How Much Would You Give up for the 2015 1st Overall Pick?

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
id give:
kessel + our 1st + Nashville 1st. I would also add one of Gardiner/Kadri/Bernier/Phaneuf

Id love to have a superstar here.... never had one/

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Again, ever since he mocked Kessel at the AS game, their point production are virtually identical. The trophies don't mean much to me. People like flash. Just look at the farce that is the Norris trophy.

If you are neck and neck with Kessel over such a long period, pretty hard to convince me you are generational. OV is a lot like Allen Iverson. Score more than most but take twice as many shots and be wanting in so many areas.

I guess if you want to diminish a player, taking away awards that distinguish him for any reason you can find would be one way. He has the 2nd most points in the past 5 seasons. No awards for that. He is one of only 5 players in that time span with a PPG. No awards for that. He has the most goals in that time span. There is an award for that, and no one votes on it. Most Game Winning goals in that period. No awards for that. What's funnier is that what makes OV a generational player is his goal scoring. He is 4th all time in goals per game and the three ahead of him played in higher scoring eras for at least part of their career. As far as Kessel goes, he isn't neck and neck with him. OV has scored at over a PPG in the past 5 seasons and Kessel is at .91. He leads Kessel in every single category. You are confusing Kessel being top 5 in points and goals over the past 5 seasons with him being equal. He isn't.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
if we are rebuilding, you start from the goalie out. So lets say we believe Bernier is a starter. He is young so he is only going to get better. We have Rielly as a solid piece on the backend. After those two I would give up almost anything to get McDavid. He is a generational talent. They come around once every 10 years. What good is holding onto JVR, Kessel, and even Kadri if you don't have that NUmber One Centre. I say trade whatever it takes aside from Bernier and Rielly. Keep the first picks from every year following this one.

These guys dont come around too often.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
I would make the likes of Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, JVR, Gardiner, NAS and TOR 1st all in play. I would never give up Rielly, Nylander, etc. for one simple reason - no player is a sure thing. I don't care if McDavid is considered a 'generational' talent. We've heard this before with Daigle and Lindros. Daigle became a wannabe movie star and Lindros while a decent career, was nowhere near to the value that Colorado received. Point being I would much rather keep the kids and build around them through the draft, then to trade them for a kid who has yet to play a single NHL game.

With that said, if we somehow land the 1st overall pick I will be ecstatic. However, knowing the Leafs we will get McDavid, who will proceed to be considered the biggest busts of NHL history, cause you know, Leafs :D

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Hmmm...you may want to rethink the idea of using counting stats unless you really think 16 players from the 80's were generational type players

Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and OV in my lifetime. I know people will have more, and I know some will question why Crosby isn't there if OV is, but I think Crosby's injuries have hurt him and I don't give credit for what if.

Then how can you give Ovechkin credit when he has had zero team success?

Crosby's still has 2 MVP's despite the injuries. Won a Cup and 2 gold medals. To put anyone in his generation above him that doesn't play on Chicago or LA is pretty laughable in my opinion.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
That's too much.

Kessel, Gards and Nash 1st should be market value.

Too much for what exactly?

That offer might get you the 5th pick in the draft. Probably not 3rd. Definitely not 1st or 2nd.

Start with TOR 2015 and 2016 1st and Nylander and Rielly. Then you MIGHT have the basis of a deal when Toronto adds 2 or 3 more assets. Otherwise you're wasting everyones time.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Then how can you give Ovechkin credit when he has had zero team success?

Crosby's still has 2 MVP's despite the injuries. Won a Cup and 2 gold medals. To put anyone in his generation above him that doesn't play on Chicago or LA is pretty laughable in my opinion.

Zero team success shows what happens when you rely on one player. What has Crosby and Malkin done since they both took enormous contracts? Nada. Do you even know how this conversation got started? Me saying I would sooner have the Hawks and Kings depth and someone else saying you don't need it to win cups.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
What if Mcdavid pulls an eric Lindros and says he will only wear the blue n white.
Would Edmonton or buffalo expect the Lindros trade value?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Kessel + Phaneuf (retain 3 mil per year)+ Nylander

Would much rather add Gardiner + Nash 1st instead of Nylander but I doubt a team would go for that.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
I would have traded kessel and phaneuf at the deadline for sub-par value to any team in order to tank for that number 1, that would have been the cheapest way to get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad