Sportsnet: How Senators’ Chabot stacks up against Karlsson, team history

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Kinda hard to move the UFAs though considering you need a trade partner and we're a bit early for that right now. I think activity will really pick up in mid January

I hope they sign Demelo and Boro. Trade Namestikov and Ennis. Sign Pageau/trade Tierney or trade Pageau/keep Tierney

And i dont think there us a market for Anisimov. Hopefully he gets bought out this summer.

Ah I think this is a great time to move the players, Hall just got an amazing return because they get him for more games. In my opinion the only players they should consider extending out of the ones you listed are Boro and Demelo.

The return on Pageau is too valuable to not trade him where the organization is right now. This years draft has depth like 2003 and 2015 where stars were picked in the 20's and 2nd round of both those drafts. If they are getting a first and a good prospect for him they have to do it. I love Pageau, im one of his biggest supporters but from an asset management standpoint they need to do it. Plus they are simply winning too much right now and he is one of the biggest reasons its happening.

I dont see Tierney as someone I want long term he just doesnt play with enough jam. He is a responsible player but I think the way this team is being built right now their identity will be a big heavy hard team he doesnt fit. With his contract status he is basically an impending UFA as one year away from UFA as an RFA at the end of the season. Trade him now while he has more value because of the extra year of control.

With Batherson, Norris, Formenton, Balcers, Chlapik, L. Brown and whoever they draft this upcoming draft they have to start making room. Plus you can get comparable players as UFA's for very cheap in the offseason as Namestinikov, Ennis etc.

The D core needs the stability I agree id like the team so sign atleast one of Demelo and or Boro.

Agreed on Anisimov.

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hall didn’t really get an amazing return, and we don’t want to bring kids up from Belleville is trading players right now doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Add in that just because the absolute best player made available in the league got traded early doesn’t mean that Ennis or Hainsey are highly sought after at this point. Consider that the deadline is also very attractive to playoff teams because the salary commitments to Pending UFAs is so much smaller.

Anyways, just because the team isn’t behaving according to your desired plan, doesn’t mean that they don’t have their own plan obviously.

Patience Bert, no one is being traded right now

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You are rewriting history here, not me

Karlsson was drafted in 08 as uou mentioned and yes we missed the playoffs the following year. Karlsson did not play that year

His first year in the league we finished 5th in the east. Second we missed. Third we made the playoffs finishing t7th...which is bubble territory.

In your quote back to me, you said "made the playoffs consistently" what @aragorn said was "quite consistently" which is different

In Karlsson's first 3 years the team had 94, 74 and 92 points. Thats an 87 point average

In Chabot's first two years we had 67 and 64 points and we're pacing around 75 this year

Calling a spade a spade, I don't think there's any question that Karlsson broke in to the league on a stronger team which was Aragorn's assertion.
Well actually no i am not rewriting history, i never said he played the year we drafted him i just said the team missed the playoffs the year after the drafted him. The idea being to establish where the teams were before they joined them to remove their respective impact. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Anyways, if you want to buy into ottawa as being a pretty good team making the playoffs quite consistently back then have at it but that's a really generous way to describe a team that made the playoffs two years in a row only once his entire time here imo. Not really looking to derail this thread over this, i think we all agree the sens were better back then.

Reactions: JD1

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think we should just be really happy and fortunate that the sens have another franchise defenseman in Chabot. I agree with the sentiment that Karlsson is gone and thats that there is no point in rehashing it anymore. Time to move on.

What I would like to acknowledge is that the team made a commitment to the rebuild, they traded all the stars. Now that they have done that the organization needs to continue with the commitment they made in blowing up the team. That means continuing with the plan and trading all the UFA's and the players that dont have a long term future in the organization. However it appears to me the people running this team dont really even actually have an end game of plan moving forward. If so trades would already have been made and young players would be given larger roles and more opportunity to develop.

Thats my issue, no real direction and probably the reason why all those players wanted to leave as there is no commitment to achieving the ultimate goal of winning a stanley cup. I think the organization is in a good position moving forward but this season needs to be excecuted properly.

Just throwing this out there Bert, but do you think that the Expansion Draft may have anything to do with rushing or not rushing prospects into the NHL too early & therefore needing to have to protect a good number of them? I'm a little unclear as to the rules that will be associated with the expansion draft & if playing so many games in the NHL will make them eligible for protection or not, whatever the threshold is? I just wonder if they are waiting for the expansion draft to be over before they have too many players to protect or if that is even a concern this early when the expansion draft isn't until 2021. I would think it might just play into it a little bit, what do you think?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just throwing this out there Bert, but do you think that the Expansion Draft may have anything to do with rushing or not rushing prospects into the NHL too early & therefore needing to have to protect a good number of them? I'm a little unclear as to the rules that will be associated with the expansion draft & if playing so many games in the NHL will make them eligible for protection or not, whatever the threshold is? I just wonder if they are waiting for the expansion draft to be over before they have too many players to protect or if that is even a concern this early when the expansion draft isn't until 2021. I would think it might just play into it a little bit, what do you think?

I thought players would be exempt if they played 2 or less professional seasons. I think AHL or NHL are both considered the same here regarding "professional".

The Must expose minimum requirement rules are more NHL specific. e.g. played in 40 games last season or in 70 games over the last 2.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Chabot is unlikely to ever to ever be considered on the same tier as Karlsson but if he continues to develop he may eventually surpass Chara and Redden to be seen as the second best d-man in Sens history.

Reactions: stempniaksen

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think there are aspects in Karlsson’s game that Chabot can never do. I also think there are aspects in Chabot’s game that Karlsson can never do

Reactions: BatherSeason

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
:huh: Imagine if there was a team lucky enough to have had these two players on the same team at the same time. Your defence could be set for years.
Yup, because having approximately 20 mil locked into 2 D would be real smart with this current team... would rather the prospects/picks at this point.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I will say this.

If Chabot finishes his entire career with the Sens, he will easily be considered the best Defenseman is franchise history, regardless of how dominant their respective peaks were..... I have spoken

Reactions: stempniaksen

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I will say this.

If Chabot finishes his entire career with the Sens, he will easily be considered the best Defenseman is franchise history, regardless of how dominant their respective peaks were..... I have spoken

Ya, i agree. I think peak wise it'll be Karlsson but career wise it'll be Chabot

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Chabot is good enough to be a #1 guy which is all that should matter when trying to build a team that can win a Stanley Cup regardless of how unlikely that is with Melnyk and Dorion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad