How To Get The ACC Jumping Again

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Leave out the Metallica one. They should have that epic entrance of Enter Sandman the Leafs had from 93.

So badass! Hearing the drums blast from the speakers as Enter Sandman was playing, seeing that scruffy moustache of Wendel Clark walking like a bad man out the locker room and the guitar riff would explode along with the arena when Clark's skate first hits the ice with the team right behind, as they first step on Maple Leaf Gardens ice for the game as their entrance.

Goosebumps.

Ok...not my taste but I guess people like it.

I will add an additional idea for a full a) to z) list and subtract the Metallica one.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
We were losing even during the 05/06 season. Detroit has been winning for 20 years and it still is so damn quiet during season games.

It's the people. The people make the atmosphere. Utah Jazz in NBA were winning for so many years under Jerry Sloan, they weren't even close to being considered the loudest arena in the league.

Wins =/= automatic loudness aka "jumpin"

I'll throw my hat in and say does winning help? Hell yeah, but it's not that easy. I don't think an arena full of suits for a team that's say 18-4 during the first 22 games will get a thread in HFBoards saying "Toronto, loudest arena in the league?"

It's the people.

No we weren't, not at home anyways. 26-12-3 at home in 2005-06 is dominant. Suits have been there for years and it's been loud with them there. No one is cheering for a losing team.

Kessley Snipes*

Wasn't Carolina louder than us that year? I swear I remember seeing their fans literally jumping up and down.

Our guys you see like 40% drunks dudes going crazy and the rest are standing and clapping.

You seem to have a problem or some chip on your shoulder that relates to the fanbase that actually attends our home games.

A good 'portion' of the fans at those Carolina Home games were Leaf fans who traveled down from Toronto anyway

Highbuds

Jun 8, 2005
:yo:
Two words. (well rather a name.)

Leo Komarov

iaza12282783962900.jpg

Bring this to the ACC

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Home opener crowd was pathetic.

How do you improve atmosphere at home?

Simple. Win.

Give fans a winning team, and the fans will get behind it.

Right now fans are skeptical about getting behind a team that has let everyone down so many times the past decade (or more). There was a massive "here we go again" feel about the Sabres game.

Win and the fans will cheer.

Cart before horse - win and the fans will cheer, not the other way around.

2 posts in and the correct answer. Remember pre-lockout? ACC was crazy. We just need to win

GreekLeafer

Dec 6, 2010
Ottawa
Ok...not my taste but I guess people like it.

I will add an additional idea for a full a) to z) list and subtract the Metallica one.

Metallica is fine, I just hate when the ACC plays that garbage Until It Sleeps song. Stick to 80's Metallica and 1991 Metallica at the latest. ACC is generally awful for music choices IMO, and I like a lot of the songs they play.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The attitude that "if we were winning..." Is an embarassment. The mark of fairweather fans.

I don't care if we're up 3, or down 3. This is the team we love and support, so support them. As was stated before, loud, supportive fans can have an effect on the game. Plain and simple.

An I have to laugh at the "you're just jealous, better yourself" garbage. I don't care how rich someone is, or how poor someone is. If you love your team, you should have chances to see games. It's unfortunate that a lot of people don't, but that's life (apparently).

And "better yourself"? You would be making $20/hr TOPS where I'm at, doing what you do, and that's being optomistic. Lots of folks with heaps of education can't make a substantial living anymore. Get off your horse.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Winning will get the ACC jumping again.

But something has to be done with the music as well. How many times can they play "Hold the Line" by Toto before realizing that it is 30 years past its expiry date?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
European hockey fans are intense. Drums going on,horns, big banners they pretty much get soccer fans packed into hockey arenas.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The attitude that "if we were winning..." Is an embarassment. The mark of fairweather fans.

I don't care if we're up 3, or down 3. This is the team we love and support, so support them. As was stated before, loud, supportive fans can have an effect on the game. Plain and simple.

It's been 8 years of crappy hockey and if the fan-base can't muster enthusiasm, its pretty understandable. These people who go to games pay ridiculous prices to go and watch the team, even after 8 years of being among the worst teams in the NHL but they are fair-weather fans because they don't make noise in the arena when they are routinely getting embarrassed on home ice game after game, season after season? If it was happening after a couple down seasons, I'd be with you, but this isn't something that happened overnight.

Did you hear the Bell Centre on Saturday when the the Habs were down 2 goals? silent. We hear a lot about how crazy the atmosphere is at Habs games, but when they are losing? Silence.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
It's been 8 years of crappy hockey and if the fan-base can't muster enthusiasm, its pretty understandable. These people who go to games pay ridiculous prices to go and watch the team, even after 8 years of being among the worst teams in the NHL but they are fair-weather fans because they don't make noise in the arena when they are routinely getting embarrassed on home ice game after game, season after season? If it was happening after a couple down seasons, I'd be with you, but this isn't something that happened overnight.

Did you hear the Bell Centre on Saturday when the the Habs were down 2 goals? silent. We hear a lot about how crazy the atmosphere is at Habs games, but when they are losing? Silence.

That's exactly the point, though. I don't care what OTHER fan bases do.

As a Liverpool fan, it's been a pretty dreadful few years, but that hasn't quieted Anfield; not one bit. There isn't a louder, more supportive group of fans I've heard, and they have had next to nothing to cheer about since 2005.

The point is, it's not necessarily the quiet fan who's fairweather, it's the one who uses winning as a crutch. So what!? We're not winning, and really not winning at home. Start making it harder on the visitors by causing havok. You see the effects of crowd noise in almost every sport.

Someone pointed out Winnipeg, and that's a perfect example. The MTS Centre is a nightmare for the opposition, because the crowd is the 6th man.

Mogwai

Apr 6, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
So the arena is full of suits, because it's something to do in a big city. The fans stopped coming out when the team started sucking.

It's easy, just win.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The answer is winning. It's really that simple. All those cities you mentioned - Montreal was flat as hell in their opener. Why? Because they were losing. Winnipeg was flat in their home opener. Why? Because they were losing. Pittsburgh? Same thing (and their own fans were complaining about how pathetic the crowd was for the home opener). It's not some uncommon theme that when teams are losing or not doing much to engage, the fans won't react. It seems so prevalent with the Leafs and the ACC because it's been so damn long since the Leafs won. That's the problem right there.

People think the mark of a great fan is how loud they can scream. I have no issue with fans watching them game intently and waiting until there's a reason to get loud. If there's one thing I'd like the ACC to do is to mock the opposition and the only time the ACC seems to do this is when Miller comes to town and the Leafs are leading in the game. I like chants spread out throughout the game and more importantly urging the team on in key moments in an effort to give them some adrenaline but overall, I like to watch the game intently without making constant noise. To me, it's what separates the significant and insignificant moments that take place on the ice.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The answer is winning. It's really that simple. All those cities you mentioned - Montreal was flat as hell in their opener. Why? Because they were losing. Winnipeg was flat in their home opener. Why? Because they were losing. Pittsburgh? Same thing (and their own fans were complaining about how pathetic the crowd was for the home opener). It's not some uncommon theme that when teams are losing or not doing much to engage, the fans won't react. It seems so prevalent with the Leafs and the ACC because it's been so damn long since the Leafs won. That's the problem right there.

People think the mark of a great fan is how loud they can scream. I have no issue with fans watching them game intently and waiting until there's a reason to get loud. If there's one thing I'd like the ACC to do is to mock the opposition and the only time the ACC seems to do this is when Miller comes to town and the Leafs are leading in the game. I like chants spread out throughout the game and more importantly urging the team on in key moments in an effort to give them some adrenaline but overall, I like to watch the game intently without making constant noise. To me, it's what separates the significant and insignificant moments that take place on the ice.

:handclap: This guy gets it.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

See, I've never understood booing or mocking the opposition. To me, if I was an opposing player and the fans mocked or booed me, I'd just eat it up. It would be inspiring -- the equivalent of my home fans cheering for me. It would be saying you're important.

RedHead Kingpin

Jan 14, 2012
Runestone
Being an avid soccer fan, I would love to hear our fans all game. Soccer fans in Europe NEVER shut up. They're always loud, always chanting, always going crazy. It really affects the way road teams play. If the crowd can get in the heads of the opposition, the home team has a distinct advantage.

I would love to see it happen in Toronto, but I don't see it any time soon.

This. Love when we boo alfie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad