How Much Would You Give up for the 2015 1st Overall Pick?

CalgaryLeaf*

1. Kessel

2. Rielly

3. Nylander

4. Leafs first rd pick in 2015.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Worst asset management in the history of the universe.

Really? For a team about to set off a ground up rebuild, I would do that deal without thinking twice.

Of course, no team with that pick is going to give it up while taking on $20 million in cap hits, but from a Leaf standpoint, seems like a no brainer. Getting McDavid while ridding yourself of $20 million?

Sign this cowboy up.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I would give our entire roster for that pick. Most of the guys we have are replaceable, or no longer wanted, so acquiring a generational talent is a great way to kick-start a rebuild. Thats an asset that only comes around ever couple decades. You literally can't miss

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So you're Buffalo or Edmonton and a generational center is available. There isn't a team in their right mind that's going to weigh what they would provide to acquire McDavid as something equivocal to trade McDavid.

I know...Gretzky...Clarkson...But that number one pick isn't getting traded.
My point was if Edmonton got the 1st pick this year there is no way they would trade it, despite McDavid being a Forward when they need more help at Defense. In 2012 they still took Yakupov when he wasn't a need for them, since they previously selected Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I would give our entire roster for that pick. Most of the guys we have are replaceable, or no longer wanted, so acquiring a generational talent is a great way to kick-start a rebuild. Thats an asset that only comes around ever couple decades. You literally can't miss

For something that only comes around every couple of decades, I should be like 120 or more by now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
No team is getting rid of the #1 overall pick. You could offer Crosby and they won't. There is no chance in hell that any team gets rid of their #1 overall in this draft. Even speculation as to "what it would take" is pointless because:

a) the Leafs don't have anything that the other teams want (players, or a slightly higher pick)

b) no team in their right mind would willingly not draft McDavid if they have the pick

The only way it could happen is if McDavid has a career ending injury between now and the draft

Convince him to refuse to play anywhere but TO.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
leafs would buy all there season tickets for the next 10 years, 20 mil $, ++

money, money ,money is what everybody wants

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If you answered you would as Shanahan/Nonis then you would be saying your job.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

Hmmm...you may want to rethink the idea of using counting stats unless you really think 16 players from the 80's were generational type players

Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and OV in my lifetime. I know people will have more, and I know some will question why Crosby isn't there if OV is, but I think Crosby's injuries have hurt him and I don't give credit for what if.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Hmmm...you may want to rethink the idea of using counting stats unless you really think 16 players from the 80's were generational type players

Orr, Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux, and OV in my lifetime. I know people will have more, and I know some will question why Crosby isn't there if OV is, but I think Crosby's injuries have hurt him and I don't give credit for what if.

Like I said, generational may be a little hyperbolic, because, clearly, my list would look much broader than yours, but I'm not here to argue about the merits of being generational. All I know is that a player like McDavid rarely comes around and thats good enough for me.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Like I said, generational may be a little hyperbolic, because, clearly, my list would look much broader than yours, but I'm not here to argue about the merits of being generational. All I know is that a player like McDavid rarely comes around and thats good enough for me.

I agree with your premise, just not the extent I suppose and that's more on me right now. I hate the idea of a player being great until he is.

IamSamIam

Sep 11, 2006
I could see some rich team (like NYR) offering some poor team (like Arizona) a boat load of money (like $40,000,000) for the 1st overall pick.

SourGrapes

You Kids Out There
Dec 30, 2013
Mimico

I agree with not having Crosby, but I'm not sure Ovechkin belongs in the group. Very close, but I wouldn't have him amongst that group.

As far as generational talents, here's the group I consider at that level:

Richard, Orr, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, and (potentially) McDavid. I know there's a bit of overlap for a few players (Lafleur/Gretzky, Lafleur/Orr, Gretzky/Lemieux) but each player, during their prime, was the best player in the world.

I'm of the belief that gutting a team for a single player is a mistake. I'd kill to have McDavid, but I'm happier having an elite centre, an elite winger, and an elite defenseman (Strome, Nylander, and Rielly). I understand the other side, but I'd just rather keep what we have.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I agree with not having Crosby, but I'm not sure Ovechkin belongs in the group. Very close, but I wouldn't have him amongst that group.

As far as generational talents, here's the group I consider at that level:

Richard, Orr, Lafleur, Gretzky, Lemieux, and (potentially) McDavid. I know there's a bit of overlap for a few players (Lafleur/Gretzky, Lafleur/Orr, Gretzky/Lemieux) but each player, during their prime, was the best player in the world.

I'm of the belief that gutting a team for a single player is a mistake. I'd kill to have McDavid, but I'm happier having an elite centre, an elite winger, and an elite defenseman (Strome, Nylander, and Rielly). I understand the other side, but I'd just rather keep what we have.

I agree. I can't think of a single "generational" player that won a cup without great players on the same team. I can however think of quite a few cup winners with great depth and no "generational" players

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

But I think you are giving credit for yesteryear in OV's case. For almost a half decade his point production has been almost identical to Kessel.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
But I think you are giving credit for yesteryear in OV's case. For almost a half decade his point production has been almost identical to Kessel.

Last 5 seasons?

2 Richards
1 Hart
1 Lindsey
2 1st team AS
3 2nd team AS

Leading the league in goals and points this season. Crosby in contrast has an Art Ross instead of a Richard, but equal for the most part. Difference however is what OV did before those 5 seasons.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Last 5 seasons?

2 Richards
1 Hart
1 Lindsey
2 1st team AS
3 2nd team AS

Leading the league in goals and points this season. Crosby in contrast has an Art Ross instead of a Richard, but equal for the most part. Difference however is what OV did before those 5 seasons.

Again, ever since he mocked Kessel at the AS game, their point production are virtually identical. The trophies don't mean much to me. People like flash. Just look at the farce that is the Norris trophy.

If you are neck and neck with Kessel over such a long period, pretty hard to convince me you are generational. OV is a lot like Allen Iverson. Score more than most but take twice as many shots and be wanting in so many areas.

dwdl21

Jan 4, 2012
Canada
Assuming it will be used to draft Connor McDavid.

Do you think your proposed offer is enough to get the deal done with any teams who could possibly hold that draft pick?

What leaf assets would you be willing to trade away for 2015 1st overall?

EDIT: This was meant as a hypothetical to start some discussion. I think we all know that in reality the pick is very unlikely to be moved, for obvious reasons.

Tragically we have nothing worth the number one pic right now.:cry:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
My ultra realistic legit offer.

Kessel our 1st and our late 1st. That's it but only if we are #4-10. If we are top 3 drop the late 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad