How much will Dan Girardi cost to re-sign?

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Every year I have the same discussion here with people who don't comprehend the difference between restricted and unrestricted free agency.

Girardi will get paid FAR more than McDonagh. If we can resign him for $5.5, it would be a great bargain because I am sure someone will offer him more to get his services without giving up any assets.

He will likely get about $6 a year for a half dozen years, whether it is from us or from someone else. You can say it would be an overpayment, but you have to deal with the market as it is. He will get a UFA salary, not an RFA salary.

If we don't want to pay that, then we will lose him. But expecting him to get an RFA salary or even something merely a little above that is simply not realistic and not serious.

He will get close to $35 over 6 years.
While the bolded is probably true (hope it's not from us), McDonagh did get 5, 5.1 and 5.3 salary his 3 UFA years.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
While the bolded is probably true (hope it's not from us), McDonagh did get 5, 5.1 and 5.3 salary his 3 UFA years.

It was part of a bigger deal. For one, he gets a little more in the RFA years than he would've had he not taken a bit less in the UFA years (compared to what he could've gotten in the open market). Two, he is still years away from being a UFA and anything can happen, so it made sense to lock in right now. For Girardi, he would already be an unrestricted free agent without any wait or risk.

He will get no less than $35 over 6 years, maybe even $40.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
It was part of a bigger deal. For one, he gets a little more in the RFA years than he would've had he not taken a bit less in the UFA years (compared to what he could've gotten in the open market). Two, he is still years away from being a UFA and anything can happen, so it made sense to lock in right now. For Girardi, he would already be an unrestricted free agent without any wait or risk.

He will get no less than $35 over 6 years, maybe even $40.

What has he done to get more than someone like Bouwmeester?

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Bouwmeester never hit UFA status. What did Clarkson do to get what he got?

But if we sign Girardi before he hits UFA status, why would we offer him more than Bouwmeester? Bouwmeester is still getting paid for UFA years.

A long, expensive contract for Girardi would be a mess.

Ross Rhea*

But if we sign Girardi before he hits UFA status, why would we offer him more than Bouwmeester? Bouwmeester is still getting paid for UFA years.

A long, expensive contract for Girardi would be a mess.

FWIW Girardi has had a better career then Bouwmeester. I don't know if he'd be willing to take a team friendly contract in order to stay, but I do know it will be a really difficult decision for him. Almost NO players would voluntarily leave the Rangers.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
FWIW Girardi has had a better career then Bouwmeester. I don't know if he'd be willing to take a team friendly contract in order to stay, but I do know it will be a really difficult decision for him. Almost NO players would voluntarily leave the Rangers.

The bolded is just pure homerism. Jay has been more productive throughout his career and was criminally underrated in Calgary, where he anchored a terrible defense.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The Clarkson contract in all likelihood is going to end up being a bad one and I'm not sure it's indicative of how players of his caliber will end up being paid in the future. He received a contract that is on par with Horton's and we all know that Horton is the superior player.

Of course, the cap is going to go up and that will inflate some contracts. But bad contracts in one free agent year don't necessarily set the market for free agency in following years. We don't use Redden's contract as a baseline and say "well, these defensemen all outperformed him - they should get more than him on the open market." Unless Clarkson surpasses expectations, his contract shouldn't be used as the gold standard either.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The Clarkson contract in all likelihood is going to end up being a bad one.

ALL the unrestricted contracts for quality players are bad ones. Use some logic here: imagine you could get a good player for nothing, giving up zero assets. Great idea, right? You'd pay him fair money, right? You'd even pay him a little bit more than fair money, right? So would 30 GMs.

So how do you differentiate yourself from the other 29 GMs? You offer him so much money that at some point, all the rest of them go, "this is so much money, even though I don't have to give up any assets, to pay the guy so much is insane, so I don't want this guy for free if he comes with this salary."

There's always a downside to acquiring a player. You either have to give up assets or you have to pay a salary that the other 29 GMs regard as crazy.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
ALL the unrestricted contracts for quality players are bad ones. Use some logic here: imagine you could get a good player for nothing, giving up zero assets. Great idea, right? You'd pay him fair money, right? You'd even pay him a little bit more than fair money, right? So would 30 GMs.

So how do you differentiate yourself from the other 29 GMs? You offer him so much money that at some point, all the rest of them go, "this is so much money, even though I don't have to give up any assets, to pay the guy so much is insane, so I don't want this guy for free if he comes with this salary."

There's always a downside to acquiring a player. You either have to give up assets or you have to pay a salary that the other 29 GMs regard as crazy.

And the bolded is exactly how Sather has gotten himself into so much trouble with free agents through the year.

Some contracts are way worse than others. Not all contracts are equally bad - some players receive closer to market value while some are massively overpaid. As Rangers fans, we are very familiar with this.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
And the bolded is exactly how Sather has gotten himself into so much trouble with free agents through the year.

Some contracts are way worse than others. Not all contracts are equally bad - some players receive closer to market value while some are massively overpaid. As Rangers fans, we are very familiar with this.

I agree that if he gets overpaid the way Clarkson got overpaid, it makes no sense. However, he's a better player than Clarkson and so if his cap hit is the same $5.25 per year for a half dozen years on the UFA market, it won't be crazy. If we aren't willing to do that, we should trade him away for a younger asset to avoid losing him for nothing.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It's something that has been an issue for years now. We've mentioned it on these boards before but it's never been a serious focus of discussion. We all complained Gaborik was too soft and unengaged but we all thought Nash, with his big body and power game, would be bring some crash and bang to the elite scorer role. Richards has never been tremendously intense, but nobody thought we'd see the kind of lack of jump we saw last year. Redden was a shell of his earlier self. Drury became known as captain quaalude. Guys like Avery played with an edge at times but were presumed to be trouble in the locker room. We bring in guys like Rupp and Asham to try to have a physical element but they all have zero impact and are past their expiration date. All of our dmen will throw the body but not one of them is a particularly feared or vicious hitter.

G and Cally lead the physical game on defense and offense but, despite both of them being warriors who will play the body over and over, neither is particularly big, vicious of fiery in their personality. Hagelin plays with heart but is tiny. Boyle gets credited with hits but is a gentle giant for his size. Besides him, we don't have a single BIG center and none of them are particularly physical or imposing. We're a very soft team. I think we will ultimately long for a guy like Dubinsky because he played with a similar compete level as Cally but he had a fire in him that was contagious and he was always ready to stand up for his mates, physically, verbally, anytime.

JT Miller

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Let us not forget if he has a great season (say 40 points) his market value will be very high. He's pretty consistent at 30 points a season however but he's only going to be 30 years old. I agree with whoever said term is going to be the sticking point. How old do you want him? 34 or 35? can we get a lower cap if we get him for 6 with the 6th year at a lower number? Does Girardi have it in him to be one of those forever young defenders who play till 40?

Dec 13, 2010
Have a strange feeling that this is going to be a year where Girardi gets exposed a bit. Obviously hope I'm wrong, but I think his leverage/value in contract talks will end up taking a hit because of how he plays this season.

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
Moore has a long way to go to replace Del Zotto. Regardless of DZ's short comings, he is the closest thing we have to a true offensive defenseman. I hope Moore does eclipse DZ as it would be a great thing for this team but I just don't see it happening any time soon.

It would hurt a lot less to lose either of those two than it would to lose Girardi.

The biggest problem with what you just said is that Del Zotto has a long way to go to become a "true offensive defenseman." It's the only real glaring hole in our roster, and a position that Del Zotto comes nowhere near filling. I think Moore is a solid player but I don't think he nor Del Zotto can fill that role.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
well, if we replace him, the UFA dmen list next summer looks something like

Dan Boyle
Dion Phaneuf
Kimmo Timonen
Andrei Markov
Joni Pitkanen
Andrej Meszaros
Marek Zidlicky
Kyle Quincey
Sami Salo
Brooks Orpik
Willie Mitchell
Nick Schultz
Henrik Tallinder
Dan Girardi
Stephane Robidas
Dennis Seidenberg
Jon Ericsson
Chris Phillips
Rostislav Klesa
Matt Greene
Derek Morris
Matt Niskanen

and I'm gonna stop there. If the cap numbers work out, I'm all for signing him at $5.5M or less. I agree with Eco. We're pretty @#$%ed without him. Relying on the UFA market probably means we will be overpaying someone else anyways and trading means we are going to lose some assets people will undoubtedly &!tch about.

totally agree with this... He is the oldest of our defensemen, but why risk free agency when he is already (basically) part of our core at this point? That cap hit is not very large in the big picture, IMO...

Furthermore, didn't Strait just sign for $7M per year? he is 35... Girardi is 32, and could probably be gobbled up for less than $6M at the most (realistically)...

I think it makes sense to keep him. It's expensive, but who would replace that talent? Nobody is the answer, not at $5-6M

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
totally agree with this... He is the oldest of our defensemen, but why risk free agency when he is already (basically) part of our core at this point? That cap hit is not very large in the big picture, IMO...

Furthermore, didn't Strait just sign for $7M per year? he is 35... Girardi is 32, and could probably be gobbled up for less than $6M at the most (realistically)...

I think it makes sense to keep him. It's expensive, but who would replace that talent? Nobody is the answer, not at $5-6M

Girardi is 29.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Seidenberg just signed a 4 year/$16 million extension in Boston. Do you think this is a good comparable for Girardi?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Seidenberg is IMO a better player, but it should be a comparable.

Great deal for Boston!

Girardi's current contract has an AAV of $3.325 million. He will obviously want a raise. I think the $3.75-$4.15 range is where he will fall. I don't think Seidenberg is much better than him. I think it's pretty close for what they provide. So I can see Girardi signing around $3.85 AAV. But who knows.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Not sure I agree Seidenberg > Girardi. That being said, 4 years is certainly an ideal term. The AAV needs to be <5 million, otherwise I think it's time to part ways. I have to believe there will be a team out there willing to dish out 5+ for Girardi--too many clubs in need of defensemen. Whether or not Girardi would be willing to give a discount to remain in New York and be a part of one of best D-corps in the NHL remains to be seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad