How the mighty have fallen: Chicago and LA

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Yup. You pretty much have a 5-7 year window. Even if you keep all your stars around, you have to sacrifice somewhere and that's going to be your teams depth. Combine that with trading picks and prospects over the years and you have no cheap ELC's in the pipeline.

Harder now too without the benefit of back-diving deals. The Blackhawks cap crunch would've come sooner if they didn't have Keith and Hossa for so cheap.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Not really they were distinctly behind the rangers, bruins, in the east and behind the Ducks, Hawks, Kings in the west. They had a bottom tier goalie when the playoffs rolled around, nobodies like dupuis who wouldn’t crack the top 6 of any other team let alone play on the top line like he did in Pit, a coach who is possibly the worst HC to win a cup in the modern era and made that entire team mentally unstable and thrown off easily. Pit had no chance in any of the previous finals with Bylsma and playoff fleury.

Holy revisionist history just cut the crap just because Pit was not a real contender during the years other teams were winning doesn’t mean the league was weaker since they were just participation award winners. How on earth do you go about these mental gymnastics every post you make? The league didn’t magically get better from top to bottom in a mere 3 years there will always be about 7 teams that could go deep a few hopefuls and then a good 7 teams that need to get their act together. If Pit continues playing awful and a different team wins again will you go back to saying the league is worse and that 2016 and 17 was the peak of league competitiveness:popcorn:
Pens were playoff disappointments between 2010-15 for sure, but they were a popular pick to win the cup or at least were considered a strong contender in 2010 (defending champions), 2012 (51 wins, 108 points, +61 goal differential, #1 offense), 2013 (36-12 record, #1 offense), 2014 (51 wins, 108 points). I'd say only really 2010, 2012, and 2014 would be considered disappointing playoff performances. 2011 and 2015 they had massive injuries so an early exit was expected, and 2013 they at least made the ECF.

They've absolutely been considered contenders for basically 12 years straight. Saying they weren't considered contenders would be revisionist history.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Pens were playoff disappointments between 2010-15 for sure, but they were a popular pick to win the cup or at least were considered a strong contender in 2010 (defending champions), 2012 (51 wins, 108 points, +61 goal differential, #1 offense), 2013 (36-12 record, #1 offense), 2014 (51 wins, 108 points). I'd say only really 2010, 2012, and 2014 would be considered disappointing playoff performances. 2011 and 2015 they had massive injuries so an early exit was expected, and 2013 they at least made the ECF.

They've absolutely been considered contenders for basically 12 years straight. Saying they weren't considered contenders would be revisionist history.
An early exit was expected... but you dont expect early exits from contenders.

Yeah if Sid and others were healthy. But often they weren't and people went expecting them to be contenders because of that or Fleury question Marks.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Not really they were distinctly behind the rangers, bruins, in the east and behind the Ducks, Hawks, Kings in the west. They had a bottom tier goalie when the playoffs rolled around, nobodies like dupuis who wouldn’t crack the top 6 of any other team let alone play on the top line like he did in Pit, a coach who is possibly the worst HC to win a cup in the modern era and made that entire team mentally unstable and thrown off easily. Pit had no chance in any of the previous finals with Bylsma and playoff fleury.

Holy revisionist history just cut the crap just because Pit was not a real contender during the years other teams were winning doesn’t mean the league was weaker since they were just participation award winners. How on earth do you go about these mental gymnastics every post you make? The league didn’t magically get better from top to bottom in a mere 3 years there will always be about 7 teams that could go deep a few hopefuls and then a good 7 teams that need to get their act together. If Pit continues playing awful and a different team wins again will you go back to saying the league is worse and that 2016 and 17 was the peak of league competitiveness:popcorn:

actually your post is revisionist history, nobody thought the rangers and bruins were ahead of the pens in those years, the pens were heavy favorites when they got swept by the bruins

the hawks and kings didn't just forget how to play hockey, better teams passed them by

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
actually your post is revisionist history, nobody thought the rangers and bruins were ahead of the pens in those years, the pens were heavy favorites when they got swept by the bruins

the hawks and kings didn't just forget how to play hockey, better teams passed them by

You are openly saying the entire league was crap from 2010-15 because two teams that weren’t yours were running the show. The fact that you are convinced that a kings team that went 16-4 and lead each series 3-0 before ever losing a game and never being threatened with elimination is a great summary of your hockey knowledge and why your posts are being blasted in every thread you post.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Fun fact: the salary cap doesn't force teams to re-sign players to bad contracts.

Reactions: ES

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lol what garbage.

The Pens were always the better team, so their first round exits and bad performances just get a pass because injury and 3 years of 'disappointing' exits don't mean anything.

The Hawks and Kings got lucky, and were just playing over their heads, and obviously never had injuries or bad luck so they were just playing over their heads, and any first round exit is par for the course because they're not good.

Do you people believe the shit at your fingertips while you're typing it? Keep it up, it's hilarious.

Sorry the Pens just flat-out weren't good enough for a time period to test your theories, but it's clear you've told yourselves enough times that "peak hockey" was only the years the Pens made the finals, so having a 'discussion' with you is more like talking to a brick wall. The really funny thing about this is that if the entire league was just bad between 2010-2015 and the Pens couldn't get far enough...well, that's just a self-own, good imploding argument.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
You are openly saying the entire league was crap from 2010-15 because two teams that weren’t yours were running the show. The fact that you are convinced that a kings team that went 16-4 and lead each series 3-0 before ever losing a game and never being threatened with elimination is a great summary of your hockey knowledge and why your posts are being blasted in every thread you post.

my posts get blasted by you

i think you're in love with me, step off dude

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
Lol what garbage.

The Pens were always the better team, so their first round exits and bad performances just get a pass because injury and 3 years of 'disappointing' exits don't mean anything.

The Hawks and Kings got lucky, and were just playing over their heads, and obviously never had injuries or bad luck so they were just playing over their heads.

Do you people believe the **** at your fingertips while you're typing it? Keep it up, it's hilarious.

Sorry the Pens weren't good enough for a time period to test your theories, but it's clear you've told yourselves enough times that "peak hockey" was only the years the Pens made the finals.

yeah it's just an odd coincidence those teams can no longer compete in the league when their cores were largely the same since their last cups...

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
y

Which would make them a perennial disappointment by your standards.

Keep owning yourself, it's fun to watch the implosion.

using your reasoning, Pens were pretty bad between 2010 and 2015, they're fortunate they didn't make it further to get embarrassed because they lost to the teams that lost in the finals.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
Which would make them a perennial disappointment by your standards.

Keep owning yourself, it's fun to watch the implosion.

using your reasoning, Pens were pretty bad between 2010 and 2015, they're fortunate they didn't make it further to get embarrassed because they lost to the teams that lost in the finals.

the pens made the playoffs every year from 2010 - 2015 and won a few series too

can you say the same about the kings since 2014, or the hawks since 2015?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I always wondered the sound of goalposts moving. Thanks for providing it so loudly.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
They had their time and will likely be good again in the future. This is how sports work, and is especially the case due to parity that has been forced by a salary cap in some respects.

I was happy for both teams when they did well, but I want to see my team win something. I'm so invested in them that my emotions are almost dictated by how well they do or don't (due to depression and generally being miserable about life otherwise), and I just want to see one Cup before I die.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

Do you want a banner for “we sometimes beat a team in round 1” for that era.

2010 lost convincingly to an 8 seed
2011 blew a 3-1 lead in round one
2012 blown out by philly round 1
2013 acquired Vokoun so fleury couldn’t choke round 1, proceeds to score only 2 goals in the biggest stage the team has been at in years
2014 blew a 3-1 lead this time to New York
2015 should be happy they even won a game in round 1

If the Stanley cup was awarded for being a disappointment they would truly have been a contender in every sense of the word:nod:

Reactions: fivesberg

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
i can't post without you responding to me, so yeah you got a strange infatuation for me

Perhaps if you made more intelligent posts rather spitting garbage I wouldn’t have to publicly shame you so often:joker: the moment you stop being a jester is the moment you won’t be lambasted in evey thread you post in.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
The two teams that always blocked and eliminated the Canucks in the Western Playoffs... how the mighty have indeed fallen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00