How much will Dan Girardi cost to re-sign?

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Hi guys,

Just wanted to get a general gauge on if you guys thought Dan Girardi would be brought back. Also wanted to know if its as sure of a bet that others believe it may be.

With Staal, McDonagh and Del Zotto would your money be better spent else where?

What would you say he'll make?

is 5.5 too much?

cheers

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
I would think it's pretty much a sure bet. 5.5 is way too much, considering we just signed McDonagh at 4.7 and he is our best Dman... I could see him resigning for high 3s, low 4s, but I'll defer to others more knowledgeable about our cap issues.

Just as a heads up: Fans from other teams often mention Del Zotto as a top 4 dman because they see his overall ratings on EA sports video games. Rangers fans have given him affectionate nicknames such as Delzaster, DelZero, etc...

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get a general gauge on if you guys thought Dan Girardi would be brought back. Also wanted to know if its as sure of a bet that others believe it may be.

is 5.5 too much?

cheers

Staal, McD, and MDZ are LHD. I think 5.5M sounds about right. Whether or not they cough it up is another point. I can't see how this team moves forward w/o their #1 RHD though so I imagine they will do whatever they can to keep him.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I would think it's pretty much a sure bet. 5.5 is way too much, considering we just signed McDonagh at 4.7 and he is our best Dman... I could see him resigning for high 3s, low 4s, but I'll defer to others more knowledgeable about our cap issues.

Just as a heads up: Fans from other teams often mention Del Zotto as a top 4 dman because they see his overall ratings on EA sports video games. Rangers fans have given him affectionate nicknames such as Delzaster, DelZero, etc...

Heads up as well. Fans from this board crush Del Zotto for the one bad season he had (out of what, 4 seasons) and do give him childish nicknames and ignore the fact that he is a top 4 defenseman.

With regards to Girardi... if he took something along 4M I could see it. 4.5 maybe. Anything above that and I believe he is gone.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There are a lot of "ifs" involved here. Unfortunately, he's the only defender we have who can comfortably play the right side while getting top pairing minutes. So barring a monumental jump in McIlrath's development, or unforeseen trade, we'll probably have to retain him. Anything at or below $4.75M per and the Rangers probably break out the check book. The term is going to be the sticking point. He's 30 years old and with his style of play his body is bound to break down eventually. Sure, he might be the Rob Scuderi type and stay healthy into his late 30's, but that's quite the gamble. 5 or 6 years at best.

Another scenario, albeit highly unlikely, is that the Rangers get trounced this season and the management "cleans house" in the spring. We have a lot of notable FA's coming up who are part of the "core" that was established over the last few years, and the Rangers could simply start selling people off at the deadline to load up on picks and prospects.

In my opinion, the real wild card here is if Dion Phaneuf hits the open market. I know people around here hate him because of the Sauer hit, but he's a big, physical defender who can play the right side, and provide a boost to the power play. Plus I know the Rangers swooned over him in his draft year and have been linked to him several times since then.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
On a related note, you really gotta love these undrafted success stories.

From nowhere to multi-million dollar paydays. St Louis, Kunitz, Gorges, Penner, etc (Avery? :sarcasm:)

Easy to root for them.

and 99 others

Jul 27, 2011
Heads up as well. Fans from this board crush Del Zotto for the one bad season he had (out of what, 4 seasons) and do give him childish nicknames and ignore the fact that he is a top 4 defenseman.

With regards to Girardi... if he took something along 4M I could see it. 4.5 maybe. Anything above that and I believe he is gone.

not saying i agree with the nicknames. I love Del Z, but at this rate John Moore's gonna replace him as a top 4 on this team

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
In my opinion, the real wild card here is if Dion Phaneuf hits the open market. I know people around here hate him because of the Sauer hit, but he's a big, physical defender who can play the right side, and provide a boost to the power play. Plus I know the Rangers swooned over him in his draft year and have been linked to him several times since then.

Phaneuf would get PAID in free agency. No doubt about it. 5.5 for Girardi may look like a bargain in comparison, especially with the cap projected to rise. I could easily see Dion getting 7.5 from a team like Philly.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
not saying i agree with the nicknames. I love Del Z, but at this rate John Moore's gonna replace him as a top 4 on this team

Moore has a long way to go to replace Del Zotto. Regardless of DZ's short comings, he is the closest thing we have to a true offensive defenseman. I hope Moore does eclipse DZ as it would be a great thing for this team but I just don't see it happening any time soon.

It would hurt a lot less to lose either of those two than it would to lose Girardi.

and 99 others

Jul 27, 2011
Moore has a long way to go to replace Del Zotto. Regardless of DZ's short comings, he is the closest thing we have to a true offensive defenseman. I hope Moore does eclipse DZ as it would be a great thing for this team but I just don't see it happening any time soon.

It would hurt a lot less to lose either of those two than it would to lose Girardi.

Agree with all of your points. I do however, think that this year is going to be a big leap for Moore in his first full year with a coach who's impressed with his play.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Phaneuf would get PAID in free agency. No doubt about it. 5.5 for Girardi may look like a bargain in comparison, especially with the cap projected to rise. I could easily see Dion getting 7.5 from a team like Philly.

I doubt it. The best defenders in the league set the bar in the $6.5 - $7M range. I'd wager that Phaneuf gets an extension of his current salary at best. I know there is the "free agent factor" here, but I don't see him making more than guys like Karlsson or Doughty.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Hi guys,

is 5.5 too much?

cheers

I would bring G back over Del Zotto 10 out of 10 times. MDZ is as brain dead as they come. All the athletic ability and skill in the world, which we see from him plenty of times, can't make up for his knack for horrible turnovers, missed reads and constantly shooting the puck directly into a defender's shins. Not to mention we have McD and Staal as our top four lefties and Moore who is (no pun intended) MORE than capable of being our bottom pairing lefty. Girardi is our only truly reliable top four righty. We could use an offensive minded, top four worthy righty as well, but I can't see us letting G go.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
He can probably get 5.5 in FA, but I'd say 4.5 is the right number for him.
As good as Girardi is defensively, he doesn't have the offensive game to warrant more than that.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If Girardi asks for anything north of $4.5 I think NYR let him walk.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I doubt it. The best defenders in the league set the bar in the $6.5 - $7M range. I'd wager that Phaneuf gets an extension of his current salary at best. I know there is the "free agent factor" here, but I don't see him making more than guys like Karlsson or Doughty.

Karlsson and Doughty were coming off of their ELC's under likely a lower cap.

But yeah, his new contract will likely just be a slight raise.

Re: Girardi.

I want to see how Girardi does under AV before signing him to an extension. He is basically the prototypical Tortorella D-man, but AV requires a lot more from his D and I don't think Girardi has the talent to back it up.

His play along the offensive blue line leaves a lot to be desired, and his breakouts are terrible.

I think a Girardi extension could potentially come a lot cheaper if it is signed in February rather than October.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Better for the Rangers to try to sign him for cheaper before he hits free agency. I think that would be in the neighborhood of $5 mil per anyway. I would try for 4-5 years.

He hits free agency I expect he could go well over $6 mil per--if Clarkson or Clowe can get that much now and with the cap going up next year. He's no superstar but he has proven to be a solid top pairing righty right side defenseman who can play major minutes in a shutdown role against the league's best players--pk very well--play physical and without making very many trips to the penalty box. He would be a solid addition to just about every team in the league.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He can probably get 5.5 in FA, but I'd say 4.5 is the right number for him.
As good as Girardi is defensively, he doesn't have the offensive game to warrant more than that.

There will be a bidding war over him if he's available in July. Look at what Clowe, Clarkson got with the cap going down. A proven 1st pairing defenseman >>>>>2nd line wingers with issues. Somebody will pay him stupid money. There's always someone out there. Clowe and Clarkson are just two proofs.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
There will be a bidding war over him if he's available in July. Look at what Clowe, Clarkson got with the cap going down. A proven 1st pairing defenseman >>>>>2nd line wingers with issues. Somebody will pay him stupid money. There's always someone out there. Clowe and Clarkson are just two proofs.
No disagreement from me. If he makes it to FA, the Rangers can't afford him.
They both want to get a deal done. Rangers like him and he likes the team.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I think the Rangers will try to sign him for around $4.5-5M. Anything more than that and I think the Rangers will let him walk and go after another defenseman via free agency.

As mentioned above, I could also see the Rangers going after Phaneuf, he is the type of player that Sather salivates over.

There are plenty of older, offensive defensemen that the Rangers may go after if our PP stinks it up again. Markov, Timonen, Boyle (who is a righty shot).

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I think the Rangers will try to sign him for around $4.5-5M. Anything more than that and I think the Rangers will let him walk and go after another defenseman via free agency.

As mentioned above, I could also see the Rangers going after Phaneuf, he is the type of player that Sather salivates over.

There are plenty of older, offensive defensemen that the Rangers may go after if our PP stinks it up again. Markov, Timonen, Boyle (who is a righty shot).

Boyle is exactly the type of d-man I like, but he carries a lot of risk due to his age.

Stay the hell away from Phaneuf though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I don't know what the Rangers are going to do but replacing Girardi with a comparable right side 1st pairing defenseman who can even play 20 minutes a game not the 26 or so Girardi regularly plays is going to be costly--in terms of players to trade for such a player if one is available and cost and contract of that player or even if as an unrestricted free agent it's still going to be very costly--maybe more so as far as contract is concerned.

Like Markov a lot though he's injury prone. Would rather not go down the Timonen road (better offensively but not nearly as good defensively and much older) or the Boyle road (too old).

Girardi just may be the best and least expensive option to take that top right side position available. Stralman will be a UFA too but is really a second pairing guy. Not a guy who I'd want playing 25 minutes a night game in and game out.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

That would surely extend Philly's inability to build a competent defense, so I'm all for it. Phaneuf at that price would be insanity.

I see Girardi taking a reasonable deal to stay with the team. Not a bargain, but not a crazy overpayment either. He's been treated very, very well here. NYR took him from a guy on an AHL tryout to a top pair NHL defender, and the team has always made sure he has great partners by his side. I really can't imagine why he'd want to leave unless money is his first priority by a longshot and some other team offers him a huge overpayment.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
He'll probably ask for a similar 5 years / 27m deal like Bouwmeester got. Both players will be 30 in the year they'd start that contract, and similar point totals last 2-3 years.

Hopefully Sather can get him for less than 5 in a 4~ year deal. I'd actually wouldn't mind if they slightly overpaid him to dwindle the years down to 3, maybe 5.25 per?

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
It won't be long before 4m is the average salary. I don't think you can compare McD's 4.7m and Girardi, because as we all know, McD may very well be the teams best blueliner, he was also a RFA not a UFA.

Girardi on the open market garner's a hefty penny. Jay Bouwmeester and Andrew Ference both essentially signed contracts as UFAs and both log big minutes playing a more shutdown type role. Bouwmeester is a better skater than DG and Ference is 4 years older. JayBo signed for 5 yr 27m at 5.4m per and Ference went with a 4 yr 13m at 3.25m per. Certainly Ference's age plays a factor though 5yr 25m at 5m per seems like it'd be the likely sweet spot for DG. However next season team's may not be pressed against the cap as much so every offseason market has it's own fluctuations.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Have to see hoiw he does this year. If he repeats last years performance he'll get about 4 mil for 4 or 5 years. He should not get a raise if he repeats last years performance unless it's a 2 or 3 year contract but I assume he would want about 5 years minimum. If he has another all star year he'll want 6+ and we'll let him go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad