How much will Dan Girardi cost to re-sign?

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I think that Seidenberg's signing is a blessing for us. It's a SWEET deal for Boston, but it sets a precedent for Girardi now. Seidenberg and Girardi are very similar players.

Since 2009:

Seidenberg has missed only 8 games.
Girardi has missed only 4 games.

Seidenberg has had 4, 7, 5, 4 goals. 20 total
Girardi has had 6, 4, 5, 2 goals. 17 total

Seidenberg has had 32, 32, 23, 17 points. 104 total
Giradi has had 24, 31, 29, 14 points. 98 total

Seidenberg has had 166, 161, 154, 115 hits. 596 total
Girardi has had 178, 195, 211, 102 hits. 686 total

Seidenberg has had 215, 174, 151, 115 blocked shots. 655 total
Girardi has had 180, 236, 185, 125 blocked shots. 726 total

Seidenberg was born 7/18/1981
Girardi was born 4/29/1984

Seidenberg with 3 more goals/6 more points. Girardi with 90 more hits/71 more blocks.

Seidenberg puts up slightly more points. Girardi registers slightly more hits and blocks. Girardi is a bit younger. I can't really think of two more comparable players. I would love to get G locked up at 4M.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Girardi tells you he won't sign for less than McDonagh, you have to trade him by the deadline. While he is a great player who I hope never leaves you can't afford to pay him that much especially because we don't know how he will do with the new system, not to mention the insane mileage the old system put on him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Sather should try to strike while the iron is hot and nail down Girardi using the Seidenberg deal as a baseline.

He won't.

It'll go til next summer, and the Rangers will be involved in some sort of bidding war for him.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Henrik Lundqvist told reporters Wednesday that he’s withdrawing himself from contract talks, leaving it in the hands of his agent, Don Meehan, not wanting any further distraction.

The lines of communication remain open between Meehan and the Rangers’ front office, so talks will continue into the season.

The Rangers know Lundqvist will be the highest-paid goalie in the NHL and the highest-paid Ranger when all is said and done. That’s a guarantee. So I don’t think salary, in the end, will be the last hurdle in a deal.

The biggest issue is term. Lundqvist is 31, still lots of great hockey in front of him, no question. But a maximum term deal of eight years makes the Rangers uncomfortable, I’m guessing, given that he’d be 40 when that deal expired.

So the trick here is to find something term-wise that works for both sides. Six years? Seven years?

Lundqvist is in the last year of a deal that carries a $6.875-million cap hit. Pekka Rinne and Tuuka Rask have the highest cap hit in the league for goalies right now at $7 million. My guess is Lundqvist will make north of $8 million in his new deal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/26942/rumblings-pens-backup-lundqvists-talks

6 more years.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The Seidenberg contract is a far better comparable for Girardi than some of the offensive defensemen contracts that have been mentioned in this thread.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I see no reason last season or last night to keep MDZ past trade deadline. It would be nice if he turns it around but I do not see that happening. Him and Boyle should used in a deal somewhere to bring in new youth or picks.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'd be alright if G was signed for something between the Scuderi and Seabrook contracts. I see him as a player that fits in between those two comparable, one on the undervalued low end, and the other who is a step above G.

5-6yrs at 4.8-5.3 would be what I'd feel comfortable with. He isn't a guy that I would want to lose. 25 minute munchers who don't lose you games are pretty hard to come by.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Seidenberg contract is a far better comparable for Girardi than some of the offensive defensemen contracts that have been mentioned in this thread.

Seidenberg may be a comparable but it will be a low end comparable. The B's got him for cheap and he is older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad