How Much Would You Give up for the 2015 1st Overall Pick?

6 8 5 13

Oct 26, 2009
Assuming it will be used to draft Connor McDavid.

Do you think your proposed offer is enough to get the deal done with any teams who could possibly hold that draft pick?

What leaf assets would you be willing to trade away for 2015 1st overall?

EDIT: This was meant as a hypothetical to start some discussion. I think we all know that in reality the pick is very unlikely to be moved, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Same answer as the least few times this thread was started.
No Team will move the pick.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
It would cost so much that it wouldn't make sense.

TOR 1st, NSH 1st, Rielly, Nylander. Doubt that package even gets it done to be honest.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs would be smart to trade as much as it takes.

However the odds of the team owning it and trading it might be .00000001%

The best odds of Leafs obtaining the #1 pick is by winning the draft lottery.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I made a thread like this a few weeks ago and it got merged into one of the stickied threads and effectively killed. It was asking if Leafs fans would do Nylander + our top-5 pick for #1.

I hope the same mistake isn't made with this thread.

I'd give up pretty much anything short of top-5 + Nylander + Rielly for McDavid.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Would have to be something radical.

Rielly, Kadri, Nylander and every pick for the next 3 drafts.

Crosby is the reason you don't do it. Even as the best player he's only been to 2 Cup Finals.

You need depth to win in the NHL, not just elite talent.

silentbob37*

It would cost so much that it wouldn't make sense.

TOR 1st, NSH 1st, Rielly, Nylander. Doubt that package even gets it done to be honest.

Why would that pacakge not make sense?

Sure you are starting over from group zero, but you have a piece that is so good and so important to your long term success that its worth it.

Go back to 2005, what would you give up to gt that 1stoverall pick?

gregmash23

Nov 20, 2014
Not looking to attack anyone but this thread should probably just be shut down. This topic is actually a pure waste of time. No team is ever passing up a chance to draft a generational talent. EVER.

silentbob37*

Would have to be something radical.

Rielly, Kadri, Nylander and every pick for the next 3 drafts.

Crosby is the reason you don't do it. Even as the best player he's only been to 2 Cup Finals.

You need depth to win in the NHL, not just elite talent.

You also need elite talent, not just depth.

Depth can built over time, you can't always find elite talent.

6 8 5 13

Oct 26, 2009
No Team will move the pick.

Why kill discussion by saying this?

What if the LA Kings miss the playoffs and win the lottery, what would it take to pry the 1st overall from them? Would JVR, Reilly, Nylander be enough for 2015 1st overall and Mike Richards?

Weird/unlikely things have happened in the past.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
You also need elite talent, not just depth.

Depth can built over time, you can't always find elite talent.

So what do you suggest we do...trade any and all depth for the 1 elite talent and try to find depth in free wallets and UFA's or hope the 3 we have and 3 or 4 more 1sts to come can become elite talent while we slowly draft smart and develop some depth?

Considering we're essentially doing a bottom up rebuild from scratch I think gambling on the 8-10 assets rather then trading them for the 1 sure thing is likely the best option over the long haul. That's how the LA and Chicago's passed the Pittsburgh's on the development curve even with the Penguins having 2 elite #1 centers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

What if the LA Kings miss the playoffs and win the lottery, what would it take to pry the 1st overall from them? Would JVR, Reilly, Nylander be enough for 2015 1st overall and Mike Richards?

It has? There is no precedent for this every happening.

Not trying to kill the discussion, have at it.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Why would that pacakge not make sense?

Sure you are starting over from group zero, but you have a piece that is so good and so important to your long term success that its worth it.

Go back to 2005, what would you give up to gt that 1stoverall pick?

That package doesn't make sense to the team drafting #1, not the Leafs.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It has? There is no precedent for this every happening.

Not trying to kill the discussion, have at it.

This isn't the legal system. You don't need precedent.

You need circumstance and situation. 2 things that we've seen shock hockey fans as soon as last Thursday when David Clarkson got traded.

It's almost more logical to believe that eventually one of those talents does get moved at the draft since it's never happened before rather then believe that since it's never happened before the chance of it happening in the future is 0%.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I think Leaf fans are just setting themselves up for disappointment if they believe they will be able to land Connor McDavid without winning the draft lottery.

Whoever wins the right to draft 1st overall is simply highly unlikely to deal the pick regardless of the offers.

The only way I see the #1 pick traded is if its for the #2 overall pick + a boatload of additional assets and the team owning #1 will accept Eichel at #2 overall instead.

Hypothetically if Buffalo owns #1 and Leafs had #2 overall in this draft and Buffalo could see the advantage of selling the young US Star Eichel to their market and take Rielly+Nylander+more from the Leafs who would prefer the young Canadian star McDavid.

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
If we end up top 3 I wouldnt do anything except draft in our slot. If we are going to use the Crosby reference, then yes he is a generational talent, but there was also Carey Price at 5 who some would argue is going to be the MVP and Vezina winner this year and basically carried the Habs to the conference finals last year.

My point is, like was mentioned earlier, having that generational talent is great, but he has to play with someone, and not just someone, but lots of someones who are also highly touted and scouted prospects in their own right. The Leafs need to draft early and often and for a number of years in a row.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I think Leaf fans are just setting themselves up for disappointment if they believe they will be able to land Connor McDavid without winning the draft lottery.

Whoever wins the right to draft 1st overall is simply highly unlikely to deal the pick regardless of the offers.

The only way I see the #1 pick traded is if its for the #2 overall pick + a boatload of additional assets and the team owning #1 will accept Eichel at #2 overall instead.

Agreed. It's a pipe dream that involves too many other factors happening 1st. Since we're likely picking 1,3,4,5, or 6 it seems like the chance of getting the #2 pick AND trading it is just not that good.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
If we end up top 3 I wouldnt do anything except draft in our slot. If we are going to use the Crosby reference, then yes he is a generational talent, but there was also Carey Price at 5 who some would argue is going to be the MVP and Vezina winner this year and basically carried the Habs to the conference finals last year.

My point is, like was mentioned earlier, having that generational talent is great, but he has to play with someone, and not just someone, but lots of someones who are also highly touted and scouted prospects in their own right. The Leafs need to draft early and often and for a number of years in a row.

Call me crazy but i'm not sold on Eichel and if i'm picking #2 I try to trade to 3 to take Hanifin and try and get a 2016 1st out of an Arizona or Edmonton for the right to take Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad