How Much Would You Give up for the 2015 1st Overall Pick?

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
I would do: EASILY

Phaneuf (20%) + Kessel + JVR + Bernier

for

McDavid

without question
McDavid is crosby, maybe even better. This kind of player comes once every decade.

People saying "oh but you cant build a team around one player". If that player is in the same group as Crosby, Gretzky and Lemieux, YES WE CAN.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
It really depends on the team that ends up with number one overall.

If it's Buffalo or Arizona, I highly doubt they would ever entertain a trade offer. Both are desperate for a signature player they can build around.

If it's Carolina or Edmonton things might be interesting.

Let's assume Edmonton ends up with the pick. They have a solid young core of forwards and might be interested in moving the pick for a package that helps now and gives them future assets.

What would the trade take?

I would think it would require: two solid young players that are in the league right now, a prospect, a solid veteran player and a package of draft picks for the future.

Something like:
Rielly
Gardiner or Kadri (I would assume if Edmonton pried one of Rielly or Gardiner, they wouldn't want a second d-man and would like Kadri as a second centre to RNH).
Brown or Nylander or Percy
Kessel or JVR
Multiple first round draft picks (starting this year). A minimum of two and probably three, which the Leafs would probably want staggered (every other year, etc).

silentbob37*

2 have won multiple cups and are legit contenders every year while the other two are footnotes. Those two by the way have Crosby/Malkin/OV. If your point is you'd sell the farm for one player just to be "decent", then say that. Don't pretend the two teams with the best talent to depth ratio are somehow equal to the Pens and Caps

Why do so many people look at what someone posts and jsut create their own statement around it. Can you show me the post were I said "get McDavid and then just be decent"? If not, stop putting words in my mouth.

What I HAVE said that part of a cup winning team is franchise talent (along with core and supporting players), and the hardest element of those 3 to find is franchise talent. McDavid goes beyond franchise talent, it might be 10 years before a player with his potential comes along again. Say you give Nylander and Rielly etc... sure your corea nd supporting elements are now weaker but you've added the type of player that is the hardest to add, and you now have a genertaional player to build around moving forward. We don't have that now, and its unlikely we will get that in ths years draft without a top 3 pick, and its possible they could spend 2-3-4-5+ years LOOKING for those players and not find them. So given the chance to add one, even if the price is steep......you take it.

Now if you're Avs and you have MacKinnon, if you're the Predators with Jones......maybe its different.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

for

McDavid

without question
McDavid is crosby, maybe even better. This kind of player comes once every decade.

People saying "oh but you cant build a team around one player". If that player is in the same group as Crosby, Gretzky and Lemieux, YES WE CAN.

That kind of deal is virtually impossible. McDavid's cap hit on an entry level deal is virtually nothing. Meanwhile Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR and Bernier (who will be looking for a new deal this summer) easily carry a cap hit over $20 million.

silentbob37*

It really depends on the team that ends up with number one overall.

If it's Buffalo or Arizona, I highly doubt they would ever entertain a trade offer. Both are desperate for a signature player they can build around.

If it's Carolina or Edmonton things might be interesting.

Let's assume Edmonton ends up with the pick. They have a solid young core of forwards and might be interested in moving the pick for a package that helps now and gives them future assets.

What would the trade take?

I would think it would require: two solid young players that are in the league right now, a prospect, a solid veteran player and a package of draft picks for the future.

Something like:
Rielly
Gardiner or Kadri (I would assume if Edmonton pried one of Rielly or Gardiner, they wouldn't want a second d-man and would like Kadri as a second centre to RNH).
Brown or Nylander or Percy
Kessel or JVR
Multiple first round draft picks (starting this year). A minimum of two and probably three, which the Leafs would probably want staggered (every other year, etc).

Oilesr aren't moving the 1st overall pick. Realistically, no one is.

If they get pick 2 or 3 and Leafs have 4-6/7 MAYBE they are willing to swap picks to get Bernier.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
To acquire the first overall pick, I would trade our #1, the Nashville #1, and, one of Phaneuf or Bernier. Might not be enough!

McDavid is that good.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Oilesr aren't moving the 1st overall pick. Realistically, no one is.

If they get pick 2 or 3 and Leafs have 4-6/7 MAYBE they are willing to swap picks to get Bernier.

I agree completely.

There is virtually no chance any team that gets number one this year moves the pick. Nobody is going to pass on a chance to get a once in a generation talent like McDavid.

I was just speculating about what a deal might look at. And of all the teams in contention for the pick Edmonton might face the most pressure to do something now to win quicker. But it's highly unlikely they would move the pick. If anything they would pick McDavid and then move other pieces on their roster for more immediate help.

Disagree with you about Bernier. I'm not sure why Leafs fans think Bernier is such an attractive asset. This year is has been average and really hasn't done a thing to prove he is a hands down number 1 goalie in the NHL.

No way Edmonton moves a pick near the top of this draft for a guy like Bernier. Edmonton definitely needs a starting goalie, but I doubt they would give up much of anything for Bernier.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I would give up each and every player on the Leafs roster, the entire coaching staff, every person in management, and Rogers altogether.

And I don't even want the 2015 1st overall pick in return!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I would give up each and every player on the Leafs roster, the entire coaching staff, every person in management, and Rogers altogether.

And I don't even want the 2015 1st overall pick in return!

LIRL! :biglaugh:

Sep 18, 2009

for

McDavid

without question

Worst asset management in the history of the universe.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Why do so many people look at what someone posts and jsut create their own statement around it. Can you show me the post were I said "get McDavid and then just be decent"? If not, stop putting words in my mouth.

What I HAVE said that part of a cup winning team is franchise talent (along with core and supporting players), and the hardest element of those 3 to find is franchise talent. McDavid goes beyond franchise talent, it might be 10 years before a player with his potential comes along again. Say you give Nylander and Rielly etc... sure your corea nd supporting elements are now weaker but you've added the type of player that is the hardest to add, and you now have a genertaional player to build around moving forward. We don't have that now, and its unlikely we will get that in ths years draft without a top 3 pick, and its possible they could spend 2-3-4-5+ years LOOKING for those players and not find them. So given the chance to add one, even if the price is steep......you take it.

Now if you're Avs and you have MacKinnon, if you're the Predators with Jones......maybe its different.

Your argument started with me stating this, "Wouldn't add a single thing to that. One player is not good enough to win, and proof is everywhere" to a poster saying he would pay "The package STARTS with Nylander + Rielly + This years 1st.. then you can talk about what you have to add". You then quoted me and said this, "But a group like that isn't good enough to win without some top tier talent". I replied that I would sooner be the Hawks and Kings than Pens and Caps. Do you understand where I was coming from yet? Having a franchise talent doesn't give you a leg up on competition for a cup if you have no one else to play with him. Instead of trading those players and adding, we keep those players and add to them, thereby hopefully becoming the Hawks or Kings or worse case scenario, the Caps or the Pens for all of Crosby and Malkin's prime where they need to chase the scrap heap for players cheap enough to play with them.

LeafsEqualDaBest

Feb 2, 2015
No team is getting rid of the #1 overall pick. You could offer Crosby and they won't. There is no chance in hell that any team gets rid of their #1 overall in this draft. Even speculation as to "what it would take" is pointless because:

a) the Leafs don't have anything that the other teams want (players, or a slightly higher pick)

b) no team in their right mind would willingly not draft McDavid if they have the pick

The only way it could happen is if McDavid has a career ending injury between now and the draft

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In 2012 when Edmonton was picking 1st overall everyone said since they need Defense they should go with Ryan Murray. However for whatever reason they took Nail Yakupov in a year where he was not the clear cut #1 like this year. So if Edmonton gets the 1st pick again why would they trade now and not three years ago when it would have made more sense.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
In 2012 when Edmonton was picking 1st overall everyone said since they need Defense they should go with Ryan Murray. However for whatever reason they took Nail Yakupov in a year where he was not the clear cut #1 like this year. So if Edmonton gets the 1st pick again why would they trade now and not three years ago when it would have made more sense.

So you're Buffalo or Edmonton and a generational center is available. There isn't a team in their right mind that's going to weigh what they would provide to acquire McDavid as something equivocal to trade McDavid.

I know...Gretzky...Clarkson...But that number one pick isn't getting traded.

buttman*

Nothing I wouldn't give up. Nothing on this team isn't replaceable.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
If the Leafs don't win the lottery, and are picking somewhere around 4-7, then I think it may actually be possible to trade up for the #2 pick, not the #1.

Imagine if Edmonton is picking #2. Suddenly they are about to pick another center in Eichel, but no one that is expected to be worlds better than what they have with RNH and Draisaitl. So now they might move back in the draft, fill an organizational need with a D man, and bring in a plus.

Toronto trades #5 OA + something for Jack Eichel.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If the Leafs don't win the lottery, and are picking somewhere around 4-7, then I think it may actually be possible to trade up for the #2 pick, not the #1.

Imagine if Edmonton is picking #2. Suddenly they are about to pick another center in Eichel, but no one that is expected to be worlds better than what they have with RNH and Draisaitl. So now they might move back in the draft, fill an organizational need with a D man, and bring in a plus.

Toronto trades #5 OA + something for Jack Eichel.

Eichel is far superior to any of the players they've drafted in the past 5 years. He's a generational player in his own right. The 2nd pick is as immovable as the 1st, imo.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
Kadri, Nylander, Kessel, Bozak, Nonis, TOR 1st, NSH 1st.

That should get it done. I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad