Sportsnet: How Senators’ Chabot stacks up against Karlsson, team history

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not sure what you are getting at. Its definitely a valid discussion point in a thread to discuss an article comparing Chabot to Karlsson. Even the biggest Karlsson haters have to admit that they would be pretty electric together, it's not like it couldn't have happened.

I don’t think they would be ‘electric’ together at all. EK likes to have the puck on his stick and his best partner was a stay at home defence man who played D for two, and then dished EK the puck whenever he had it.

They would not play together.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don’t think they would be ‘electric’ together at all. EK likes to have the puck on his stick and his best partner was a stay at home defence man who played D for two, and then dished EK the puck whenever he had it.

They would not play together.

Thats like saying that McDavid and Draisaitl wouldn't work together because they both like the puck on their stick. Wack

And anyway you'd have two pairings led by minute munching Norris caliber D. Definitely electrifying.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In the league at 39? Having earned 140 million or so. I doubt it.
Yeah i guess thats why Chara Marleau and Thornton retired years ago, why Gonchar didn't play past 35 and why Jagr Alfredsson selanne lidstrom ect all retired long before they turned 39. Oh wait...

I think Karlsson has a good chance of playing at that age. He has the hockey sense to adapt his game as he ages and is uber competitive. Injuries or regression might prevent him from making it there but i doubt his career earnings will factor in at all.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Thats like saying that McDavid and Draisaitl wouldn't work together because they both like the puck on their stick. Wack

And anyway you'd have two pairings led by minute munching Norris caliber D. Definitely electrifying.

It’s not actually like saying that at all seeing as how both of the players you’re talking about are forwards whose jobs are to, well, play forward.

Putting Chabot with EK would suck because who would play defense? Two forwards?

EK is not a good defender by nature, and Chabot, while better, is also offensively focused.

It’s a terrible pairing that would put at least one guy in a position of not playing to his strengths.

EK is gone.

Two pairings is obviously how it would have to be. :)

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It’s not actually like saying that at all seeing as how both of the players you’re talking about are forwards whose jobs are to, well, play forward.

Putting Chabot with EK would suck because who would play defense? Two forwards?

EK is not a good defender by nature, and Chabot, while better, is also offensively focused.

It’s a terrible pairing that would put at least one guy in a position of not playing to his strengths.

EK is gone.

Two pairings is obviously how it would have to be. :)

Man I don't know what to say if you think that Karlsson and Chabot basically play as forwards.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah i guess thats why Chara Marleau and Thornton retired years ago, why Gonchar didn't play past 35 and why Jagr Alfredsson selanne lidstrom ect all retired long before they turned 39. Oh wait...

I think Karlsson has a good chance of playing at that age. He has the hockey sense to adapt his game as he ages and is uber competitive. Injuries or regression might prevent him from making it there but i doubt his career earnings will factor in at all.

Great. You listed some guys that played at 39 and beyond

How about we create a list of HHOF guys that retired before 39 and that played longer than that. Which list do you think will be longer?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man I don't know what to say if you think that Karlsson and Chabot basically play as forwards.

I think you get the point. Neither are good defenders, so they wouldn’t be playing together on a top line. We would get caved in every shift, teams would be looking to match up their top lines against that line, instead of the opposite.

If you don’t know what to say, we should leave this alone now.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think you get the point. Neither are good defenders, so they wouldn’t be playing together on a top line. We would get caved in every shift, teams would be looking to match up their top lines against that line, instead of the opposite.

Yea man. D men who play 30+ minutes are bad defenders. Makes sense.

I really shouldn't say anything else.

Reactions: BatherSeason

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Karlsson turned down an 11M offer from Melnyk. It's possible his mind could have been changed with a 12M offer. Would you have been comfortable paying him 12M for the next ten seasons?

Reactions: JD1

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Man did Karlsson **** in some of y'alls corn flakes or something?

The ones that tell people to get over the past sure do like trying to celebrate his demise thats apparently already happened.

I miss EK every day. Definitely my favorite senator after Alfie. The guy was ELITE!

I have never seen anyone on here celebrating his demise. There is no demise. He has just moved on to greener pastures, like he wanted to do.

Reactions: Gesus

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Wow, are you an NHL coach?

Interesting how some spout opinions like facts.

Dude, everything I post here is an opinion. I like to think my opinions are correct. Sort it out.

I mean they could play together if that makes you feel better. But I don’t think any coach would play two offensive defensemen together if they wanted to get the best out of both guys.

But hey, you and Rex seem determined to be right here, so I’ll leave all of the points in the table for you guys.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson doesn't play defense. He's brutal at times. Even Sj fans are noticing.

What a dumb response. Go ask sj fans. All they are noticing is that he's been their best player.

Why have some Sens fans turned into salty Doughty fans after he's left?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Karlsson doesn't play defense. He's brutal at times. Even Sj fans are noticing.

That's hilarious. He's a top penalty killer on the best penalty killing team in the league - a team that doesn't have a great goalie. His on-ice EV goal differential is -4. Burns is -21. Nobody has ever called him a shutdown D-man and everyone knows he can have his rough patches. But the good outweighs the bad by a good margin when he's in-form. It was that way in 11-12, 12-13, 14-15, 15-16, 16-17, 18-19 for the month and a half where he was on fire, and for the last month and a half this season.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
What a dumb response. Go ask sj fans. All they are noticing is that he's been their best player.

Why have some Sens fans turned into salty Doughty fans after he's left?
Because every sucks after they leave the Sens. It’s funny how many posters loved Ceci and defended him at all costs but are now saying he sucks on the Leafs. At least be consistent yikes...

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot is already phenomenal even if he'll never match Karlsson.

In terms of this comparison, it shows Chabot keeping up with Karlsson, but this is where Karlsson was beginning to explode as he headed towards his first Norris.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

:laugh::help:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1