer style song, the kind that gets sung at random points during a game. They are very haunting. My personal choice would be the lyrics to my preferred version of Canadian national anthem, "The Maple Leaf Forever":

Here may it wave,
Our boast, our pride
And joined in love together,
The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
The Maple Leaf Forever.

The Maple Leaf
Our Emblem Dear,
The Maple Leaf Forever.
God save our Queen and heaven bless,
The Maple Leaf Forever.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
One thing I noticed watching games in every Canadian rink is most places are pretty quiet during the game action. Most Canadian fans are knowledgeable of the game they are following the play and thinking right along with the players and its a more silent crowd especially in tight games they feel the pressure just as much as the players do. Waiting for that goal so they can erupt or a great fight or big hit.

Now I have been to some southern belt arena's and they cheer loud and often but they are so uneducated about the game they cheer when the other team goes offside or a goalie makes a routine save from a dump in on their net. Not saying its back but its a different atmosphere in a Canadian market.

Now where I have a problem with quiet crowds is when the teams needs a boost on the ice and getting a Go Leafs Go chant and you don't hear anything. I know most players say they don't hear it but that is BS. I know a few NHL'ers and they say they hear loud cheering in the games.

OH and keep that soccer **** out of our rink.....we are not Euro houligans or Habs fans with their OLE OLE ****. haha

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
am not saying that Leaf fans shouldn't be more negative
cause a lot are

but like others has stated, if you want the wagon to roll
just win

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
I've always said I wish the Leaf fans would adopt a soccer style song, the kind that gets sung at random points during a game. They are very haunting.

I thought fans sang during soccer matches because the game is so boring they have nothing better to do.

Crowd noise should have no impact on how a team performs.. Phoenix has made the playoffs the last few years with AHL sized crowds.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
One thing I noticed watching games in every Canadian rink is most places are pretty quiet during the game action. Most Canadian fans are knowledgeable of the game they are following the play and thinking right along with the players and its a more silent crowd especially in tight games they feel the pressure just as much as the fans do.

Now I have been to some southern belt arena's and they cheer loud and often but they are so uneducated about the game they cheer when the other team goes offside or a goalie makes a routine save from a dump in on their net. Not saying its back but its a different atmosphere in a Canadian market.

Now where I have a problem with quiet crowds is when the teams needs a boost on the ice and getting a Go Leafs Go chant and you don't hear anything. I know most players say they don't hear it but that is BS. I know a few NHL'ers and they say they hear loud cheering in the games.

OH and keep that soccer **** out of our rink.....we are not Euro houligans or Habs fans with their OLE OLE ****. haha

Every season you hear Leaf players talking about how much they enjoy playing on the road because of the noise their fanbase creates.

By the by, I think you'll find a very large percentage of NHL fans ARE in fact "Euro's". Not too many are native to Canada.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
The win argument is pathetic.

You're telling me you fill the ACC with the typical loud mouth fans from the nosebleeds and that they would've been quiet? During the past 7 years? Nope.

It's the ****ing suits. Plain and simple. Oh you start winning and now the suits will become louder? They will disregard that they might be sitting with a partner, or a potential investor and rip their suit off and start doing Gangnam style after a Leafs goal? NO! They are corporate puppets who sit there, and will clap, a light fist, that's it, "oh so about those Q4 2012 numbers, I think we need to decrease our budget....oh Bozak scores, nice, nice, so yeah, expenses relating to marketing just weren't on track..."

This is how you get the place rocking. $100 lower bowl seats. Lower the prices for the rest of the place. First come first serve for the fans. All corporate execs should be in the suites in between the top and lower bowls, not in the lower bowl where you want the raucous fans to be shown as they'll be seen and actually heard!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I thought fans sang during soccer matches because the game is so boring they have nothing better to do.

Crowd noise should have no impact on how a team performs.. Phoenix has made the playoffs the last few years with AHL sized crowds.

I still say this whole crowd making noise to help their team is a construct of sports fans' imaginations so as to make themselves feel like they are an important contributor. And when players call for more noise, they're just looking for a way to shift the blame from their poor play.

If you want the crowd atmosphere of European soccer, go watch European soccer.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

You might find it boring. Many don't. I often find baseball and American football incredibly boring. Some people like 5 minutes in between actual play...me not so much.

Lots of things probably shouldn't have an impact but you can either believe the players or not when they tell you they draw from it.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I still say this whole crowd making noise to help their team is a construct of sports fans' imaginations so as to make themselves feel like they are an important contributor. And when players call for more noise, they're just looking for a way to shift the blame from their poor play.

If you want the crowd atmosphere of European soccer, go watch European soccer.

Why do you think players want entrance music?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
One thing I noticed watching games in every Canadian rink is most places are pretty quiet during the game action. Most Canadian fans are knowledgeable of the game they are following the play and thinking right along with the players and its a more silent crowd especially in tight games they feel the pressure just as much as the players do. Waiting for that goal so they can erupt or a great fight or big hit.

This is how I and whoever I'm with watch the game. We discuss what's going on between ourselves and those around us.

We sit 2nd last row Purple.

Kessley Snipes*

The win argument is pathetic.

You're telling me you fill the ACC with the typical loud mouth fans from the nosebleeds and that they would've been quiet? During the past 7 years? Nope.

It's the ****ing suits. Plain and simple. Oh you start winning and now the suits will become louder? They will disregard that they might be sitting with a partner, or a potential investor and rip their suit off and start doing Gangnam style after a Leafs goal? NO! They are corporate puppets who sit there, and will clap, a light fist, that's it, "oh so about those Q4 2012 numbers, I think we need to decrease our budget....oh Bozak scores, nice, nice, so yeah, expenses relating to marketing just weren't on track..."

This is how you get the place rocking. $100 lower bowl seats. Lower the prices for the rest of the place. First come first serve for the fans. All corporate execs should be in the suites in between the top and lower bowls, not in the lower bowl where you want the raucous fans to be shown as they'll be seen and actually heard!

Thank's for solidifying my point. Jealous and Envy are powerful emotions

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Two words. (well rather a name.)

Leo Komarov

iaza12282783962900.jpg

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010

Its true whether you believe it or not...
My friend has purple seasons, all the games I've been too the cheap seat are 19x louder than the plats
The execs just dont care aboult the game.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com

How does that solidify your point? You are supporting business men who just sit on their hands?

There wouldn't even be a discussion if those businessmen were actually cheering. I don't care if you make a million more than me or a million less than me, that is beside the point. Jealousy and envy has no merit to this debate. The point here is that the lower bowl seats are priced ridiculously = corporate suits sitting in them = not even close to the emotion the fans who are sitting up in the nosebleeds, NOT because those seats are cheaper, but they actually have access to buy them without some ****** pre-order corporate code, exclusivity rights due to corporate agreements with corporate suites, or what not.

Simple as that. Hell price them the same, but have all the seats available to all fans. Half the lower bowl seats already are restricted with them being owned by corporations, before they are even released to the public.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
How To Get The ACC Jumping Again

Score on your 2 man advantages. Missing those took the crowd right out of it. Oh and how about scoring the first goal. No one cheers for a team down 2-0 that didn't score on two 5-on-3's.. That Montreal crowd was DEAD after we scored those goals last Saturday.

Last edited:

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Did anyone hear how quiet the Centre bell was on Saturday night until they got within one goal?

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
The crowd was louder before 2005 and even during the 05/06 and 06/07 seasons. No one is cheering for losing, so the argument is not pathetic. Not pathetic at all.

We were losing even during the 05/06 season. Detroit has been winning for 20 years and it still is so damn quiet during season games.

It's the people. The people make the atmosphere. Utah Jazz in NBA were winning for so many years under Jerry Sloan, they weren't even close to being considered the loudest arena in the league.

Wins =/= automatic loudness aka "jumpin"

I'll throw my hat in and say does winning help? Hell yeah, but it's not that easy. I don't think an arena full of suits for a team that's say 18-4 during the first 22 games will get a thread in HFBoards saying "Toronto, loudest arena in the league?"

It's the people.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
a) Allow actual fans of the team to buy tickets
b) Serve alcohol in the third period
c) Serve cheaper alcohol
d) Shoot t-shirts and subs into the crowd
e) Stop playing Metallica at every opportunity
f) More chicks
g) Start making the intermissions more exciting...for example...a sanctioned hockey fighting league every 2nd intermission
h) Introduce a new mascot, Carleyton the Bear, to Carlton...and let them reproduce more mini mascot Bears for each section of the ACC
i) Let each fan vote at each home game who to trade/demote off the team by the trade deadline
j) Confiscate cell phones from heavy users

I will think of more ideas later...k) to z)

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
a) Allow actual fans of the team to buy tickets
b) Serve alcohol in the third period
c) Serve cheaper alcohol
d) Shoot t-shirts and subs into the crowd
e) Stop playing Metallica at every opportunity
f) More chicks
g) Start making the intermissions more exciting...for example...a sanctioned hockey fighting league every 2nd intermission
h) Introduce a new mascot, Carleyton the Bear, to Carlton...and let them reproduce more mini mascot Bears for each section of the ACC
i) Let each fan vote at each home game who to trade/demote off the team by the trade deadline
j) Confiscate cell phones from heavy users

I will think of more ideas later...k) to z)

Leave out the Metallica one. They should have that epic entrance of Enter Sandman the Leafs had from 93.

So badass! Hearing the drums blast from the speakers as Enter Sandman was playing, seeing that scruffy moustache of Wendel Clark walking like a bad man out the locker room and the guitar riff would explode along with the arena when Clark's skate first hits the ice with the team right behind, as they first step on Maple Leaf Gardens ice for the game as their entrance.

Goosebumps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad